RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rx300 Interior Custom LED "additions" *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 08:28 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx300 Interior Custom LED "additions" *PICS*

Hey guys!!

Just thought i would post a few pictures of the interior of my Rx300 where i've added some LED modifications. A few years ago my cousin purchased an 07 Rx350 and i noticed some of the nice LED upgrades, such as blue LED's in the cupholder area, and LED's in the inside door handles. The night i got home, i drew up some plans and schematics to add these functions in my 03 Rx300

In these pics you'll notice:

- green LED's in the coin drawer. I mounted a switch to control the lights to illuminate only when the drawer is opened. This is for all the nights at the drive-thru at Burger King fumbling with change :P

- green LED's in all 4 interior door handles. I chose green so that it would match the factory green of the radio console etc. I initially had amber like on the rx350, but decided green was a better match.

- blue LED's in the center top drawer illuminating everything in the cup holder area. I also created a white LED tube illuminating my radar detector controller and display. There is also a blue LED illuminating a "slit" at the opening end of the ashtray cover. Lastly a blue LED illuminating the handle area where you open the drawer.

- blue LED's illuminating the flip-up cup holder. When the cover is closed, the outline is illuminated as well.

I also have white LED's in all 3 dome lights, not pictured.

These lights may seem EXTREMELY bright, but they're just right. They also dim with the rest of the radio console lights etc as they're on the same circuit.

I hope you enjoy Please comment!!

Last edited by cduluk; 02-27-09 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-27-09, 08:29 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Old 02-27-09, 08:30 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, that's a really neat mod. You have to have one of the most clean and "different" RX's on here. I thought I was special with my LED mods in the doors or wherever there was a 194 bulb
Old 02-28-09, 12:52 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very impressive.
Old 03-01-09, 05:42 PM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

gheez, makes my ride look like a jalopy.

dang, ill be right over...
Attached Thumbnails Rx300 Interior Custom LED "additions" *PICS*-im000266-small-.jpg  

Last edited by praxis; 03-01-09 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-01-09, 05:57 PM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

its awesome man. i only wish i had time and talent to do that stuff myself. i knew you were a talented individual when i was asking about my auto headlight leving sensor and you chimed in about having yours manually wired... you are my hero, lol, hands down...
Old 03-01-09, 06:32 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good job came out nice... i havent been seeing anyone moddin there rx300 lately... it makes me want to post up my new wheels .lol
Old 03-02-09, 10:00 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

thanks guys! The added light really does make the interior look very unique. All the modifications i do to my car are things Lexus should have done in the first place. I try to keep everything looking OEM

Can you suggest anything else i could do to the interior? My next projector is getting some oem Lexus skid plates with the illuminating "LEXUS" and retro-ing them in the rx300.
Old 03-05-09, 12:17 PM
Rx300Mat
Rookie

dude that would be so badass cduluk i have always wanted to do that just expensive and time consuming better post pics of how you do it and pricing so i can jump on it!
Old 03-05-09, 12:18 PM
Rx300Mat
Rookie

and where did u get those bulbs at and how did u wire it all up i wanna do something for the cupholders and center console as well.
Old 03-05-09, 08:12 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

I've added another light mod today bought some rx330 illuminating scuff plates. Had to do some cutting, heating/melting/shaping etc but i got them to fit in pretty well! There's no way the Rx300 didn't mate with something else to produce the rx330, because these pieces were SO close in size. lol

Also changed out the amber to white-ish blue which i think looks much better. Now it matches the keyring hole i changed to the same whiteish blue.

These scuff plates now go one whenever the keyring light does because that's what i used as the power source. Just ran wires under the carpet to each location. Took 4-5 hours to do minus the trip to the accident room lol...

Got the scuff plates for $165 shipped to my door from ebay. The tan of the rx330 matches the tan of the rx300 perfectly. absolutely perfectly

Here are some pics! Tell me what you think.

Last edited by cduluk; 03-05-09 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-05-09, 08:12 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Last edited by cduluk; 03-05-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-06-09, 12:37 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

dude,you rule!!
Old 03-06-09, 01:49 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Wow that looks fantastic. Must of took a lot of custom work. Are the lights coming from the bottom/base of the side cup holders or under the holders?

I especially like the lighted Lexus scuff/step plates. A small touch that makes the car more classy.
Old 03-06-09, 08:24 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

thanks guys

All of these lights are totally custom; not one "LED bulb" that you could buy in a store was used in these additions. I created all of them with simple circuits and LED's and resistors right from the factories in Hong Kong lol.

The lights in the flip-up cup holder are actually being reflected from tiny LED's mounted in the tips of the arms facing downward. It's a simple idea but works lol.

And indeed, the illuminated scuff plates are a BIG one. They're one of my favorite light mods i've done on the rx300

It would be so hard for me to write up a tutorial on a "how to" to add all of these lights, only because it's not like you can just 'replace' a bulb with an LED bulb and be done with it =/ I had to run all the wiring myself, drill all the necessary holes, do all of the mounting, everything basically from scratch. When you take it piece by piece it's really easy actually. Just as a hole it's like AHHHH how'd dey do dat?

The hardest part is running all the damn wiring and getting the console apart... You need to know where to tap voltage from, which resistor value to use... it's a science

As long as you have the materials, tools, and the knowledge of how to make a simple LED circuit, it's pretty easy.

And the best place to get LED's is from eBay. I swear by it lol

Quick Reply: Rx300 Interior Custom LED "additions" *PICS*