RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How can you tell if you jumped timing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 10:09 AM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you tell if you jumped timing?

I don't know much about cars but my husband is working on my car and he said he may have jumped timing. Can someone please explain this to me? He's stressing me out. I really should just put the car in the shop!

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I have a 2000 RX300 with 129,000 miles.

Last edited by kpopil; 01-05-09 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Adding a comment.
Old 01-05-09, 10:15 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

what are your symptoms?,when was the timing belt replaced?
Old 01-05-09, 10:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

A check engine light should pop up if something is truly wrong with the timing (it's not common to this vehicle).
Old 01-05-09, 10:24 AM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

I got the car with about 50,000 miles on it. I have not changed the timing belt for financial reasons only. I'm wondering if it may have snapped. The car won't start. My husband cleaned the IACV and also replaced the fuel pump. The fuel pump is definitely working but the car still won't start. I didn't have any symptoms (other than transmission issues) before the car died while I was driving it. My husband is trying to do what he can to save a huge expense at the shop but I'm starting to think it's inevitable.
Old 01-05-09, 10:27 AM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
A check engine light should pop up if something is truly wrong with the timing (it's not common to this vehicle).
My check engine light has been on for a while because of the transmission. The last time I had the codes checked, it was only showing a problem with the transmission.

If it's not the timing, what else do you think it could be?

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm grateful for this forum!

Last edited by kpopil; 01-05-09 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Correcting punctuation
Old 01-05-09, 10:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

It's going to be really hard for me to tell from this vantage point. You could go out and buy and OBD2 scanner (I highly recommend this, as this tool is invaluable and can be found for under $100 USD). If you can get the dash lights, radio on, etc., then you should be able to hook up the scanner and read any codes. That's really the only thing we can do from here.

The timing belts have been known to go longer in these vehicles than the 90K mark where they are normally changed out. He should be able to locate the cover on the left side of the engine bay where the timing belt is located.
Old 01-05-09, 11:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

As lexmex mentioned,check under the t/belt cover,and see if it snapped. Also,you may want to say a prayer,asking that it didn`t.
Old 01-05-09, 11:20 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and have the car towed to a dealership for them to diagnose your problems. It sounds like you have several different issues and your husband is probably chasing his tail trying to get them sorted out.
Old 01-05-09, 11:36 AM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
As lexmex mentioned,check under the t/belt cover,and see if it snapped. Also,you may want to say a prayer,asking that it didn`t.

Timing belt is still in tact although I know I need to change this soon! The car is turning over and almost starts, but then sputters out. It's not backfiring or anything so my husband thinks the timing is okay. It just won't stay running. He's kind of stumped.
Old 01-05-09, 11:37 AM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and have the car towed to a dealership for them to diagnose your problems. It sounds like you have several different issues and your husband is probably chasing his tail trying to get them sorted out.
I think you're right. I just need to convince my husband to give up.
Old 01-05-09, 12:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The only other things that come to mind are the IACV valve having an issue, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=358579 where the it's in a position that won't allow it to open let in air to star up the vehicle.
Old 01-05-09, 12:12 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The only other things that come to mind are the IACV valve having an issue, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=358579 where the it's in a position that won't allow it to open let in air to star up the vehicle.
Good point lex, kpopil, have your husband give the iac valve a good cleaning. It just may work.
Ryan
Old 01-05-09, 12:15 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah the iac will definitely keep it from running. they can be cleaned with carb cleaner. easy to get to and easy to clean as well.
if the timing belt is broken, the engine will sound different when it's cranked over. it will spin faster than normal and sound kind of higher pitched. of course it will never start.
it's pretty rare for them to jump time/skip teeth on the belt.
Old 01-05-09, 12:33 PM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
yeah the iac will definitely keep it from running. they can be cleaned with carb cleaner. easy to get to and easy to clean as well.
if the timing belt is broken, the engine will sound different when it's cranked over. it will spin faster than normal and sound kind of higher pitched. of course it will never start.
it's pretty rare for them to jump time/skip teeth on the belt.
Thanks everyone for your help.

The timing belt was in tact but now the car backfired and sounds exactly the way you're describing. I'm now sure it's the timing belt and I pray my husband didn't do any more damage to the car. Now he wants to do the timing chain himself. Is this a DIY project or would you recommend I plead and beg for a tow to a mechanic?
Old 01-05-09, 12:50 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if he wants to make sure it's easy enough to do. jack up the right front side, take the wheel off. removed the fender liner. now there's access to the belts and covers. take off the accessory belts. remove teh covers and crank pulley. the upper cover is tight, wiring harness fits very closely to the cover, tell him to just take his time and detach everything that's int eh way. the motor mount also has to be removed on that side.
it's actually an easy job as far as t belts go, it will probably take him all weekend though.
but once he has the cover off, he'll be able to tell if the belt is broken because it will be loose. if the belt is tight, he should be able to turn the crank pulley with a long ratchet and the cams should turn along with the crank. if the ydon't turn, the belt is bad.

Quick Reply: How can you tell if you jumped timing?