RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Stereo integration

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 07:20 PM
Chester916
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down RX300 Stereo integration

Okay so for the past 3 months ive been researching how im going to do the stereo/head unit set up in my 1999 RX300. I finally have everything i am going to install in my car.I have my 2 subs in a seperate ported box, amp, 4 gauge wiring, and just this week purchased an Alpine single din head unit. I really wanted my stereo/head unit setup to be very clean and simple. So far i have only found that, installing an aftermarket head unit wont be clean and simple. Usually i like factory oem looking setups more than aftermarket, However on this model i did not like the look and feel of everything. So i ended up buying that head unit and im trying to find the best way to integrate it other than just mounting it up just below the shifter. I also know that taking out the stock head unit (that is combined with the AC controls) will eliminate the ability to control my AC.

Any cleaner options to installing this head unit without losing my AC controls?

If i had realized how stupid the head unit configuration was, before i purchased it, I wouldn't have. I don't understand why Lexus designed ONLY the RX this way.

Also if anybody ever found the diagram of the speaker wiring, I would greatly appreciate if they posted the diagram or a link to the diagram.
Old 12-19-08, 06:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have not messed with stereo stuff for over 20 years in an automobile. But what about just adding an amp,and more powerful speakers to the factory unit? Can`t that be done? and then you won`t mess everything else up.
Ryan
Old 12-19-08, 11:20 AM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea thats the problem with rx300 stereo.... i had to remove the radio and cut radio face plate off and after cutting the faceplate off i use it has my blue print to make a custom dash kit... my a/c controller was relocated into glovebox.