RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Scrambled eggs every time

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 02:04 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
A little further up from the previous photo we find the cord.
Lexmex- Is that an '03 or is that your RX? The reason I figured the RX would have been FBW by '03 is that my wifes '02 Camry is and I had read that some of the things they did to try and keep the RX's from puking transmissions on the freeway were done in the magic box of the computer world. That they retarded spark (to reduce power) and reduced throttle at the second of shift in a way that was unnoticeable to the driver but would reduce strain on the clutches and bands. I would have thought they had done that by '03 but maybe not. Those are things that just aren't possible with conventional cable throttle.
Old 02-14-09, 02:16 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrDan
Thanks for the response Code 58. I drove a Mercedes 300SD for almost 200K miles. The only way to make that 5000 pound car move was to floor it every time. Aha he says, "you MB driving habits are still with you." But, since I haven't driven it in about 3 years (it is sitting on my driveway waiting for someone to "pry it out of my dead, cold fingers") I have broken myself of the habit. I very consciously do the egg on the gas pedal technique and it still spurts in acceleration--just momentarily and then it behaves normally. I will follow your suggestions this weekend. In the meantime, my upright freezer just blew its cool in the garage and that is a more pressing problem at the moment.
DrDan- I laughed when I read that. When I worked for the BMW dealer years ago, we also did all the work for the Volvo and Mercedes dealers because they didn't have their own body shops. I have driven those SD's and you didn't want to get behind one because you weren't gonna be home in time for dinner!
Some people don't like the DBW because often they are not as responsive as the cable (they can be programed to be totally responsive) but I personally like it because there aren't the jackrabbit starts (useful in the parking lot) that there are with cable if you happen to accelerate a little to aggressively. Hope the freezer is not a terrible experience. Been there, done that.
Old 02-17-09, 12:51 PM
DrDan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Lexmax, you nailed it. Your pictures are exactly what I have. I spent the morning removing and replacing the door actuator. I have a write up I am going to post shortly. I guess my next task is to track down the linkage on the RX and eyeball any lube or adjustment problems. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 02-17-09, 01:06 PM
DrDan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear code 58 (there must be some interesting factoid behind that number). Yep. the freezer blew its cool. The top two shelves were frosted over (non-defrosting model) and the bottom two were mushy and defrosted. I put a pair of bar clamps on the door to ensure that the seal was tight, but it didn't make any difference. The top shelf is freezing at the moment I put 4 bags of ice in to help it along until a replancement arrives. We will never buy another Frigidaire upright again. We had two premature losers in a row. As for programming the FBW, can you enlighten me? I am not familiar with that technology at all.
Old 02-17-09, 01:22 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Dude...Dear lexmex,dear code 58. Its okay to loosen up on here,were not that formal..
Old 02-17-09, 08:09 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While we're on DBW... I've always wondered that since there is no physical connection between the pedal we step on and the throttle, with everything being computer controlled, what is the safety fallback to prevent the computer from malfunctioning and gasing the throttle when it was not intended to? What if you're driving in traffic and suddenly the computer "jams" on the gas?
Old 02-17-09, 11:50 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
While we're on DBW... I've always wondered that since there is no physical connection between the pedal we step on and the throttle, with everything being computer controlled, what is the safety fallback to prevent the computer from malfunctioning and gasing the throttle when it was not intended to? What if you're driving in traffic and suddenly the computer "jams" on the gas?
Believe it or not, they seem to be extremely reliable. For the gazillion cars (and trucks of all kinds) that are out there I think they have extremely little problem. Having said that, I don't know if you remember the Audi situation quite a few years back or not. People would claim they would go to full throttle on their own. Audi won the case, but i don't know how they ever slept (lots of help from Jim Beam I guess). There were many cases and even deaths from this uncommanded acceleration. It DID happen, I believe just the way most of the people reported it. We had a case in the shop I worked in (I had worked on the car, very minor fender work) but i wasn't driving it when it happened. The painter went to move the car and was fortunate he had his foot on the brake when he started it. There was a terrible squeeling of tires and in about 15 seconds he came out of the paint shop white as a ghost. He had simply turned the key to start it, put it in drive and it went to full throttle. He was fortunate he had his foot on the brake because he was able to floor the brake to hold it and get the key turned off. No damage done except to his underwear. That's not the only time I'm aware of but the only time I was physically present. Ever use anything chip operated that didn't do what it was supposed to? Same thing- cyberworld demons.
Old 02-18-09, 12:08 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrDan
Dear code 58 (there must be some interesting factoid behind that number). Yep. the freezer blew its cool. The top two shelves were frosted over (non-defrosting model) and the bottom two were mushy and defrosted. I put a pair of bar clamps on the door to ensure that the seal was tight, but it didn't make any difference. The top shelf is freezing at the moment I put 4 bags of ice in to help it along until a replancement arrives. We will never buy another Frigidaire upright again. We had two premature losers in a row. As for programming the FBW, can you enlighten me? I am not familiar with that technology at all.
FBW is operated through the PCM. They can flash the computer (and do updates for problems as needed), but it's the manufacturer that does those update program changes. With a programer (I don't know, but I doubt that there are any for the Lexus), you can change quite a few things about how the trans. operates. Otherwise it would probably be dependent on what the manufacturer had come out with in the way of current reflash programs. Normally, if you have it reflashed and there is something you liked better about the way the electronic control of the vehicle was before, you're out of luck, they can't go back and put your old back in, it's gone (probably been written over). The electronic signal is going to go through the PCM and then to the little motor that actually does the accelerating. This is why you don't see any cruise control servo's once they went to FBW. It's extremely easy to let electronics do the work, almost nothing to cruise control anymore. I should have told you to look to see if you had a cruise control servo. If you have a servo, no FBW.
Old 02-18-09, 06:18 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Ya know I never thought of that,I`d say bend over and kiss your you know what good-bye!! No seriously,if one could think fast enough,just turn the car off,or something of that nature. It may be a little hard to keep your head in an event such as that though.
Old 02-20-09, 12:24 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus114
Ya know I never thought of that,I`d say bend over and kiss your you know what good-bye!! No seriously,if one could think fast enough,just turn the car off,or something of that nature. It may be a little hard to keep your head in an event such as that though.
I have been a "switch hitter" all my life. By that I mean I use either my L. or R. foot on the brake. I always use L. foot on the brake in parking and stop and go driving. It's instinctive, I never think about what my feet are doing and I even switch back and forth if I get bored. I feel that a person who is able to use either is actually a safer driver because in critical situations like those mentioned, my L. foot is always above the pedal (no, not ON it like some brake light testers), for immediate action. I have some time flying a helicopter and for anyone who has, you know your 4 members have to coordinate instinctively, you can't be thinking about what they're doing or it's too late! LOL