RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Could my spark plugs be flooded or faulted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 07:48 AM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could my spark plugs be flooded or faulted?

Well, my husband changed the fuel pump and it's working. My husband changed the timing belt which all went very smooth (other than a tough time loosening the crankshaft pulley bolt). But the car still won't run. It's cranking fine...no back firing...nothing sounds off. It just won't start/run. Now, I know I didn't maintain this vehicle like I should have and I never changed the spark plugs. My car currently has 129,000 miles. Is it possible that the plugs could be the cause? I know my husband has cranked it a lot before the timing belt change and after the timing belt. He's wondering if he flooded the plugs or faulted them with all the cranking. Before the timing belt change, it backfired. I'm just hoping it's nothing more serious. He's supposed to get a code reader today but in the meantime, what are your thoughts?

Thanks so much for all your help. This forum really has been a lifesaver! You guys are awesome!
Old 01-12-09, 08:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kpopil
Well, my husband changed the fuel pump and it's working. My husband changed the timing belt which all went very smooth (other than a tough time loosening the crankshaft pulley bolt). But the car still won't run. It's cranking fine...no back firing...nothing sounds off. It just won't start/run. Now, I know I didn't maintain this vehicle like I should have and I never changed the spark plugs. My car currently has 129,000 miles. Is it possible that the plugs could be the cause? I know my husband has cranked it a lot before the timing belt change and after the timing belt. He's wondering if he flooded the plugs or faulted them with all the cranking. Before the timing belt change, it backfired. I'm just hoping it's nothing more serious. He's supposed to get a code reader today but in the meantime, what are your thoughts?

Thanks so much for all your help. This forum really has been a lifesaver! You guys are awesome!
I dont like to do this,but try a quick shot of starting fluid,or carb cleaner into the air intake.See if she fires on that,its a place to start anyway.But you may have a bad cold start sensor,or crank sensor,or something interfereing here.
Old 01-12-09, 09:34 AM
kpopil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost think it may be the crankshaft position sensor only because he had one heck of a time getting the pulley bolt loose.
Old 01-12-09, 10:03 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kpopil
I almost think it may be the crankshaft position sensor only because he had one heck of a time getting the pulley bolt loose.
Thats why its imperative to get those codes read. Hopefully it will lead him in the right direction.If not,you may have to bite the bullet,and take it to the big "L" dealership.

Last edited by lexus114; 01-12-09 at 11:18 AM.