RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oxygen sensors and thermostat issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 08:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadedpanth
I appreciate all of your help. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm not listening to your advice...I am. I just don't understand how people that are physically looking at my car can't know what's wrong with it. It seems like you all know more from just some standard codes than they do.

We were driving home from a New Year's party this morning and my check engine light starts flashing. There's also a burning smell and my car is shaking. This is exactly what happened the last time before my coils needed to be replaced. You better believe Midas is fixing this mess. What exactly can you do to check and see if there is a coil issue?
A flashing engine light demand`s attention A.S.A. P,don`t drive it that way any more than you absolutely need to.
Old 01-01-09, 09:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Flashing engine light goes hand in hand with a busted coil (happened the one time I had my busted coil). I'd still like to know what brand of coil was used on those rear coils (the ones that apparently at are issue) was used. What can also be done is to take the front coils and put them on the back and conversely take the rear coils and put them on the front and then see what codes show up. But I have a big hunch the brand of the coils on the rear is not Denso.
Old 01-01-09, 10:25 AM
Jadedpanth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you know...the shop wasn't open when i called.
Old 01-02-09, 04:42 PM
Jadedpanth
Driver School Candidate

May I just say, number one...THANK YOU, Lexmex! You were right about the first problem. I ended taking my car to a different Midas (where my parents go and where my dad has a good relationship with the manager) and he did a thorough inspection on my car. He found three bad ignition coils (even though they'd been changed 4.5 months ago) and replaced them. I made sure I asked for Denso. They also did everything for free due to all of the issues I had. So, that was nice.

Sadly...I was only 15 minutes from the shop when my check engine light came back on. I went over to my local Autozone, where they know me by name, and had them run my codes again. Here they are: P0125, P1133, and P1135. On the bright side, that's 4 less codes than last time. So what do you all think?
Old 01-02-09, 05:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

May I just say, number one...THANK YOU, Lexmex! You were right about the first problem. I ended taking my car to a different Midas (where my parents go and where my dad has a good relationship with the manager) and he did a thorough inspection on my car. He found three bad ignition coils (even though they'd been changed 4.5 months ago) and replaced them. I made sure I asked for Denso. They also did everything for free due to all of the issues I had. So, that was nice.

Sadly...I was only 15 minutes from the shop when my check engine light came back on. I went over to my local Autozone, where they know me by name, and had them run my codes again. Here they are: P0125, P1133, and P1135. On the bright side, that's 4 less codes than last time. So what do you all think?
Those codes are related to the Bank 1 Sensor 1 A/F sensor behind the engine. Now, I don't remember if we talked about this, but I'd want to know which sensor your bf changed out and what brand of sensor was used. I say this just like with the ignition coils that a Denso sensor should be used (this vehicle's pretty picky on this). So that's what we need to know. The P0125 is kind of an accompanying code and I wouldn't pay attention to this one (it's basically a product of the other two codes).
Old 01-02-09, 06:01 PM
Jadedpanth
Driver School Candidate

The guy at Autozone seemed to lean toward an MAF problem...any indications of that being an issue?

MY bf changed the af sensor that is in front of the engine block...bank 2 I think.
Old 01-02-09, 07:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The guy at Autozone seemed to lean toward an MAF problem...any indications of that being an issue?

MY bf changed the af sensor that is in front of the engine block...bank 2 I think.
You should got ahead and check to see that the MAF is clean, but those codes related to the rear A/F sensor.

If you are sure he replaced the front sensor, there is one other issue that can occasionally pop up. When you replaced one sensor, the remaining sensor is for lack of better words, at a loss, sometimes since the newer sensor is more efficient. Thus, the older sensor can't balance the equation so to speak.

That's a possibility.

Not too long ago when I took my girlfriend's Expedition to Autozone to use one of their more advanced scanners to check an issue, that scanner was able to read the readings come off each of the two A/F sensors and I was able to determine there was actually no issue (probably just some crappy gas that passed through), but it would help in this case to see if the readings are way out of whack.
Old 01-03-09, 01:17 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Jadedpanth;4126285]I appreciate all of your help. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm not listening to your advice...I am. I just don't understand how people that are physically looking at my car can't know what's wrong with it. It seems like you all know more from just some standard codes than they do.
[QUOTE]

Jade- Sadly, there are far more incompetent mechanics than you would EVER imagine!
Old 01-03-09, 04:20 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

[QUOTE=code58;4130278][QUOTE=Jadedpanth;4126285]I appreciate all of your help. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm not listening to your advice...I am. I just don't understand how people that are physically looking at my car can't know what's wrong with it. It seems like you all know more from just some standard codes than they do.

Jade- Sadly, there are far more incompetent mechanics than you would EVER imagine!
Last month I was waiting to get my wife's RX state inspected. A gent came in with a 00 RX which with the CEL on. He told me the symptoms and I told him it sounded like an A/F sensor. The mechanic walked out of the service bay and told him he needed a new A/F sensor. When they got down talking, I asked the mechanic if it was Bank 1 or Bank 2. The mechanic said the RX only has one A/F sensor. I wrote a note to the gent and handed it to him before he left. I told him to call me before he spent any money.

PS I can tell you some real doozies about my experiences with Lexus mechanics while having warranty work done. From what I can tell, Lexus mechanics are no better than, and likely worse than, the average indie mechanic.

Last edited by artbuc; 01-03-09 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-12-09, 07:01 PM
MarkG2000
Rookie

Default I'm new here as the search brought me to you

Scanning down the threads I couldn't help but come here as it might be one problem I'm having.
It's been going on for a few years but I just can't take it anymore...the machine gun noise.
Here's how it works. Many times it happens as soon as I turn the car on. Other times it comes on a little at a time then full blast.
How I get rid of the noise!
I turn on the a/c and hit the therm up to 78 or higher to HOT....noise stops. Anything below 78 and it's a damn firing range.
I visited the lexus dealer today and have an appt for a check up to see what's the problem.
From what I've read it sounds a bit what the repair guy mentioned. It's behind the dash and there are three of them....something having to do with the air flow or something like that.
Ok.....experts! Any help on this matter? Parts #s and cost aprox and aprox cost to fix.
I also have issue with timing belt...I'm at 135 and the squeek is like the 12 noon siren. Goes on for about 15 seconds. It's louder when I hit the gas then stops. Happens sometimes when I turn on the a/c as well.
H E L P!!!!!