RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Headlight "lense" Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 06:04 PM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight "lense" Removal?

Hi all, I'm thinking about removing my stock headlights and cleaning the inside (also removing the orange turn signal lense) instead of purchasing new aftermarkets. I haven't taken out the headlight yet but so far I can see they're three clips on top. Just wondering if anyone has removed the headlight "lense" before and can offer any tips.

I've got directions on removing the the headlight itself. Just want help with removing the headlight "lense" and any proper pre-cautions I should take prior to and after removing it. THANKS!
Old 11-05-08, 07:40 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Put the whole headlight in the oven at 300 degrees for 5 minutes. Take it out, quickly (with gloves or something to protect your hands/body) pry the lens off with a few screwdrivers. It's EXTREMELY messy, so beware. Also make sure none of the adhesive glue gets on the inside of the lens or on the chrome, because it will chemically etch the surfaces.

Are you sure the inside of the lens is dirty? Rx300's are infamous for having sort of like a "haze" on the outside top portion of the lens, many mistaken it for being on the inside. The only way the inside can get dirty is if you have a leak and water/dirt is getting in there... which is very unlikely.

Try to clay and use an aggressive-mild-fine rubbing compound to see if it is indeed on the outside before you think about removing the lens. It's a pain, trust me- i've done it several times. Nevermind sealing it back up, where you have to put the pieces in the oven again and pressure them back together and have to deal with silicone- ICK drives me nuts just thinking about it.
Old 11-07-08, 03:34 PM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

thanks! sounds like alot of work, I might just try it though and if I mess up I'll just buy new headlights. I guess I might order a halo kit as well. So do I have to pre-heat the oven?

No sure how the inside got dirty, but I can see dust and dirt inside on the housing, so I figure the inside lense is probably dirty as well.
Old 11-07-08, 03:57 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Remove all bulbs. Pre-heat oven at 300 degrees. Put headlight in for 4-5 minutes.

And be careful when you remove the lens...