RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

how much $ does a genuine Lexus windshield cost for the RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 06:46 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Use a reputable supplier like PPG and make sure your glass is made to OEM specs. That way you won't be paying $1000 for the Lexus logo.
when I had the windshield on my Mercedes E350 replaced, the insurance
company got me an aftermarket PPG glass without Mercedes star logo...
When I saw that at the glass shop, I called them from the glass shop and
suprisingly, the insurance company agreed to get me a genuine Mercedes
windshield. They arraged to have me go down to the Mercedes dealer the
next afternoon.

Guess what... when I showed up the next day, the same glass shop's guy
was there with his mobile van. He and I walked to the Mercedes parts
dept and looked at the Mercedes glass. Surprise! The Mercedes glass is
exactly the same PPG glass. It does have a Mercedes name and star logo,
with PPG underneath it. Oh well....
Old 02-24-09, 07:54 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess it's just a matter of finding a good installer who uses close to OEM spec glasses, like PPG from what I'm hearing here. Hey, if you don't look carefully, I'm sure even the Lexus OEM could have some pieces with distortion.

Also, to properly check for any distortion, you need to look at a stationery point off in the distance where there is a straight line (i.e. a door, or wall corner) and then pan the whole glass across the line, while maintaining your vision fixed on the line. I had a pair of eye glasses once that was distorted on the right, right hand bottom corner and my eyes only crossed that area when I was making right turns and shifting my eyes over. It literally made me dizzy from looking through the distortion field.

Hey, everything is getting a good referral and then checking the product out before installation.
Old 02-25-09, 12:35 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyotaLexus
when I had the windshield on my Mercedes E350 replaced, the insurance
company got me an aftermarket PPG glass without Mercedes star logo...
When I saw that at the glass shop, I called them from the glass shop and
suprisingly, the insurance company agreed to get me a genuine Mercedes
windshield. They arraged to have me go down to the Mercedes dealer the
next afternoon.

Guess what... when I showed up the next day, the same glass shop's guy
was there with his mobile van. He and I walked to the Mercedes parts
dept and looked at the Mercedes glass. Surprise! The Mercedes glass is
exactly the same PPG glass. It does have a Mercedes name and star logo,
with PPG underneath it. Oh well....
Point made- There are quite a few auto manufacturers that do exactly the same thing- buy from the major manufacturers who then put their name and logo on it- and jack the price up 2 or 3 hundred % (for the logo and name). I spent my life in the trade, indeed it is fact.
Old 02-25-09, 12:47 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob2200
I had my windshield replaced a few years ago. (Freak accident; underground parking garage roof collapsed on car). The place my insurance company said to take it had an inflated price for walk-in customers and a far lower price they charged the insurance company.
Though I spent my life in the automotive trade, I was retired when I had the windshield in my DIL's RX replaced so didn't have the contacts to get the same price I would have in the past. I went online and with a little investment of time discovered I could get almost the same price as a private party that we had gotten wholesale in the shop. And that was installed at her home. Glass (especially windshields) has a huge mark up from wholesale to retail. I very frankly don't know who they ever get the retail price from- I don't think they ever do. The windshields that we had frequently replaced in Crown Vic's at one time listed for over $1200. (they have since dropped the price). We paid about $145. installed for that windshield. Glass is a highly competitive business.
Old 02-25-09, 12:57 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I guess it's just a matter of finding a good installer who uses close to OEM spec glasses, like PPG from what I'm hearing here. Hey, if you don't look carefully, I'm sure even the Lexus OEM could have some pieces with distortion.

Also, to properly check for any distortion, you need to look at a stationery point off in the distance where there is a straight line (i.e. a door, or wall corner) and then pan the whole glass across the line, while maintaining your vision fixed on the line. I had a pair of eye glasses once that was distorted on the right, right hand bottom corner and my eyes only crossed that area when I was making right turns and shifting my eyes over. It literally made me dizzy from looking through the distortion field.

Hey, everything is getting a good referral and then checking the product out before installation.
Glass is made all over the world (often in countries that you can't even pronounce) and virtually all glass has some distortion. The one thing a lot of people don't realize is the distortion (minor) that you see when you look across the glass will likely never be noticed in the life of the vehicle when you are sitting in the drivers or passengers seat looking out of the windshield from a 60 to 90 degree angle. Virtually anything the installers that the major insurance companies use is going to meet original equipment standards.
Old 02-25-09, 01:39 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ToyotaLexus
how much $ does a genuine Lexus windshield cost for the RX300?
(paying for it myself, not via insurance) I stopped by a glass shop
and they showed me an OEM(aftermarket) RX300, but it had not
Lexus logo anywhere.... it's made by PPG.

