RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 Trans. Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 08:32 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

There was one aftermarket filter that was a metal mesh. I want to say it was carquest? Defiantly was not Advanced Auto or Autozone. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit, it is Carquest (which is likely made by Wix).

Last edited by carguy07; 12-10-08 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-11-08, 08:02 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
There was one aftermarket filter that was a metal mesh. I want to say it was carquest? Defiantly was not Advanced Auto or Autozone. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit, it is Carquest (which is likely made by Wix).
Carquest is where i got my mesh filter from, around two years ago now.
Old 12-11-08, 08:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

They just opened some Carquest stores here in Miami. I used to get my Amsoil ATF from them when I lived in Bradenton, Florida, and I'll have to check into this next time I go by them.
Old 07-19-09, 07:58 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
Yes. Plus you also have the A/T temp light light. I have never been able to find out what temp this light is set at but I have never heard of anyone having this light come on no matter waht type of towing or driving conditions. Another sign that maybe the trans is not running too hot.
I know I'm really late to this topic, but my wife's RX is so trouble-free, I rarely need to research anything!!

I was searching for the metal mesh filter which used to be common, as I know hers has the 'paper' one, and I'd much rather have the metal style. Carquest needs to get a call. Forever reusable, and there are a couple million Camry's out there without transmission troubles.

On the A/T temperature gauge. I'd put money on it illuminating right at 251°F (121°C), because we have one of those monster 40' diesel pusher motor homes, which also has a trans temp light, and I've verified the temp it illuminates by researching Allison transmissions.

Further research showed this is the temperature at which petroleum-based, i.e. not synthetic, transmission oil/fluid starts to burn. As soon as it cooks, it's a horrible lubricant.

Synthetics should be good for at least another 50°F, but at that point, other parts are getting roasted. Synthetic motor oil is much higher...close to 380°F, IIRC.

Her car gets driven really gently, yet when I took it into the crooks at Las Vegas Lexus, or whoever they are this month, for a shifting oddity. It shifts 'twice' into 1st when moving from neutral when it's warm, but not reverse...they said "it's normal"...yeah, you say that, but it just started doing it. It's much like a partial engagement of the clutches for a split-second, then full-engagement.

Their claim was the transmission fluid was really, really burned, and that it needs to be changed...y'know, the fluid which never needs changing...IMMEDIATELY. I took it home, changed it myself, and it wasn't bad at all. A little discolored, but it smelled fine.

The loaner RX350 we had did the same thing, with under 20K miles on it, so to them, it is normal. Not good, but normal.

Dealerships employ morons and salesmen. Salesmen are merely morons on a mission to separate you from your money, period.
Old 07-19-09, 02:49 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
I know I'm really late to this topic, but my wife's RX is so trouble-free, I rarely need to research anything!!

I was searching for the metal mesh filter which used to be common, as I know hers has the 'paper' one, and I'd much rather have the metal style. Carquest needs to get a call. Forever reusable, and there are a couple million Camry's out there without transmission troubles.

On the A/T temperature gauge. I'd put money on it illuminating right at 251°F (121°C), because we have one of those monster 40' diesel pusher motor homes, which also has a trans temp light, and I've verified the temp it illuminates by researching Allison transmissions.

Further research showed this is the temperature at which petroleum-based, i.e. not synthetic, transmission oil/fluid starts to burn. As soon as it cooks, it's a horrible lubricant.

Synthetics should be good for at least another 50°F, but at that point, other parts are getting roasted. Synthetic motor oil is much higher...close to 380°F, IIRC.

Her car gets driven really gently, yet when I took it into the crooks at Las Vegas Lexus, or whoever they are this month, for a shifting oddity. It shifts 'twice' into 1st when moving from neutral when it's warm, but not reverse...they said "it's normal"...yeah, you say that, but it just started doing it. It's much like a partial engagement of the clutches for a split-second, then full-engagement.

Their claim was the transmission fluid was really, really burned, and that it needs to be changed...y'know, the fluid which never needs changing...IMMEDIATELY. I took it home, changed it myself, and it wasn't bad at all. A little discolored, but it smelled fine.

The loaner RX350 we had did the same thing, with under 20K miles on it, so to them, it is normal. Not good, but normal.

Dealerships employ morons and salesmen. Salesmen are merely morons on a mission to separate you from your money, period.
You tell it like it is don't you Kelly? I don't have a high "fool" tolerance myself. (where are the LOL's, it's just not right without 'em)