RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 11:19 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Not sure exactly when the change happened. I suggest look at the owner's handbook.

My observations are based ob personal experience with '99 and what got posted here in forum.

Salim
Salim- I have read the same thing on the Lexus forums- some who needed to reprogram. My DIL's is a '99 and as many times as I have had the battery disconnected (and even replaced it) I never had to reprogram anything. (Can't speak for the radio or clock, I never turn the radio on and she can reprogram if it needs it.)
Old 02-28-09, 06:15 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a replacement battery from a Toyota dealer. It's a Toyota battery identical to the one in my RX300. The only difference was that the battery said "TOYOTA" instead of "LEXUS" on it. The cost was $65 installed, but they also charged me $2 for "enviromental disposal fee" on the bill. Perhaps I should have taken the dead battery home and saved the $2?

The best parts is that the Toyota battery came with towing benefits for the duration of the battery's warranty. If it goes dead, I can just call Toyota and they'll come out and jump it, or replace it, if needed.
Old 03-01-09, 12:27 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sarah
I bought a replacement battery from a Toyota dealer. It's a Toyota battery identical to the one in my RX300. The only difference was that the battery said "TOYOTA" instead of "LEXUS" on it. The cost was $65 installed, but they also charged me $2 for "enviromental disposal fee" on the bill. Perhaps I should have taken the dead battery home and saved the $2?

The best parts is that the Toyota battery came with towing benefits for the duration of the battery's warranty. If it goes dead, I can just call Toyota and they'll come out and jump it, or replace it, if needed.
That's a heck of a deal for $65. but also awfully cheap for a battery from either Toyota or Lexus. How long is the warrantee? The $2. disposal fee is probably fair. MOST of the parts that go onto your Lexus automobile in a Lexus dealer say Toyota on the container, can, box or whatever they come in. You just don't realize that most of the time because the customers that have their cars serviced or repaired at any dealer never see the parts containers. Same parts, just cost you more if done at a Lexus dealer.
Old 03-01-09, 07:15 AM
sarah

Originally Posted by code58
MOST of the parts that go onto your Lexus automobile in a Lexus dealer say Toyota on the container, can, box or whatever they come in.
"MOST"??? Isn't it more like 100% of the parts? I don't recall seeing
any parts used at the Lexus dealer that didn't say "Toyota" on it. When
my Lexus engine cover cracked, the replacement cover came in a Toyota
parts box. Or more recently, the Lexus navigation DVD also said Toyota
on the case.

Is there a Lexus replacement part that comes in a Lexus box?
Old 03-01-09, 07:32 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I dont think so. Toyota loves to cut cost whenever they can. What great way to save the company than to use the same box for everything?
Old 03-01-09, 08:51 AM
sarah

Originally Posted by GSteg
I dont think so. Toyota loves to cut cost whenever they can. What great way to save the company than to use the same box for everything?
I know...

I used to own an Infiniti FX a few years back. The Infiniti dealer didn't use Nissan oil filter.... well, actually it was a Nissan oil filter, but it came in an Infiniti cardboard box.
Old 03-01-09, 11:06 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sarah
"MOST"??? Isn't it more like 100% of the parts? I don't recall seeing
any parts used at the Lexus dealer that didn't say "Toyota" on it. When
my Lexus engine cover cracked, the replacement cover came in a Toyota
parts box. Or more recently, the Lexus navigation DVD also said Toyota
on the case.

Is there a Lexus replacement part that comes in a Lexus box?
The REPLACEMENT battery in my DIL's RX says Lexus on it and it is the same thing that Toyota uses as you said in reverse. It was replaced under warrantee. It is made in Mexico which I doubt the original Lexus batteries were, more likely Japan. You are probably right, there would be very few parts that didn't say Toyota. I thought there might be some that were not common to Toyota that would bear the Lexus name. Buy the same part at a Lexus dealer that you buy at a Toyota dealer and I bet there aren't very many that don't have a premium price just because of WHERE you bought them.