RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

is it possible? IACV question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 07:08 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it possible? IACV question...

Is it possible for the motor on the IACV to go bad? Ive cleaned the valve itself several times and when i idle sometimes it idles where it sould be, sometimes less. Any ideas guys?
Old 01-07-09, 07:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

It could be these wacky temp.changes we get all the time up here.check for pending codes,clean maf sensor,reset ecm.(good place to start anyway) I notice when my millage drops real low,when I clean the maf ,it usually goes back up again,of course i have the k&N filter in it too.
Old 01-07-09, 07:16 AM
UNOHOO

well, ive cleaned the maf sensor within the past 6 months and reset the ecm but no difference, im gonna go pick up an odb-II code reader soon. I gotta get registered in maryland and if your cel is on its an automatic fail for emissions test.
Old 01-07-09, 07:58 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

One of the most pollution causing vehicle usage is idlelling (doing nothing useful). There is a lot of innovation thrown into this condition. IACV is one of the major components as it regulates the air made available for this condition. Amount of air flow (idle and running) is monitored by the MAF.

If you have a CEL, then the error is prediagnosed for you. [Debug as to sensor is bad or wiring broken, root cause still have to be carried out].

So if you have a CEL, get it read or invest in a reader and take corrective actions. At times the cost of repair is recouped by the fuel saving you will achieve by getting it fixed. Start there.

Salim
Old 01-07-09, 08:04 AM
UNOHOO

alright ill try starting with that and post the code on this thread to see what you guys think the issue is.
Old 01-07-09, 08:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
well, ive cleaned the maf sensor within the past 6 months and reset the ecm but no difference, im gonna go pick up an odb-II code reader soon. I gotta get registered in maryland and if your cel is on its an automatic fail for emissions test.
" if your cel is on its an automatic fail for emissions test." Yep,same here in PA
Old 01-07-09, 10:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

What are the idle numbers you are getting?
Old 01-07-09, 10:12 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by Lexmex
What are the idle numbers you are getting?
random spots between 500 and 750, when its below like 675 ish you can tell because the car has a vibration to it. My girlfriend doesnt notice it but i can. only as low as 500 like once or twice
Old 01-07-09, 11:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I want to see what the code is. Sometimes, the weather at certain times of the year pushes the idle up (when it is colder) while heat can push it down (as I notice here in Miami). You might have also an issue with a little injector blockage (winter gasoline).
Old 01-07-09, 11:45 AM
UNOHOO

well what led me to think it was something to do with the iacv is because when i stop and idle its not like the needle spikes down and back up or anything like that, when i stop it goes to somewhere within that range and hold until i hit the gas and stop again at which point it chooses another location between those two points. Its like how ever far the iacv opens that time is where it sits again until it closes due to driving. make sense? ill get the codes checked soon though. perhaps therell be another clue
Old 01-08-09, 10:32 AM
UNOHOO

i got a p1346 and a p1351, both misfires, the guy was asking me about the car and checking some stuff, i told him i put the high end bosch plugs in it and he said thats why im getting those codes, he said that they arent sending the return data letting the ignition control system know that it fired, he said hes seen it before and that i should get some ngk v power plugs if i want the code to go away.
Old 01-08-09, 10:40 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Assuming that is the problem, you see the loop

misfire -> timing -> fuel-air -> idle.

Hope that solves your problem [btw I am not sure that the bosh plugs you used are compatible or not].

Salim
Old 01-08-09, 10:46 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
i got a p1346 and a p1351, both misfires, the guy was asking me about the car and checking some stuff, i told him i put the high end bosch plugs in it and he said thats why im getting those codes, he said that they arent sending the return data letting the ignition control system know that it fired, he said hes seen it before and that i should get some ngk v power plugs if i want the code to go away.
Which ones do you have? I have the Fusions and have been happy with them since I put them in 9K ago.
Old 01-08-09, 11:32 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by blueridge
Which ones do you have? I have the Fusions and have been happy with them since I put them in 9K ago.
i think its the fusions, its the ones that have 4 pieces coming out over the electrode, they were like 8 bucks a piece, i mean theyre running great, i dont misifire, i havent felt a misfire sinc eive put them in either and it run great, but thats what dood told me at autozone
Old 01-08-09, 11:33 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by salimshah
Assuming that is the problem, you see the loop

misfire -> timing -> fuel-air -> idle.

Hope that solves your problem [btw I am not sure that the bosh plugs you used are compatible or not].

Salim
true but its not actually misifiring.

if the computer thinks its misfiring though would it adjust the air fuel ratio that could cause that idle fluctuation?

Quick Reply: is it possible? IACV question...