RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

opinions on ATF change

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09 | 07:52 AM
salimshah

bluridge, we are not sure the problem is due to lubrication issue. Nothing wrong with the question though.

I will be interested in knowing why did Lexus switch to paper-like element? Technical or financial ... The screen on the metal was not fine enough/costs more.

Salim
Old 02-10-09 | 08:30 AM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Well, I decided to go with a new paper element filter...not really by choice, but when i dropped the pan and took out the strainer - TA DA - paper filter. Oh well, anyone know the lifespan of a new paper filter, I'll be putting one in today then starting a "mobil 1 ATF new formulation thread" to test out their new red sauce.
Old 02-12-09 | 10:09 AM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alaskaty
Well, I decided to go with a new paper element filter...not really by choice, but when i dropped the pan and took out the strainer - TA DA - paper filter. Oh well, anyone know the lifespan of a new paper filter, I'll be putting one in today then starting a "mobil 1 ATF new formulation thread" to test out their new red sauce.
How much do you pay for Mobil 1 synthetic ATF? I was about to get it, until I found out my nearest Toyota dealer only wants $4.61 for each bottle of genuine Toyota Type-IV ATF.... the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is $7.50 per bottle at my local Autozone.... so I bought the Toyota Type-IV from the dealer at $4.61....
Old 02-12-09 | 10:16 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ToyotaLexus
How much do you pay for Mobil 1 synthetic ATF? I was about to get it, until I found out my nearest Toyota dealer only wants $4.61 for each bottle of genuine Toyota Type-IV ATF.... the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is $7.50 per bottle at my local Autozone.... so I bought the Toyota Type-IV from the dealer at $4.61....
Mobil 1 should be more. It is a full synthetic fluid. Toyota Type T-IV is only a blend like Mobil 3309 trans fluid.
Old 02-12-09 | 01:44 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

I'm paying less than $6.50/qt if I recall correctly from Wal-Mart...I actually think it's closer to $6.00, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 02-14-09 | 06:27 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

I'm paying less than $6.50/qt if I recall correctly from Wal-Mart...I actually think it's closer to $6.00, but I'm not 100% sure.
There are 8 Walmarts in my area. All are within 14 miles from my house...
I started with the one that's only 6 miles away. They didn't carry the
Mobil synthetic ATF. The guy at the auto care counter called the other
7 Walmarts for me... none carried it....

Very strange.... but they do carry just about every grade of Mobil 1 engine oil...

The only place that carries Mobil synthetic ATF in my area appears to be
Autozone, which sells it for $8.79 per bottle. (compare this
with the $4.61/bottle that my Toyota dealer charges for Type-IV ATF)
Old 02-14-09 | 06:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Very strange.... but they do carry just about every grade of Mobil 1 engine oil...

$8.79 or so is about what they charge down here. I got mine at Advanced Auto Parts in ran to $9 something after tax. I used it for my power steering fluid.
Old 02-15-09 | 01:48 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
$8.79 or so is about what they charge down here. I got mine at Advanced Auto Parts in ran to $9 something after tax. I used it for my power steering fluid.
Does that mean you do not use Mobil synthetic ATF(New Forumla) in your RX's transmission?
Old 02-15-09 | 01:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Does that mean you do not use Mobil synthetic ATF(New Forumla) in your RX's transmission?
No, I've been using Amsoil ATF in my tranny.

At the time I was living in Mexico, the Mobil 1 ATF formulation was not approved for Type IV so it never came to pass that I'd try it, but it might have come up if I had stayed down there longer (since Amsoil is not available there).

I like the feeling in my steering wheel with the Mobil 1 ATF and can't really imagine it doing much better switching off to Amsoil or something else. In addition, I haven't had any leaks or other issues, so why mess with a good thing.
Old 02-16-09 | 03:48 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexmex
No, I've been using Amsoil ATF in my tranny.

At the time I was living in Mexico, the Mobil 1 ATF formulation was not approved for Type IV so it never came to pass that I'd try it, but it might have come up if I had stayed down there longer (since Amsoil is not available there).

I like the feeling in my steering wheel with the Mobil 1 ATF and can't really imagine it doing much better switching off to Amsoil or something else. In addition, I haven't had any leaks or other issues, so why mess with a good thing.
Sorry for being dense, but are you using Mobil 1 or Amsoil in your trans? You say you are using Amsoil but then say you like the feel of Mobil 1 in your steering wheel. Do you use Mobil 1 for your power steering?
Old 02-16-09 | 07:58 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by artbuc
Sorry for being dense, but are you using Mobil 1 or Amsoil in your trans? You say you are using Amsoil but then say you like the feel of Mobil 1 in your steering wheel. Do you use Mobil 1 for your power steering?
Yes sir,that`s what he`s saying.I have mobil-1 atf in my power steering now,and like it as well.
Old 02-16-09 | 09:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by artbuc
Yep, that's the way I like it. I have known a few others (non RX owners) who have tried Amsoil in the power steering but just don't like the feel. There's something about the Mobil 1 ATF that just seems to give a better feeling. Feels too loose with the Amsoil for them. In addition, a few reported an issue that on startup the the steering wheel is not very fluid with the Amsoil but only after the fluid gets warmed up a bit does it feel better, but still very loose (too easy to turn). I just would rather have something more grippy in its feel. However, I'll take Amsoil ATF just fine in my tranny, I just love the shifts over the Type IV.
Old 02-18-09 | 12:19 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

The weirdest thing happened: I checked my last receipt from WalMart and I payed $6.27/qt of Mobil 1 ATF. I went back to Walmart to pick up some more and it is totally gone, no sticker or place left on the shelf or anything. They only put it on the shelves a month ago, then over the weekend they cleared everything out.
Old 02-18-09 | 12:44 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

The weirdest thing happened: I checked my last receipt from WalMart and I payed $6.27/qt of Mobil 1 ATF. I went back to Walmart to pick up some more and it is totally gone, no sticker or place left on the shelf or anything. They only put it on the shelves a month ago, then over the weekend they cleared everything out.
that's what the Walmart guy told me as well. He said that they had plenty of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF on the shelf a few weeks ago.