RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How can you tell if you jumped timing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 01:08 PM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
if he wants to make sure it's easy enough to do. jack up the right front side, take the wheel off. removed the fender liner. now there's access to the belts and covers. take off the accessory belts. remove teh covers and crank pulley. the upper cover is tight, wiring harness fits very closely to the cover, tell him to just take his time and detach everything that's int eh way. the motor mount also has to be removed on that side.
it's actually an easy job as far as t belts go, it will probably take him all weekend though.
but once he has the cover off, he'll be able to tell if the belt is broken because it will be loose. if the belt is tight, he should be able to turn the crank pulley with a long ratchet and the cams should turn along with the crank. if the ydon't turn, the belt is bad.
Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate all the help/advise!
Old 01-05-09, 03:58 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would read the codes and see what you come up with and try and get your husband to stop messing with things that are not broke. IACV, fuel pump, timing belt next, you may be digging yourself into a hole here that will cost a lot to straighten out plus the cost to fix the original problem that is preventing the car from starting. Timing belt problem on this engine is very rare. Just my 2 cents.
Another thought: The reason the engine is turning over so fast if the timing belt is broken is because the compression process is not taking place. I think it would be a lot easier to check compression on one of the front cylinders rather than go for the timing belt.

Last edited by mikey00; 01-05-09 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 04:05 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kpopil
Thanks everyone for your help.

The timing belt was in tact but now the car backfired and sounds exactly the way you're describing. I'm now sure it's the timing belt and I pray my husband didn't do any more damage to the car. Now he wants to do the timing chain himself. Is this a DIY project or would you recommend I plead and beg for a tow to a mechanic?
I would say this is not an easy DIY job. Removing the PS accessory belt is a little tricky and requires a special tool (I made my own). Breaking the crank pulley bolt requires a special tool and/or knowledge of how to break it loose by turning over the engine. Removing, reloading and reinstalling the hydraulic tensioner needs to be properly and carefully done. Making sure the cam & crank sprockets are in the right position and making sure the TB is properly installed on the marks requires some knowhow and technique. If your hubby has never done a TB, doesn't have a service manual (I can give you a link to download exactly what you need) and doesn't have a fair amount of general auto mechanical experience, I would suggest he finds a reliable indie to do this job.
Old 01-05-09, 10:21 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I would say you are totally jumping the gun going for the timing belt. No offense, but it sounds like you changed out a perfectly good fuel pump and still have no idea if you have fuel pressure or spark. Just the road you are going down for "diagnostics" would make me say you are very much in over your head.

Get a code reader on it and see what it says. I bet it will give you some clues like a coil that is out. Timing belt would be close to last on my list based on what you have posted.

Where are you in OH?
Old 01-06-09, 06:40 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
I would read the codes and see what you come up with and try and get your husband to stop messing with things that are not broke. IACV, fuel pump, timing belt next, you may be digging yourself into a hole here that will cost a lot to straighten out plus the cost to fix the original problem that is preventing the car from starting. Timing belt problem on this engine is very rare. Just my 2 cents.
Another thought: The reason the engine is turning over so fast if the timing belt is broken is because the compression process is not taking place. I think it would be a lot easier to check compression on one of the front cylinders rather than go for the timing belt.
As mikey mentioned:"I think it would be a lot easier to check compression on one of the front cylinders". Or,pop the timing belt cover,and have someone try and start the vehicle. If the belt is not snapped,it will rotate on the shaft`s.

Last edited by lexus114; 01-06-09 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 10:39 AM
DigitalEye
Driver School Candidate

The compression test sounds like a very good idea. Of course , reading the codes seems like a must before anything. Also, the car will start even if a coil is bad it just wont run well.
Old 01-07-09, 09:41 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carguy07
I would say you are totally jumping the gun going for the timing belt. No offense, but it sounds like you changed out a perfectly good fuel pump and still have no idea if you have fuel pressure or spark. Just the road you are going down for "diagnostics" would make me say you are very much in over your head.

Get a code reader on it and see what it says. I bet it will give you some clues like a coil that is out. Timing belt would be close to last on my list based on what you have posted.

Where are you in OH?
I have to agree, I had very similar issues once and turns out it was just the maf sensor. It would turn over but shut off right after and if I kept my foot on the gas it would stay running. I replaced the maf sensor and I was good to go. But the point is like he said go get a code reader, you can rent them for cheap from autozone and check it out. Can't hurt right?
Old 01-07-09, 10:30 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
I have to agree, I had very similar issues once and turns out it was just the maf sensor. It would turn over but shut off right after and if I kept my foot on the gas it would stay running. I replaced the maf sensor and I was good to go. But the point is like he said go get a code reader, you can rent them for cheap from autozone and check it out. Can't hurt right?
I`d say he has gone pretty Far-Ted!!
Old 01-07-09, 03:17 PM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy07

Where are you in OH?
I'm near Cleveland.
Old 01-07-09, 03:19 PM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
Will this sensor show up as a code if I rent the code reader? We're going to do that anyway. I'll let you guys know the codes when we do that. It's been terrible weather here so my car is just sitting right now.
Old 01-07-09, 05:55 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a maf sensor that's faulty will typically show itself as a code for "system lean bank 1" and "system lean bank 2" because it's reading the wrong amount of air flow, so it's not telling hte ecu to add enough fuel.normally the computer (ecu) won't show a code for the maf itself unless it's totally dead which doesn't happen with the kind that lexus uses.
just post all the codes and i'll tell you where to look.
Old 01-10-09, 10:39 AM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

It's definitely the timing belt. My husband has it apart and the belt is frayed. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 01-10-09, 12:53 PM
salimshah

Received 1,078 Likes on 970 Posts

Great ... btw this is the first RX with a frayed timing belt post that I can remember. Examine the idlers and if they have a blue hue, they need to be replaced.

Salim