RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help need some option!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 07:19 AM
techtech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help need some option!!!

i have 99 rx300. runing poorly and noise(we know there a small crack on exhaust but could not find it). transmission does not sheft right only go to third gear and stuck. took it to the lexus dealer. at first they told me i need to replace ignition coil and there a small crack exhaust pole need to be fix( for $800). never tell me it might be a problem with transmisson. when they fixed both problem. call me back and told me there a transmission problem. the problem was not show up at the first diagnostic. long story short. went to the dealer got a Vehicle Diagnostic report from 12/31/2008 it listed

error code:
p0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder misfire detected (fixed)
p0303 cylinder 3 misfire detected (fixed)
p0304 cylinder 4 misfire detected (fixed)
P0768 Shift Solenoid "D" Electrical (not fix. they want $4200 for it, to swap the new transmission)

I ask the techincian could that be a bad connect or the sencer problem cause the erroe code P0768. but he seems did not answer my question only saying this is the computer code i got from diagnostic report.

my question is with error code P0768, does it require to swap the whole transmission. can they fix without swaping the whole until. since i got the error code. it is better to take it to transmission shop and got it fix. normally what would be the price range. byt the way the transmission only 58,000 something miles.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-09, 07:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the Club. Would like to know more of you are referring to on a crack exhaust pole ($800?!!!)

P0768 relates to one of the shift solenoids that is located in the transmission. I don't know who told you they need to swap the tranny. As far as I know, you can access the solenoids (small, you can hold them in the palm of your hand) by having a tranny shop open up the pan on the bottom of the tranny (draining out the fluid beforehand), removing the tranny filter, then the valve body and then they should be able to access the shift solenoids. They can then check the resistance of the solenoids to see if they are within specifications. This shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars for parts/labor. I think the last time I checked out a solenoid kit it was like $150.
Old 01-05-09, 08:30 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club. Would like to know more of you are referring to on a crack exhaust pole ($800?!!!)

P0768 relates to one of the shift solenoids that is located in the transmission. I don't know who told you they need to swap the tranny. As far as I know, you can access the solenoids (small, you can hold them in the palm of your hand) by having a tranny shop open up the pan on the bottom of the tranny (draining out the fluid beforehand), removing the tranny filter, then the valve body and then they should be able to access the shift solenoids. They can then check the resistance of the solenoids to see if they are within specifications. This shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars for parts/labor. I think the last time I checked out a solenoid kit it was like $150.
Lex, this sounds like a DIY job if one were so inclined. Is it?
Old 01-05-09, 09:06 AM
techtech
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for helping, They did not give me any specific what part of exhaust pole,they only told me that to fix ignation coil and the exhaust pole would cost $800.... also they told me for safety reason we have to fix it...otherwise it might catch on fire. for the transmission actually i ask them if they can fix instand of swap the unit ....they did not say No but they keep saying they will swap the whole unit. then no more problem.......but cost $4200.anyway i already spend the $800 and got that fix...What i am worry right now is the transmission. Do i really need to spend $4200 to replace it when its only solenoid "D" Electrical.

so my best bet is pull out from the car from dealer and take it to local transmission shop have them to fix/check solenoid "D". if only few hundred can fix the problem that would be good. Can u tell me ..i mean for the wrost if i replace.fix solenoid "D" still dont fix the shfit problem what could it be.. please advice.

by researching on the internet. code p0768 could cuase by bad connection or sencer. i not not the type of the guy can handle DIY other then oil change.

Last edited by techtech; 01-05-09 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 09:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

so the best bet to me to do is to pull out from the dealer and take it to local transmission shop have them to fix/check... Your best bet!!! definitely what I would do.
Ryan
Old 01-05-09, 09:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

It can be a DIY, but you really better have some inclination. This is not on the other of tranny fill and drain. Moreover, even if you were to do this and something goes amiss, you better have volume 1 of the service manual to guide you through it.

I'd pull it out of there and take it somewhere else. Unless there's something I am not seeing or there's more to the story, a P0768 shouldn't require $4200 of work. Yes, a bad connection could also be at play or the solenoid itself.

The P0768 code really can only be a solenoid, the connection or the ECM (Engine Control Module), which is in your glove compartment. I doubt it's the ECM.

That exhaust thing might have been a piece that is underneath the engine block, an accordion like piece that did give owners of the 99s (including me) a bit of trouble. My uncle welded it shut, but I remember some owners were royally hosed for the replacement at the dealer.
Old 01-05-09, 09:34 AM
techtech
Driver School Candidate

It can be a DIY, but you really better have some inclination. This is not on the other of tranny fill and drain. Moreover, even if you were to do this and something goes amiss, you better have volume 1 of the service manual to guide you through it.

I'd pull it out of there and take it somewhere else. Unless there's something I am not seeing or there's more to the story, a P0768 shouldn't require $4200 of work. Yes, a bad connection could also be at play or the solenoid itself.

The P0768 code really can only be a solenoid, the connection or the ECM (Engine Control Module), which is in your glove compartment. I doubt it's the ECM.

