RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

how much $ does a genuine Lexus windshield cost for the RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 08:07 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how much $ does a genuine Lexus windshield cost for the RX300?

(paying for it myself, not via insurance) I stopped by a glass shop
and they showed me an OEM(aftermarket) RX300, but it had not
Lexus logo anywhere.... it's made by PPG.

as long as I'm asking about windshields... did the RX300 ever have
a heated windshield option? I visited three glass shops and their
system all list two different windshields for the RX300, one regular
and one heated.... with two different part number listed????
(these are the aftermarket OEM ones)

I have all the old Lexus brochres for the RX300, 1999 to 2003.
None showed heated windshield option...

Last edited by ToyotaLexus; 02-23-09 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-23-09, 08:11 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Well here it is:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 02-23-09, 11:18 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

The things to really consider:

1. visual distortion. I expect (which can be baseless), the ones approved for Lexus/toyota to pass some QC level.

2. Structural strength. Same expectations as above,

3. Consider the present market value of RX. Then determine if it makes sense to pay the differential.

Salim
Old 02-24-09, 12:22 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyotaLexus
(paying for it myself, not via insurance) I stopped by a glass shop
and they showed me an OEM(aftermarket) RX300, but it had not
Lexus logo anywhere.... it's made by PPG.

as long as I'm asking about windshields... did the RX300 ever have
a heated windshield option? I visited three glass shops and their
system all list two different windshields for the RX300, one regular
and one heated.... with two different part number listed????
(these are the aftermarket OEM ones)

I have all the old Lexus brochres for the RX300, 1999 to 2003.
None showed heated windshield option...
The 2 different windshields, I believe are rain sensor and without rain sensor. I had 1 installed in my DIL's '99RX (I'm pretty sure it was RS but not absolutely sure) by Safelite, a nationwide mobile glass company that does primarily mobile, (maybe a little in shop but not much). The major glass companies that do most all of the work for insurance companies ALL use glass that meets the same standard that the original ungodly overpriced LEXUS glass does. I spent my life in body and mechanical work and can tell you the glass companies that do almost all the glass replacement in the U.S. would not be in business long if they were putting in junk glass. I have looked at my DIL's RX and I can not tell it from the original, though I've spent my life in the trade and have even done some glass replacement. With a new rubber seal around the edge, installed at their house in a gated community, the total came to about $215.-$220. There is NO difference in the quality or thickness of the glass, just a HUGE difference in the profit margin for Lexus!

P.S. When I worked for a BMW dealer years ago, we bought all the glass from BMW because it was unbelievably cheap. Even the aftermarket glass companies weren't close to BMW's price. Do you think BMW put in cheap glass? I don't think so! They just chose to sell it at a reasonable price. In the late '80's it cost us about $110. for a windshield. There is an astronomical markup in glass and the profit Lexus is making is nothing short of obscene.

Last edited by code58; 02-24-09 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 03:53 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
The 2 different windshields, I believe are rain sensor and without rain sensor. I had 1 installed in my DIL's '99RX (I'm pretty sure it was RS but not absolutely sure) by Safelite, a nationwide mobile glass company that does primarily mobile, (maybe a little in shop but not much). The major glass companies that do most all of the work for insurance companies ALL use glass that meets the same standard that the original ungodly overpriced LEXUS glass does. I spent my life in body and mechanical work and can tell you the glass companies that do almost all the glass replacement in the U.S. would not be in business long if they were putting in junk glass. I have looked at my DIL's RX and I can not tell it from the original, though I've spent my life in the trade and have even done some glass replacement. With a new rubber seal around the edge, installed at their house in a gated community, the total came to about $215.-$220. There is NO difference in the quality or thickness of the glass, just a HUGE difference in the profit margin for Lexus!

P.S. When I worked for a BMW dealer years ago, we bought all the glass from BMW because it was unbelievably cheap. Even the aftermarket glass companies weren't close to BMW's price. Do you think BMW put in cheap glass? I don't think so! They just chose to sell it at a reasonable price. In the late '80's it cost us about $110. for a windshield. There is an astronomical markup in glass and the profit Lexus is making is nothing short of obscene.
Ditto to what Roger said. Replaced my wife's windshield a couple years ago after a stone hit it. Installed PPG glass in the shop for around $200. They would have installed it in my garage for the same $$ but I assumed they would have better quality control in their shop environment. Looks great and have not had any problem whatsoever. Buying a Lexus windshield is a HUGE waste of $$ IMHO.
Old 02-24-09, 04:50 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my windshield replaced a few years ago. (Freak accident; underground parking garage roof collapsed on car). The place my insurance company said to take it had an inflated price for walk-in customers and a far lower price they charged the insurance company.
Old 02-24-09, 04:53 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea my glass got hit by a rock the winter after i bought it and it cracked but i got it replaced by safelite and since i was a customer of geico i got like a 40 percent discount making my total like 250, give or take
Old 02-24-09, 08:58 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are no sensors in the 99-03 rx300 windshield. It comes down to the clarity of the lass, UV blocker, and the lexus water repel film.

