RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Toyota coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 06:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Toyota coolant

I picked up some Toyota coolant last night @ my local Toyota dealer. I was expecting to pay maybe $20.00 tops, Well it was $27.00. I almost had an anxiety attack when I saw the invoice. This is the regular long life coolant (red) not the pink stuff. When I went home to dilute it, I have to admit that I have never seen coolant like this before. It looks like cherry cool-aid/cough syrup combined. Interesting stuff.
Old 10-31-08, 07:20 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I have never used the pink, but the red is the best stuff I have ever seen in my life. It seems like it never breaks down, no gook, no gel, nothing. Just stays nice and clean. Worth every penny to me.
Old 10-31-08, 07:25 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Toyota Red FTW..........nothing else goes in my car.
Old 10-31-08, 07:29 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought coolant was green, granted its been since i was in high school since ive done any work like that myself
Old 10-31-08, 07:35 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
i thought coolant was green, granted its been since i was in high school since ive done any work like that myself

Toyota whips up their own brew. Very good stuff!
Old 10-31-08, 07:39 AM
UNOHOO

ah i see, well i got my coolant flushed 2 years ago at jiffy lube before i started working on it myself, im guessing they didnt have that kind of coolant as they didnt have type -iv compliant tranny fluid, would what they use be harmful ie. making deposits or any crap like that throughout the system? Ive never had any cooling issues or anything
Old 10-31-08, 08:07 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

ah i see, well i got my coolant flushed 2 years ago at jiffy lube before i started working on it myself, im guessing they didnt have that kind of coolant as they didnt have type -iv compliant tranny fluid, would what they use be harmful ie. making deposits or any crap like that throughout the system? Ive never had any cooling issues or anything
Thats a very good question Keith, some will probably say that it wont hurt anything, others may say change it out. I personally would have it flushed at the dealer to the red stuff.
Old 10-31-08, 08:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Red or the pink stuff is fine, I wouldn't put any other coolant other than the Toyota stuff in there. I also recommend now to add 1-2 bottles (2 if you are in warmer weather) of Royal Purple Purple Ice coolant additive (Pep Boys is the common place to find this) over 1 bottle of Redline Water Wetter. I noticed with the WaterWetter that I get the appearance of floaters (think of pond scum) in my reservoir tank.
Old 10-31-08, 10:08 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by lexus114
Thats a very good question Keith, some will probably say that it wont hurt anything, others may say change it out. I personally would have it flushed at the dealer to the red stuff.
Keith? my names Keenan lol, i am going to do a coolant flush before the end of the year so its good to have a plan prior ya know?
Old 10-31-08, 10:37 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Red or the pink stuff is fine, I wouldn't put any other coolant other than the Toyota stuff in there. I also recommend now to add 1-2 bottles (2 if you are in warmer weather) of Royal Purple Purple Ice coolant additive (Pep Boys is the common place to find this) over 1 bottle of Redline Water Wetter. I noticed with the WaterWetter that I get the appearance of floaters (think of pond scum) in my reservoir tank.
what does the royal purple additive do exactly? also since i have been running on jiffy lube coolant when i do the flush should i get something to put in there after a drain to clean it out and then drain again before fill up on the good *****?
Old 10-31-08, 11:27 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Keith? my names Keenan lol, i am going to do a coolant flush before the end of the year so its good to have a plan prior ya know?
Sorry man
Old 10-31-08, 11:49 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

what does the royal purple additive do exactly? also since i have been running on jiffy lube coolant when i do the flush should i get something to put in there after a drain to clean it out and then drain again before fill up on the good *****?
Well, I believe the WaterWetter is supposed to improve the heat transfer to the coolant by not having the bubbles that reduce surface contact of the liquid to the metal. They do sell products for helping to flush before coolant changes, but I'd just run the system with 100% water for a number of minutes (or until it runs clear on draining) between coolant.
Old 10-31-08, 11:52 AM
UNOHOO

Sorry man
no big deal
Old 10-31-08, 11:53 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by bob2200
Well, I believe the WaterWetter is supposed to improve the heat transfer to the coolant by not having the bubbles that reduce surface contact of the liquid to the metal. They do sell products for helping to flush before coolant changes, but I'd just run the system with 100% water for a number of minutes (or until it runs clear on draining) between coolant.
oh ok yea thats makes a lot of sense, word
Old 10-31-08, 10:59 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I picked up some Toyota coolant last night @ my local Toyota dealer. I was expecting to pay maybe $20.00 tops, Well it was $27.00. I almost had an anxiety attack when I saw the invoice. This is the regular long life coolant (red) not the pink stuff. When I went home to dilute it, I have to admit that I have never seen coolant like this before. It looks like cherry cool-aid/cough syrup combined. Interesting stuff.
LOL- And the $27. is not even retail, I think it's about $32. retail. That is some of the finest coolant I have ever seen though. When I changed the original out in my DIL's RX at 97k mi. it absolutely looked like it had just been poured in. I have worked in automotive all my life and I have never seen coolant that holds up like that. I like it so well that at 35k mi. I took the pink extra long life out of my wife's '02 Camry and put the red in. The thing I don't like about the pink is where ever it spills (as in opening the rad. cap), it leaves this white residue. Looks like heck! I even recently bought more to change my '04 F-150 from the long life Gold to Toyota red. When I first bought the red for my DIL's RX a little over 2 yrs. ago I could buy it on coupon at the Toyota dealer for $11.95 a gallon! I was in shock when I bought it for my truck and it was $22. on coupon.

Quick Reply: Toyota coolant