That exhaust thing might have been a piece that is underneath the engine block, an accordion like piece that did give owners of the 99s (including me) a bit of trouble. My uncle welded it shut, but I remember some owners were royally hosed for the replacement at the dealer.
by the way i forgot to tell you guys the reason why i took it to the shop because of the engine light keep flashing. Do you know/recommand any transmission shop around jacksonville, FL
Old 01-05-09, 10:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by techtech
by the way i forgot to tell you guys the reason why i took it to the shop because of the engine light keep flashing. Do you know/recommand any transmission shop around jacksonville, FL
Engine light flashing is because of the misfire.
Old 01-05-09, 10:17 AM
techtech
Driver School Candidate

Engine light flashing is because of the misfire.
ok. so from the error code i got from the dealer

error code:
p0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder misfire detected (fixed)
p0303 cylinder 3 misfire detected (fixed)
p0304 cylinder 4 misfire detected (fixed)
P0768 Shift Solenoid "D" Electrical

most like if i fix the solenoid like you recommanded should fix the P0768 problem right. i am so afraid if i take it to other shop they are going to tell me there a problems with other part that require thousand of $$ to fix.again thanks very much. now i am search local transmission shop. if anyone know any good shop in jacksonville FL please let me know.
Old 01-05-09, 10:19 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would certainly be worth a try to get it to a local trans shop and see if they could do a solenoid replacement and that is probably what I would do, but just be prepared for the way this most likely will end up. The 99 Rx along with some other years has a problem transmission. Do a search anywhere to read an unbelievable amount of info on this. Start with the search function of this forum and also try google, NHTSA, CR online (only shows a higher than average failure rate), Lexus Owners Club, etc.
Usually it is not the solenoid that is actually failing but the debris inside your trans caused by other failing parts that is preventing the solenoid from functioning. How does your trans fluid look? It is dirty and does it smell burnt? This could be an indication. I have read of a few others having this error code but I have never heard of anyone getting by with just a solenoid. I bet the trans shop will want to rebuild your existing trans for slightly less than Lexus wants to replace it. $4200 isn't a bad price from Lexus. Lexus wanted $6000 to put a rebuilt one in mine. I ended up using a local shop for $3400. Good luck and please post back and let us know how you make out.
Old 01-05-09, 10:42 AM
techtech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikey00
It would certainly be worth a try to get it to a local trans shop and see if they could do a solenoid replacement and that is probably what I would do, but just be prepared for the way this most likely will end up. The 99 Rx along with some other years has a problem transmission. Do a search anywhere to read an unbelievable amount of info on this. Start with the search function of this forum and also try google, NHTSA, CR online (only shows a higher than average failure rate), Lexus Owners Club, etc.
Usually it is not the solenoid that is actually failing but the debris inside your trans caused by other failing parts that is preventing the solenoid from functioning. How does your trans fluid look? It is dirty and does it smell burnt? This could be an indication. I have read of a few others having this error code but I have never heard of anyone getting by with just a solenoid. I bet the trans shop will want to rebuild your existing trans for slightly less than Lexus wants to replace it. $4200 isn't a bad price from Lexus. Lexus wanted $6000 to put a rebuilt one in mine. I ended up using a local shop for $3400. Good luck and please post back and let us know how you make out.

I check the trans fluid. still very clear and no burnt smell. my car only 58,000 miles.i really could not believe lexus made such poor car. totally disappointed. call couples trans shop. they tell me the same thing as the dealer told me i have to replace the whole unit. there no OEM part for the Solenoid they have to get it from lexus as well...so.....any advice.

Last edited by techtech; 01-05-09 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 03:06 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have your car now or is it at the Lexus dealer? If you do have it, what condition is it in right now? CEL on? Runs good just won't shift into 4th? Etc.
I am not suggesting you go the solenoid replacement route but if someone told you solenoids are not available it sounds like bad info to me. But sometimes people don't want to replace just a solenoid in a problem prone trans for a good reason. They are, however, available from many places. Here is one such place:
https://www.wittrans.com/c-1334-u140f.aspx?pagenum=9
Also 58,000 sounds low for trans failure but it is possible. Plus 58,000 sounds to low for a 1999. Do you own it from new? If used do you know it's history or did you run a carfax?

Last edited by mikey00; 01-05-09 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 08:45 PM
techtech
Driver School Candidate

i pull the car out from dealer. go to local Aamco center.

they rebuild me transmission.

New Banner kit AAMco #k7500-ls $350
New filter A-130, A-140 series $51.92
New band 2ND Coast Brake $99.57
New LTR Dexron/Mercon Trans Fluid 31.19

Exchange rebuilt Torque converter $322.00

New labor shop supplies $18.00
New Planet carrier front $450.00
New shift Sol D $245

Labor to remove,rebuild & reinstall $1453.50

total cost with tax $3205.92

they told me they totally rebuilder and upgraded my trans....and told me that i can not get any newer that. this is 2009 trans....i dont know much about car..just wanna find out if i got a fair deal or i got rip off. it seems i had real problem they have to replace so many parts.

Also the shop offer my $200 for life time trans warranty...it that worth it? please give me some opinion. thanks

does it sound lik

Last edited by techtech; 01-16-09 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 10:16 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

As I understand the dealer took care of all problems, other than the transmission for $800.

I am not sure if the Dexron/mercon fluid the transmission shop used is correct or not. I know Toyota Type IV is correct,

You have already spent the money on repair, and you have crossed the bridge .. is there any point in wondering afterwards?

If you feel like mikey00 that the transmission is inherently poor, then buy the $200 insurance. Just check for the terms of exclusion and who the underwriter is. If it is offered by that particular shop then you have to bring the broken RX to them and hopefully they will still be in business if your transmission fails. It is a gamble and you are trying to manage your risk.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-16-09 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-17-09, 07:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

That code is what I had when my tranny failed, the solenoid is probably fine, but there may be a piece of metal debris stopping the actuator on the solenoid. When all said and done, my transmission was toast. I actually took the valve body assembly out trying to save the darn thing, but found a lot of debris in it. that is when I decided to the dealer or tranny shop of your choice.

Quick Reply: Help need some option!!!