RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I want to buy a RX 300...any red flags i should know about?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 10:12 AM
2FiVE8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to buy a RX 300...any red flags i should know about?

Like the title says I am lookin to buy a 99-2001 rx 300 for my wife, and i was just wondering what are some common things to look out for? i have read the FAQ so i know how to repair some things, but in general i wanted to know if you guys are happy with it and if those red flags are out there for this? thanks for your input!
Old 01-02-09, 10:54 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

if you've read the research, you'll know the 99-01 rx300's have been known to have major transmission failures. There have been rumors that the 02-03 rx300's had fixed transmissions, but i think that's a bunch of crap.

In 04 the rx330's were made with an entirely new transmission that is defitnitely fixed against total failure.
Old 01-02-09, 11:00 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This similiar discussion may be of some value to you:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=53963
Old 01-02-09, 11:05 AM
BBLexus
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Consumer Reports gives the RX300 much better than average ratings although you might want to check for specifics on particular areas, such as transmission, engine, etc., in the reliability ratings to get a good perspective. You can find the information at your local library if you don't subscribe. I am sure alot of people will chime in on their perspective but I am sure many will agree on the following: documentation of reliable and regular maintenance along with mechanic inspection prior to purchase will be your best means to finding the right vehicle. I have an '02 and I'm at 80K and all is going well for me.
Old 01-02-09, 11:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

If I had to choose an RX300 today for a loved one, I'd take the 01-03. I personally like 99-00 due to the infamous PWR button, but you'll find more features available with 01-03 models.

With regard to the transmission, I personally in my time on this forum have noticed a tendency of those who have reported transmission issues to be centered on mostly 99, a few 00 models and more often AWD than FWD. I'd suggest revising the maintenance history to make sure that there has been a drain and fill of existing fluid at least once every 15K and existing fluid should be red and sweet and gear shifts should be swift and not take several seconds, especially between 2nd and 3rd.

Other issue to look at is to make sure that oil changes were done at least once every 5K and preferably (although not required) with synthetic oil.
Old 01-02-09, 02:55 PM
2FiVE8
Driver

thanks so much for all the input, she wanted the 99-2000 because of the tailights, but i dont want to deal with tranmission issues, oh and we will definatly be getting the FWD model, no need for 4WD in Southern California.
Old 01-02-09, 02:57 PM
2FiVE8
Driver

oh and i have a mechanic with over 10 years of strictly toyota/lexus experience so he will be able to check it out, but i just wondered if when i test drive it, there are some things to look out for, so now i guess i will be looking for how the truck shifts to see if there are any pre-existing conditions - once again thanks for all the info
Old 01-02-09, 04:16 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Wait, wait, wait.... she likes the looks of the 99-00 tail lights better than the 01-03??

Usually people are ditching their 99-00 tails FOR the chrome 01-03 tails.

Why not just get an 01-03 and put on some 99-00 tail lights? They're a direct replacement if you can do a little wiring with the plugs. You can find a ton of used ones and you can sell yours for more.

In 01, a lot of newer features were available. The wood+leather steering wheel and shift ****, chrome emblemed airbag, chrome interior door handles, better display LCD, nicer front grill, chrome+red tail lights, nicer spoiler (well, avail in 00). All of these nice luxury features helped the rx300 a LOT.
Old 01-02-09, 05:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

With me, I thought about at one time switching my 99 taillights out to the 01-03 chrome. However, on black, I am not convinced. I was thinking myself perhaps powercoating my rims black and also going to black tailights in the future as a few have then.

