RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New to the forum....code issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 07:00 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to the forum....code issues...

Hi everyone. I have been reading posts in here and have some good ideas and advice. If I can help anyone I will. I need some help here though--
I had my 1999 RX300 (136133 miles) diagnosed for bad 02 sensors. I had them both replaced by my mechanic on Sat. Six miles later the car is sluggish and slow then takes off like a rocket. Almost as if it was going to stall then excellerates. I took it to Advanced Auto and plugged in the diagnostic machine and wrote down the codes:

PO 171 to lean
PO 172 to rich
PO 1130 fuel air ratio
PO 1135 fuel air master

I am baffled at this and nervous about what my bill will be. It costs me $110 just to have it looked at by Lexus, I mean just to walk in the door and goes up from there. My own opinion is it could be the Mass Air Flow sensor. Has anyone had these codes before?
I don't want to keep putting money into this car. I read some of these posts and see people putting money into it at no end.

Thank you for your opinion and help.

Last edited by Dietz; 02-10-09 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-10-09, 07:45 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

several things, check your gas cap and the hoses near the air filter box, sometimes the mechanics forget to hook the hoses back up. Cleaning the mas air flow sensor could also help.
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/kno...v2&id=152&c=11

Also did you use the OE air fuel sensors made by Denso, if not many have had bad luck with the Bosch ones. original equipment is best.
Old 02-10-09, 08:16 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Thomas1,
I don't remember what the name was on the 02 sensors, but I have called the parts supply store, they will replace them for me if bad. Atleast I have that covered.
It is at Lexus now. When I find out I will post all I know for this site to read, but based on what I have read here I am in for lots of repairs on this model at high miles.
May be time to cut my losses and trade it in.
Old 02-10-09, 10:10 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes will be interesting to know what brank air/fuel sensors were put in. I remember a thread about a year ago that someone fought this problem and the final fix was changing to Denso original equipment sensors and problem was gone. Hopefully Lexmex will chime in....
Old 02-10-09, 11:02 AM
Dietz
Rookie

I just received the call from Lexus. Apparently there are several O2 sensors, left and right side of the car. My mechanic replaced the wrong one near the CAT and the other O2 sensor was the wrong type period. I am having both replaced now by Lexus with their parts.
Old 02-10-09, 11:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dietz
I just received the call from Lexus. Apparently there are several O2 sensors, left and right side of the car. My mechanic replaced the wrong one near the CAT and the other O2 sensor was the wrong type period. I am having both replaced now by Lexus with their parts.
hopefully you`ll be good to go now.
Old 02-10-09, 11:09 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Lexus114, thank you. I hope I am. I get the car back tomorrow. I will post for everyone to read and hopefully if they have my codes they can have an idea as what to talk about.
Old 02-12-09, 06:08 AM
Dietz
Rookie

UPDATE.......
If you the following codes.....
PO 171 to lean
PO 172 to rich
PO 1130 fuel air ratio
PO 1135 fuel air master

You need 02 sensors. WARNING- I went to an auto supply store who gave me two new sensors. My mechanic replaced two sensors with the ones I received BUT there are two sensors under the car near the exhaust he replaced the good one with a new one. It is very hard for a mechanic to tell which one is good or bad with out a diagnostic computer. The other O2 sensor was replaced up top near the firewall and the sensor was the wrong one entirely. If you have this problem I recommend that LEXUS do the work, spend the money and have it done right. I spent an extra $580 dollars when it was not needed. I do have three out of 4 new 02 sensors now though.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 02-12-09, 06:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

UPDATE.......
If you the following codes.....
PO 171 to lean
PO 172 to rich
PO 1130 fuel air ratio
PO 1135 fuel air master

You need 02 sensors. WARNING- I went to an auto supply store who gave me two new sensors. My mechanic replaced two sensors with the ones I received BUT there are two sensors under the car near the exhaust he replaced the good one with a new one. It is very hard for a mechanic to tell which one is good or bad with out a diagnostic computer. The other O2 sensor was replaced up top near the firewall and the sensor was the wrong one entirely. If you have this problem I recommend that LEXUS do the work, spend the money and have it done right. I spent an extra $580 dollars when it was not needed. I do have three out of 4 new 02 sensors now though.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Wait a minute,3 out of 4? their are only three sensor`s in the exhaust system. 2 A/F sensors on the exhaust header`s,and one 02 sensor after the converter. Unless he mean`s two out of the three were replaced.
Old 02-12-09, 07:58 AM
Dietz
Rookie

I know what happened, thank you for pointing it out to me Lexus114. I asked to see the parts, he showed me 4 o2 sensors. He must have showed me the old one that was broke(from underneath) and the new one above (that was wrong to begin with) and the newer one that replaced the new one that was up top (supplied by Lexus). I mistook that for being 2 up top.

Great catch Lexus114
Old 02-12-09, 08:02 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

No problemo......
Old 02-12-09, 08:17 AM
Dietz
Rookie

I went to return the one that was wrong to begin with ($134 plus tax) and the store wont take it back with out the box. I am hoping I can find it from my original mechanic.
Old 02-12-09, 06:12 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to return the one that was wrong to begin with ($134 plus tax) and the store wont take it back with out the box. I am hoping I can find it from my original mechanic.
Dietz- I know this was an expensive lesson and 1 I wish you hadn't had to learn that way, but Toyota uses some VERY HIGH QUALITY parts when they build the car and the wisest thing anyone can do is use OEM when replacing parts on them. They will work right that way.
Old 02-17-09, 10:10 AM
Dietz
Rookie

I will no doubt use the OEM parts for now on. I will say the car is running very well now.
Smooth.
Old 02-22-09, 10:33 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

I'm having the same problem with O2 Sensors. My local mechanic replace 2 o2 sensors and the codes came back on. I went to Lexus and they said the aftermarkets for o2 dont work well. So they replace the #2 sensor with an OEM. The codes came back on the next day. I went back and they said a small hole in the pipe near the Cat may be the issue. So they said go to a muffler shop and have it looked at. The muffler shop said I need a new Cat for $835.00. The OEM is 1500.00. Taking it to another shop for another opinion. This car sucks right now.

Quick Reply: New to the forum....code issues...