RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oxygen sensors and thermostat issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 10:46 AM
Jadedpanth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so I'm clear on all this lingo...a 99 rx300 should have 3 O2 sensors, 2 a/f sensors, and 1 mass air flow sensor...is that right? I feel like I need to take an auto maintenance class. I'm just so tired of getting taken for a ride by these auto repair shops.
Old 12-30-08, 10:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadedpanth
Just so I'm clear on all this lingo...a 99 rx300 should have 3 O2 sensors, 2 a/f sensors, and 1 mass air flow sensor...is that right? I feel like I need to take an auto maintenance class. I'm just so tired of getting taken for a ride by these auto repair shops.
Almost.

Two A/F sensors, 1 O2 sensor and 1 MAF.

Let me show some photos.
Old 12-30-08, 10:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Bank 2 Sensor 1 A/F sensor. Visible when you open up the hood right on the front of the engine block.
Attached Thumbnails Oxygen sensors and thermostat issues-noprecat.jpg  
Old 12-30-08, 10:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Bank 1, Sensor 1 A/F sensor Visible behind the engine block.
Attached Thumbnails Oxygen sensors and thermostat issues-img_0833.jpg  
Old 12-30-08, 10:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

O2 sensor. Located just after the catalytic converter below the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Oxygen sensors and thermostat issues-img_1273.jpg  
Old 12-30-08, 11:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Finally, the MAF sensor. The difference here is that I have a different kind of air intake, but I use the same exact sensor. You will find it located just to the left of the big black airbox on the right side of the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails Oxygen sensors and thermostat issues-img_2785.jpg  
Old 12-30-08, 11:08 AM
Jadedpanth
Driver School Candidate

So I guess I'm confused then. My bf replaced an O2 sensor under the hood, not next to the c. converter. Are the O2 sensor and A/F sensor the same part under the hood? And if so, what's with the terminology differences?

Last edited by Jadedpanth; 12-30-08 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-30-08, 11:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

So I guess I'm confused then. My bf replaced an O2 sensor in the front of the car, not the back. Are the O2 sensor and A/F sensor the same thing?
They can be called that on certain vehicles, but technically on the RX300, the A/F sensor is actually a different design than the O2 sensor, and the 2 A/F sensors due a different job than the O2 sensor by the converter.

I think what he must have replaced is an A/F sensor.
Old 12-30-08, 11:35 AM
Jadedpanth
Driver School Candidate

So according to the guy from the japanese auto place, it's entirely possible that I put an O2 sensor in where a a/f sensor is supposed to be...but I mean, the book that we bought told me that was what I was supposed to do. I'm so confused now.
Old 12-30-08, 11:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

So according to the guy from the japanese auto place, it's entirely possible that I put an O2 sensor in where a a/f sensor is supposed to be...but I mean, the book that we bought told me that was what I was supposed to do. I'm so confused now.
Its quite possible that is exactly what happened. And it will not perform like that. An 02 sensor will not take the place of an a/f sensor. (although it will fit in their)
Old 12-30-08, 11:51 AM
Jadedpanth
Driver School Candidate

This is ridiculous. I mean...why would they even sell front O2 sensors for my vehicle if there arent any?

::edit::

Firestone called me and said that regardless of what lexus calls them, they are still considered O2 sensors (he said there was a little A/F in parenthesis). So I'm hoping that means we only need to change one of them. This whole thing is giving me a freaking headache. I just want a trustworthy person to look at my car and be honest with me.

Last edited by Jadedpanth; 12-30-08 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-30-08, 12:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The codes you showed me earlier don't indicate that would be the issue. I think it's the ignition coils. The P0171 and the P0125 sometimes show up misfires (and they also do with A/F sensor codes). However, none of the codes you showed me winds up being a true A/F sensor issue, say like P1133 or P1135, you don't have any of those. So I'd focus on the ignition coils, see what brand they are.
Old 12-31-08, 01:19 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is ridiculous. I mean...why would they even sell front O2 sensors for my vehicle if there arent any?

::edit::

Firestone called me and said that regardless of what lexus calls them, they are still considered O2 sensors (he said there was a little A/F in parenthesis). So I'm hoping that means we only need to change one of them. This whole thing is giving me a freaking headache. I just want a trustworthy person to look at my car and be honest with me.
Jade- Listen to Lexmex- he's trying to steer you in the right direction. When he asks a question it's always for a reason- take it from someone who lives in that world. LOL Step back, take a deep breath and do as he says. His advice is free and my bet is it's probably better than any you've gotten so far. Good Luck!
Old 12-31-08, 07:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Jade- Listen to Lexmex- he's trying to steer you in the right direction. When he asks a question it's always for a reason- take it from someone who lives in that world. LOL Step back, take a deep breath and do as he says. His advice is free and my bet is it's probably better than any you've gotten so far. Good Luck!
^^^^^I second that^^^^^ Lexmex is a true friend here,
Old 01-01-09, 05:55 AM
Jadedpanth
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all of your help. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm not listening to your advice...I am. I just don't understand how people that are physically looking at my car can't know what's wrong with it. It seems like you all know more from just some standard codes than they do.

We were driving home from a New Year's party this morning and my check engine light starts flashing. There's also a burning smell and my car is shaking. This is exactly what happened the last time before my coils needed to be replaced. You better believe Midas is fixing this mess. What exactly can you do to check and see if there is a coil issue?

Quick Reply: Oxygen sensors and thermostat issues