The only other things are to see if there is any creaking in the rear struts and also any play in the steering wheel at high speeds (symptom of bad bushings on the front suspension arms). In addition, seeing if there is any vibration when braking above 40 mph (symptom of warped rotors). I am not saying this vehicle is problem prone, it's just that that I went through a lot when I lived in Mexico City and know what can go wrong (it was far worse for expat friends of mine with other vehicles down there).
Old 01-03-09, 11:38 AM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Practical matters about the 00 RX300

Others on the forum have commented on reliability and maintenance on these rx300's, but I want to add a couple of practical issues that your wife should know about before you invest in one. First, know that I like my Lex, but do have a couple of nits to pick. 1. The turning radius is really not very good. I had a Honda Odyssey minivan before this and it turned far shorter than the Lexus. This means that getting into tight parking places is difficult. Not impossible, but really difficult. 2. My gas mileage has been 15 in San Diego, CA and 20 when taking all freeway trips. Not so great in my opinion, but I can live with it.
3. Getting a replacement key is a ***** and NOT cheap. If you go to a Lexus dealer to buy a total key, it costs about $200 for the KEY and then $60 to have it "programmed" and it must be programmed. You can get various kinds of key "deals" off of ebay, with varying levels of success and price, but key replacement IS a $$ issue. Even if you don't lose a key, you WILL break the plastic shell that surrounds it. Getting a replacement shell (that probably actually costs about 35 cents) will set you back minimum $25 and possibly about a $100. Again, depending upon where and how you buy it. I got one for $35 off of ebay. They aren't all the same.... (read "caveat emptor") . 4. Tires: mine originally came with Goodyear and they were noisy and lasted about 45-50 K miles. Not bad on the lifetime. I switched to a bit more expensive Michelin tires and was extremely pleased with the result. Much quieter inside. There was noticeably less roadnoise, and I have a bad hearing problem. 5. Towing. If the one you get has a factory towhich, (sp?) than you are in luck, although that may mean that the tranny has had some real wear on it.... If you put a tow hitch on your self (I did) it cost about $359 total for U-Haul to buy the hitch (Reese was the brand) and install it and hook up the lights. Btw, they screwed up the light hookup, which my Lexus warranty did repair for free... well, the cost of the warranty. However, with "my" hitch, that means there is NOT the heavier duty radiator and some other mechanical things that make towing better/safer. I don't use the hitch often and not for any real heavy hauls. (A few motorcycle hauls; all local.)

I guess that's it off the top if my head. Would I buy this same vehicle again? You bet! I got an off-lease suv with low miles for a relatively fair price, but also paid a bunch ($1,800) for an extended warranty. After the warranty ran out, I could see that I broke even on repair and warranty costs. But keep in mind that Lexus charges a LOT for repairs. Hence, the value of this forum...

I did NOT want to be viewed as a "soccer mom" driver; hence dumping the Honda minivan. The first comment I got from a friend after buying the RX300 was: "Now THAT classy car is what I expect from you." Or something like that. It does make me "feel" better driving a Lexus. Say what you want; it just does.

Nick
Old 01-03-09, 12:26 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Past history (maintenance and usage/care per year) is the most important part.

Set your expectations correctly ... you are buying an old vehicle, the manufacturer only guarantees 60k miles.

The parts (which typically can not be generic) costs more than average and the labor runs $100+ / hr. You do get some back by the above average treatment at the dealership, but dont be shocked by major maintenance to run more than $1500 and the minor ones to be 100-200 range.

I personally am very happy with mine (140k+ miles) and for me it has been a dream vehicle. Not too "fun" to drive but dependable and a work horse.

Salim
Old 01-04-09, 07:43 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts

The turning radius is a real good point - I never think about it until I actually drive the car (maybe once a year) and then I'm cursing at the thing for being such a slug in turns!
Old 01-04-09, 07:58 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Turning radius was improved and the gas tank was upsized a few years after introduction. Which year(s)??

Salim
Old 01-05-09, 05:38 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a 2002 RX300. I think the gas tank size was increased a few gallons from the 1999-2000 to 2001-2003 models, but I don't think the turning radius was reduced. Once you learn the distance it takes to make a U-turn (~2 1/2 traffic lanes), it isn't that big a deal , in my opinion.
Old 01-05-09, 09:05 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I've got a 2002 and yes the gas tank is bigger (19.8 gal) but the turning radius still is VERY poor.

Quick Reply: I want to buy a RX 300...any red flags i should know about?