RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

My Rattle Trap

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-02, 03:32 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Rattle Trap

Hi Gang

2001 2wd/nav here. Has had rattles from day one. Passenger door, Dash area on drivers side, Drivers door only on a hard bump, thumping from far rear (loose spare?)

Anyway, It's due for the 5K oil change and i wonder how responsive and diligent the dealers are at finding/fixing these sort of (sometimes intermittent) problems? I'm in San Jose, Ca and have a choice of Stevens' Creek (bought from), or Magnussen in Fremont.

thanks,

Bob
Old 03-06-02, 04:23 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

nobody cares?
Old 03-06-02, 04:35 PM
foucco
Rookie

I've harassed them since the day I bought it so I could be sure that they would fix it

"I expect more from a new car; especially a Lexus..."

There are a lot or rattles, aren't there? My problems are/were the sunroof, passenger seat, doors when playing music, seat belt case (really), and the glove compartment.

They've fixed the glove compartment and the passenger seat, but I'm taking it back again for the rest. They're determined to fix them; they just aren't successful at it every time.
Old 03-06-02, 04:45 PM
melnme2
Driver School Candidate

We had many rattles and it took a couple of trips to the dealer to fix. Areas of issue were the passenger side back pillar/roof (next to the back seat) which had a loose wiring harness in the pillar, the rear light by the lift gate's panel (where the light is) was very loose and they replaced it. We occasionally get rattles from the dash, door and the sunroof pings.

We are still working with the dealer to fix the rattles but they are hard to isolate. We actually had the service tech ride with us to find the back seat rattle- it worked.

Also, have you noticed if you play music loudly, the outside mirrors vibrate. Never had that in a vehicle before.
Old 03-17-02, 12:47 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the same problem, in multiple areas of the car and they are not what I consider minor noises, they occur on any coarse surface. I have tried underinflating tires too and that doesn't cure the rattles.

Many I would consider a fast buzzy rattle, frequently occuring at higher speeds when striking small bumps or concrete road expansion joints. I have isolated them on both sides of the rear door, that interminable glove box latch area (mine still rattles), instrument panel area, both sides of dashboard, drivers side rear door area and several others that I cannot pinpoint until I get the obvious ones fixed.

The dealer has been very helpful but I am going to really have to go after the rest of the buzzes as they are becoming more frequent and numerous and are seriously adversely affecting what is an otherwise pleasant experience with the vehicle. The dealers and service tips apparently only specify using some felt but I belive a cushioning material is really needed for these spped buzzy rattles. Will post any answers I can obtain.

In my opinion, if Lexus is going to produce a stiffer suspension vehicle like the RX, they are going to have to work on fixing these basic workmanship problems. I wonder how the IS is doing in this area?
Bob