RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How can I determine if my RX has the dreaded oil sludge problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 06:24 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can I determine if my RX has the dreaded oil sludge problem?

How can I determine if my RX has the dreaded oil sludge problem? It's a 2001 model and I seem to remember receiving a letter from Lexus about an externded engine warranty? Anybody remember how long that's for?

I have changed my enginel oil and filter regularly according the Lexus owner's manual. It has always received Mobil synthetic engine oil since the very first oil change back in 2001.

When my Lexus extended 100k warranty was about to expire, I had the dealer perform a detailed checkup to make sure there were no issues. (which was a good idea because I did not want to have to encounter a problem two days after the warranty expired) They gave my RX300 a clean bill of health. The dealer actually looked really hard to try and find a problem, so they could repair it and bill Lexus. But unfortunately they found none, so they weren't able to make any money off my RX300 at that time.
Old 02-28-09, 10:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

The only thing I can tell you if you really want to do it is have the engine cover to reveal this and see if there is any sludge in there, but I really doubt you'd have the issue if you're not noticing anything odd about your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails How can I determine if my RX has the dreaded oil sludge problem?-img_2370.jpg  
Old 02-28-09, 11:56 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sarah
How can I determine if my RX has the dreaded oil sludge problem? It's a 2001 model and I seem to remember receiving a letter from Lexus about an externded engine warranty? Anybody remember how long that's for?

I have changed my enginel oil and filter regularly according the Lexus owner's manual. It has always received Mobil synthetic engine oil since the very first oil change back in 2001.

When my Lexus extended 100k warranty was about to expire, I had the dealer perform a detailed checkup to make sure there were no issues. (which was a good idea because I did not want to have to encounter a problem two days after the warranty expired) They gave my RX300 a clean bill of health. The dealer actually looked really hard to try and find a problem, so they could repair it and bill Lexus. But unfortunately they found none, so they weren't able to make any money off my RX300 at that time.
Since you have run synthetic since it was new I have my serious doubts that you would have a sludge problem. If anyone has reported sludge problems with full synthetic changed on a regular basis I can't remember it.
Old 03-01-09, 06:46 AM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the engine in my 99 RX failed due to sludge, the CEL came on and it was running very rough. The dealer looked into the engine and saw the sludge almost immediately. Mine too had been serviced per Lexus schedule, only we had been using regular oil.

I don't think that you would have this issue using synthetic. If you need absolute resolution, take it to the dealer and have them look it over.
Old 03-01-09, 07:09 AM
sarah

Originally Posted by code58
Since you have run synthetic since it was new I have my serious doubts that you would have a sludge problem. If anyone has reported sludge problems with full synthetic changed on a regular basis I can't remember it.

When I bought my RX300, it had 7 miles on the odometer. After only 1000
miles, I brought it in for its first oil change, using Mobil 1 synthetic. Like I
said, it has never had any other oil put in except Mobil 1, every 4000 to 5000
miles, per Lexus service schedule. I guess Lexus can blame it on Mobil if
anything goes wrong?
Old 03-01-09, 08:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

When I bought my RX300, it had 7 miles on the odometer. After only 1000
miles, I brought it in for its first oil change, using Mobil 1 synthetic. Like I
said, it has never had any other oil put in except Mobil 1, every 4000 to 5000
miles, per Lexus service schedule. I guess Lexus can blame it on Mobil if
anything goes wrong?
1000 miles?? that wasnt even ready for synthetic oil yet,was not fully worn in.
Old 03-01-09, 08:49 AM
sarah

Originally Posted by lexus114
1000 miles?? that wasnt even ready for synthetic oil yet,was not fully worn in.
oh... no... does that mean damage was caused as a result?

my other car came from the factory pre-filled with Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil, according to the sticker on top of the engine cover when I took delivery.(but it's a MB)
Old 03-01-09, 11:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

my other car came from the factory pre-filled with Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil, according to the sticker on top of the engine cover when I took delivery.(but it's a MB)
its not standard procedure to do it that way,but if you have no oil consumption issues by now,then you shouldnt have any problems.
Old 03-01-09, 12:08 PM
sarah

Originally Posted by lexus114
its not standard procedure to do it that way,but if you have no oil consumption issues by now,then you shouldnt have any problems.
I know it's not needed, but I check my engine oil level everytime I fill up gas. The dipstick had always been really clean, so I assume that I'm safe?
Old 03-01-09, 10:53 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't own one but I believe Corvette also comes factory filed with Mobil1.
I am not arguing with anyone, only stating an opinion but I think maybe a little too much is made of leaving the factory fill in for a certain amount of time before changing to synthetic of your choice. (I would always follow factory directions that stated not to change to any other oil for a certain # of miles) I don't know of any auto manufacturers that use "break in oil" or have for some time. They fill at the factory with what they recommend using for the rest of it's life. I see no negative result then from using synthetic unless the particular manufacturer recommends not to. I have always driven my new cars and trucks from the time I left the lot just the way I will always drive them- no babying. And I have never had 1 that used any oil. I have a very interesting link that I will PM to anyone that wants it but would rather not post to the general forum. And I absolutely believe in it's validity.
Old 03-02-09, 06:27 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my '92 Integra, I let the thing run to 1500 miles and switched to synthetic (Mobil 1) and never looked back. Running to 220K now and still looking good. Only some burn off, but cams and stuff look great.

Yes, the Corvette comes from factory with synthetic, so don't believe the "engine break in with conventional" crap. If the engine is suppose to run at existing tolerances and synthetic lubes the parts better, then why let the car "wear away" if not necessary.
Old 03-02-09, 10:05 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

this is what a oil sludge engine looks like after scrapping, still bad....only 50k miles with dino oil....and 4 to 5k oil changes....
Attached Thumbnails How can I determine if my RX has the dreaded oil sludge problem?-oil-sludge-engine.jpg  
Old 03-02-09, 10:13 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sludge

Originally Posted by thomas1
this is what a oil sludge engine looks like after scrapping, still bad....only 50k miles with dino oil....and 4 to 5k oil changes....

That pictures brings a tear to my eyes... that's just sad, and wrong. No matter how bad that looks, there are even worse cases. Like someone else said, just gotta rip the cover off and take a look. No sure fire way otherwise...
Old 03-02-09, 11:48 AM
sarah

Originally Posted by thomas1
that's a sad-looking engine... I don't know much about the internal workings of car engines, but it doesn't look like Toyota engineers allowed enough space for engine oil to flow freely. The only time I've seen the engine with valve covered removed was my friend's BMW 325i('94 or '95?) and it had a LOT more space up there where the camshaft resides...
Old 03-02-09, 11:49 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Oh it was worst, He filled a half gallon milk container full of sludge from just the front cylinder head that you see....

Quick Reply: How can I determine if my RX has the dreaded oil sludge problem?