as long as I'm asking about windshields... did the RX300 ever have
a heated windshield option? I visited three glass shops and their
system all list two different windshields for the RX300, one regular
and one heated.... with two different part number listed????
(these are the aftermarket OEM ones)

I have all the old Lexus brochres for the RX300, 1999 to 2003.
None showed heated windshield option...
TL- I did go online and look at what the glass companies were showing for windshields and they do show a heated (says wiper park area) so it may only be that small area at the bottom so that the wipers don't get frozen to the windshield when you need them. It wasn't real clear whether there was more of the windshield heated or not but it did mention the wiper area.
Old 02-25-09, 10:01 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
For an old vehicle, I would say part with least amount of money, just make sure you select a piece which does not distort the view.
Agree: We had our RX300 windshield replace a year ago for $200. First one was distorted so they replaced it. Second one was fine. On a car less than 5 years old, or if it is an insurance job, I'd probably go to the dealer with OEM glass (more accountability) but for an older car, no way am I going to pay 10% to 20% of the car's value for a new winshield!
Old 04-27-09, 07:11 PM
lgbrennan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX350 windshield cracked

I've been searching online at multiple research sites. Questions is regarding OEM replacment windshield glass. My car is only 4 weeks old and Progressive is the insurance carrier for irrigation company who's trailer was full of gravel that sprayed my car on the freeway. THey will replace glass and said they wanted it to be just like new since I just bought it. Soon realized they cut check for non-OEM glass. I'm building case to show difference between OEM and Safelite. Negotiating is different for me because the insurance carrier isn't mine; it's the insured who caused damage. Sounds loke sound deafenng material is one issue to claim for Safelite not being the equal. Any suggestions to solidify claim. Two of their claim dept persoonel agreed that OEM should be provided at no cost to me. Help please.
Originally Posted by truciet
i would fight it...

my friend's 2007 GS350's windshield was roughly $1700 total with labor. He's with Allstate and they paid for it all minus his deductible (comp $100)
Old 04-27-09, 07:38 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

For starters, the good thing is the other insurance company has agreed to fix your vehicle.

Now if they are playing hardball, I would get your insurance company involved to deal with the other company. You can lean on your insurance company and pay your deductible and get the glass replaced, while the two insurance companies work it out.

Salim
Old 04-27-09, 08:30 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ToyotaLexus You could read the following link for windshield: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-cracked.html
Old 04-28-09, 04:50 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if used is a option for you but if you go to www.car-part.com and do a search on a windshielf for your RX, I came up with "A" grade glass price range from $100 to $275. If you go this way all a auto glass shop needs to do is install it. Last time a friend did this the windshield looked as if it was brand new and you couldn't tell the difference. Hope this helps....
Old 04-28-09, 07:50 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

lgbrennen
http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/pubs/consumer/cb020.html

Salim
Old 04-28-09, 12:44 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

If you try www.parts.com you can get the OEM RX300 windshield you want for $890.13 + whatever the shipping costs are that is the cheapest OEM site that I have ever been to.
Old 07-19-09, 10:38 AM
jamesjtc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Saftey Equipment: Water-repellent front windshield

Please see the response I recievd from Lexus ref: why buy Lexus windshield rather than after market. And what is the repellent?

Response (Saul Flores) 08/08/2005 07:08 AM
Dear Mr. Cunningham:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding your 2002 RX 300. Lexus appreciates the time you have taken to communicate with us.

Lexus recommends using Lexus glass because we know the standards that the glass was made with. Aftermarket glass may be manufactured with different standards than Lexus glass even if the glass is from the same supplier.

The water repellant that is used on our windshields is a special polymer coating on the outside surface of the glass that repels water. This water repellant is a permanent application.

If you have any further concerns, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Saul Flores
Customer Satisfaction Representative
Old 07-20-09, 07:51 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jamesjtc
Please see the response I recievd from Lexus ref: why buy Lexus windshield rather than after market. And what is the repellent?

Response (Saul Flores) 08/08/2005 07:08 AM
Dear Mr. Cunningham:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding your 2002 RX 300. Lexus appreciates the time you have taken to communicate with us.

Lexus recommends using Lexus glass because we know the standards that the glass was made with. Aftermarket glass may be manufactured with different standards than Lexus glass even if the glass is from the same supplier.

The water repellant that is used on our windshields is a special polymer coating on the outside surface of the glass that repels water. This water repellant is a permanent application.

If you have any further concerns, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Saul Flores
Customer Satisfaction Representative
I love this answer....I have an original Lexus windshield and the first thing I did when I got me car was a Rain X treatment because I couldn't see well out of the windshield in the Rain. I wonder what others experienced with this??

Quick Reply: how much $ does a genuine Lexus windshield cost for the RX300?