RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Low Quality motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09 | 08:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Default Low Quality motor oil

http://www.ilma.org/resources/impact_lowqualityoils.pdf
This came from over @ bob is the oil guy forum.
Ryan

Last edited by lexus114; 01-05-09 at 09:21 AM. Reason: addad
Old 01-05-09 | 09:04 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder what brands were used during the test.
Old 01-05-09 | 09:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I`m guessing some cheap stuff from like a Wal-mart automotive section. They do sell all kind`s their,so be careful what you buy.
Old 01-05-09 | 10:15 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Hey, like yo momma said "you get what you pay for" and that's what happens here. If you have a $30K car, but you're going to treat it like a $1000 investment, then go and get your cheapo $2 oil. Not everything in life is "the more the better" but a $5 name brand oil will be a safer bet than a $1.5 generic looking brand.
Old 01-05-09 | 10:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Hey, like yo momma said "you get what you pay for" and that's what happens here. If you have a $30K car, but you're going to treat it like a $1000 investment, then go and get your cheapo $2 oil. Not everything in life is "the more the better" but a $5 name brand oil will be a safer bet than a $1.5 generic looking brand.
You got that right!!
Old 01-05-09 | 10:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Some people just don't know.

I found that to be the case when I was in Mexico and saw a lot what I like to call garbage brands were being marketed. Often times, the oil company will agree to paint the outside of the of the mechanic/garage's shop with logos of the oil company emblazoned. This also goes for paint companies doing the same thing. As such (and without naming brands), I remember a few that were commonly thrown around that I had barely heard of in the U.S. The major oil companies also do a bit of this sponsorship, too.

However, I'd often talk to people who would race at my 1/4 mile track in Tlalnepantla and it would be amazing for all of the mechanical ability and the extent of the modifications on some of these vehicles that garbage oils would be used in these vehicles. In addition, they would complain that oils wouldn't last and really weren't "Premium" as described on the outside of the packaging.

Some would use some of the known brands. Royal Purple was a common one that was sold by some people in car clubs, Mobil 1 also had its fans, I had a few friends who ran VW Beetles with turbos that wound up using the Castrol 0W30 we do (since they weren't run except at the track, they found this oil was good when the cars sat around for awhile, too). However, up there at that altitude and in those conditions, sludge was a prevalent worry, and my uncle saw many a sludged vehicle and would always steer his customers to a synthetic whenever they could afford it.
Old 01-05-09 | 10:35 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

MOBIL 1, tried and true for me here in NorthEast for last 20 years or so. 450,000 combined miles of all my vehicles I've used it on and counting, no engine blowups.
Old 01-05-09 | 11:40 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Mobil used to have good quality products, but it is overpriced for the quality. BITOG site is the first to reveal that Mobil 1 changed formulation couple years ago to use the Group III base oil, which can not be marketed as synthetic oil in E.U. and Japan.
For $7 a quart on non-synthetic oil that is marketed as synthetic, many who know just buy cheaper Group III alternatives or even true synthetic such as German Castrol (Group IV) at lower price.
Old 01-05-09 | 12:09 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Tuned,does that go for the new 0W-30 advanced fuel economy formula as well?
Old 01-05-09 | 12:10 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i've never seen an SA rated oil like they tested. even the cheapest walmart brand oil is SL rated. i'll have to look for some SA oil next time i'm in a parts store.
if you guys want to find the rating on your oil, look on the back label. there will be a circle tha tlooks kind of like a sun or a gear. inside it will be something like "API Sx"
imo it would take some effort to find an SA oil. you're not just going to grab an oil off the shelf and have it wind up being SA. chances are you'll grab an SL rated oil even blind folded.
Old 01-05-09 | 12:46 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Man dont mess around, take it in to a reputable shop. This isn`t a 2.3 liter ford pinto motor here,it`s too involved.
Old 01-05-09 | 01:47 PM
DigitalEye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Mobil used to have good quality products, but it is overpriced for the quality. BITOG site is the first to reveal that Mobil 1 changed formulation couple years ago to use the Group III base oil, which can not be marketed as synthetic oil in E.U. and Japan.
For $7 a quart on non-synthetic oil that is marketed as synthetic, many who know just buy cheaper Group III alternatives or even true synthetic such as German Castrol (Group IV) at lower price.
I was under the impression that the Mobil1 5-30 was the oil in question that ended up as a group III and that the other Mobil1 one products such as the 0-30w were group IV. I'll try ot dig up some more info on that.
Old 01-05-09 | 01:59 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DigitalEye
I was under the impression that the Mobil1 5-30 was the oil in question that ended up as a group III and that the other Mobil1 one products such as the 0-30w were group IV. I'll try ot dig up some more info on that.
Similiar findings were posted about Mobil 1's EP line. In fact, the only ones that could be spared are 0w-20 and 0w-30 because to meet SAE requirement on low temperature viscosity, Mobil has to use superior base oil.

Common misconception is low temperature viscosity rating affects only those in the extreme cold, but in fact it affects ALL motor oils that are not heated up in operating temperature (since no one install an engine warmer and engines can't reach to the ideal temperature immediately after startups).

Yes, for 90% of folks, they do not care, but we are talking about quality in this thread, so this issue deserves to bring to light for those who care. And most the engine wears occur at startup, before engine oil reach the perfect 10 cSt in viscosity for lubricating vital engine parts. And that applies to anyone who does not live >100 F year around.
Old 01-05-09 | 03:25 PM
DigitalEye
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I found similar info poking around on BITOG.

WAY too many post to dig through on the subject over there but if anyone wants to, here's a place to start.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1029178
Old 01-05-09 | 04:33 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE !!!!

I admit, Mobil 1 has become extremely overpriced, especially when bought by individual quart, but Walmart's 5 qt. jug for $22 is a pretty good deal.

Quick Reply: Low Quality motor oil