RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Smelly Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 06:33 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkr300
ya there really wasnt a need for that first bit
what can i say? im an over achiever, i like to take it to the next level
Old 12-08-08, 10:09 PM
lexdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I searched the car for any left overs and nothing plus I don't really let anyone eat on the car. Rented a carpet shampooer and cleaned all the carpets. The car smells allot better but still a small amount of odor can be noticed.

We haven't had to many sunny days so haven't tried putting dryer sheets in it was thinking about putting a couple on top of the cabin filter in the glove box ?

Has anybody tried that before ? Any ideas if it may ruin the A/C system ?
Old 12-09-08, 05:00 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Be careful, the fan is either right above or below the filter and will draw in that sheet. Maybe someone here with a better photographic memory than me can tell which side that fan is, but it's only inches away.

I inherited my '01 from my ex who didn't take very good care of it at all and for 2 years I couldn't get near it to ensure it was being maintained, etc. She had a dog in it a lot and as you can imagine there was a certain level of stink when I got it back. It's taken some steady work and some swear words to nurse this thing back to health inside and out. I used some industrial carpet cleaner, then a shot of pet odor remover that contains hungry enzymes, changed the cabin filter and sprayed the new one with Ozium every so often. Smells fine now!
Old 12-09-08, 07:17 AM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by lexdog
So I searched the car for any left overs and nothing plus I don't really let anyone eat on the car. Rented a carpet shampooer and cleaned all the carpets. The car smells allot better but still a small amount of odor can be noticed.

We haven't had to many sunny days so haven't tried putting dryer sheets in it was thinking about putting a couple on top of the cabin filter in the glove box ?

Has anybody tried that before ? Any ideas if it may ruin the A/C system ?
Do NOT stick any thing loose in the path of the air/air-ducts. You may not be able to retrieve it and it may cause damage. Just get a new filter with activated charcoal [standard]. You can also try running at high heat.

Odor causing bacteria has been removed form things that absorb them (carpet). Lucky that you have leather seats. [That reminds me if you prefer the leather smell, you may get the leather treatment from Lexus]. Now you are dealing with the air volume in your RX. Couple of sunny days and time will take care of it.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-09-08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-11-08, 08:19 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Griot's Garage sells a leather scent spray that my wife loves in her car after we've cleaned it up. I don't know if it masks anything, but it's a good leathery smell!
Old 12-13-08, 01:08 AM
dimsumboy
Driver School Candidate

lol I went fishing few times with my RX and one time on the way home the ice chest knock to the side and spill 4 striped bass and 1 halibut all over the trunk, man my car stinks so bad I cant drive it the next day. so what I did was shampoo the carpet, as for the interior I squeeze like 4-5 lemon into a spray bottle with water and use it as a wipe, and wipe the the whole interior few times and with the leave few fresh lemons in the car as car freshener, then open all the windows for like 2 days straight, and THEN alot of frebreeze into the fresh carpet, few days later its very fresh! I think the lemon did the trick!
Old 12-13-08, 12:27 PM
ACZ
Driver School Candidate

Lexdog,

You left out a very important part of the story ..... Did you catch any fish?