I had my windshield replaced last March (so almost a year ago) with an aftermarket windshield, called Pilkington. The first one they put on was distorted right against the left pillar (VERY ANNOYING). Had it replaced. The second one seemed ok, but they scratched it while putting it in, so i had them replace it. The third one was distorted in front of the passenger side, but only visible from my seat... They refused to replace it again stating that it was due to the fact that the rx300 windshield is big, and it's to be expected...

Also, i noticed the difference when it would rain. Rain would just bead up differently, and make it less visible to see out of. My windshield wipers now need to be replaced much sooner. Also, the glass on this windshield lets more UV in which can age interior materials, and the glass doesn't have that 'greenish' hue the front side glass does. It's just odd.

Lastly, the aftermarket windshield seems to chip with every little piece of sand that hits it. In the one year i've had this one, it looks worse than the original oem one did after 5 years and 60k miles...

But yeah, the aftermarket windshield is $150 while an OEM windshield is $1500... If i were going to keep the car for 10 more years, i'd go with oem, but i can't see spending $1500 on oem just to keep it a few more years. You'd may as well replace it with an aftermarket windshield every spring for the next 6 years...
Old 02-24-09, 09:37 AM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cduluk
But yeah, the aftermarket windshield is $150 while an OEM windshield is $1500... If i were going to keep the car for 10 more years, i'd go with oem, but i can't see spending $1500 on oem just to keep it a few more years. You'd may as well replace it with an aftermarket windshield every spring for the next 6 years...
The aftermarket PPG windshield that I saw definitelly had distortion problems.
The workers at the glass shop held it up so I could look through it. They had
three in stock and all three had different degrees of distortion in different
parts of the glass. I went back and looked at the original windshield in my
RX300, no distortion at all... The glass shop manager said he could check
his other warehouses(they are a big chain) and find me one that has no
distortion, but somehow I doubt it... He did call me this morning and
said that he could get me a genuine Lexus windshield for $670. Compare this
to merely $210 for the aftermarket PPG windshield.... hmmm....
Old 02-24-09, 09:56 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ToyotaLexus, finding a good aftermarket windshield is a crap shoot. One might be perfect, while others might have issues, just like what i went through.

Most aftermarket parts are like this.
Old 02-24-09, 10:25 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can not believe there is NO difference between a $200 and $1200 windshield, even with high dealer markups. I may just be a "sucker" and thinking too much into this but if Lexus sells the same $200 glass at $1200, wouldn't there be no demand eventually for OEM winshields?

With that said, if the car was less than five years old, I would get OEM. More than 10, aftermarket. Between 5-10 is the "iffy" range of determining if OEM or not.
Old 02-24-09, 11:06 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I can not believe there is NO difference between a $200 and $1200 windshield, even with high dealer markups. I may just be a "sucker" and thinking too much into this but if Lexus sells the same $200 glass at $1200, wouldn't there be no demand eventually for OEM winshields?

With that said, if the car was less than five years old, I would get OEM. More than 10, aftermarket. Between 5-10 is the "iffy" range of determining if OEM or not.
Use a reputable supplier like PPG and make sure your glass is made to OEM specs. That way you won't be paying $1000 for the Lexus logo.

Last edited by artbuc; 02-24-09 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 11:22 AM
salimshah

Here is a hypothetical question for all who say the non Toyota/Lexus logo on the glass is equivalent to one with it.

If you were to pay NOTHING for a) Non-lexus branded galss or b) Lexus/Toyota branded glass.

Which one would you choose?

Salim
Old 02-24-09, 02:46 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by salimshah
Here is a hypothetical question for all who say the non Toyota/Lexus logo on the glass is equivalent to one with it.

If you were to pay NOTHING for a) Non-lexus branded galss or b) Lexus/Toyota branded glass.

Which one would you choose?

Salim
I can only go by my personal experience. My PPG aftermarket is 100% ok. Maybe I am one of the few lucky ones. Let's see, if I could have a free BMW 750iL or a free Honda Accord, hmmmm, let's see...eany, meany, miny, mo...
Old 02-24-09, 04:05 PM
salimshah

I wanted to get the discussion back on out-of-pocket cost.

For an old vehicle, I would say part with least amount of money, just make sure you select a piece which does not distort the view.

Some years ago, a member was getting sick driving around with the first replacement.

Salim

Quick Reply: how much $ does a genuine Lexus windshield cost for the RX300?