RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New Dashboard Alert

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 06:29 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Dashboard Alert

Ok, I noticed today that light a in the lower right of my dash board came on today. It appears to be the tale lights (shape of the car with what looks like lights coming off the rear of the car). I forgot my owners manual when I left the car today other wise I would look it up. I don't feel like walking the 5 blocks back to the parking garage to get it so I thought I would ask in here while I am at work. Does anyone know what this is?
It was on once before, but when I turned the car off and turned it on again the light went off.

Last edited by Dietz; 03-02-09 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 06:58 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default rear lights

Originally Posted by Dietz
Ok, I noticed today that light a in the lower right of my dash board came on today. It appears to be the tale lights (shape of the car with what looks like lights coming off the rear of the car). I forgot my owners manual when I left the car today other wise I would look it up. I don't feel like walking the 5 blocks back to the parking garage to get it so I thought I would ask in here while I am at work. Does anyone know what this is?
It was on once before, but when I turned the car off and turned it on again the light went off.

Your tail-lights are faulty. Either your brake lights, tail lights, high mount center light, or reverse light are blown. Check everything back there and something should be out. Make sure to check the center brake light.
Old 03-02-09, 07:09 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Thank you Alexusanja,
I will look at them before I leave the garage. I thought it had to be something like that.
Old 03-02-09, 07:34 AM
Dietz
Rookie

I was too curious to wait. The problem is the high mount center light is out. the other problem is I cant figure out how to get to the light to change it. It seems it is built into the car. Is there a DIY on this?
Old 03-02-09, 07:42 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default rip if off !!!!

Originally Posted by Dietz
I was too curious to wait. The problem is the high mount center light is out. the other problem is I cant figure out how to get to the light to change it. It seems it is built into the car. Is there a DIY on this?
Yeah, DIY is ... RIP IT OFF. That trim is a whole piece just held in place by about six clips. Best bet, don't start at the ends and pull because you might bend or break the trim, but start in the middle and just pull right back. The pins will start popping and hopefully you don't lose any or break the clip. They're about a nickel sized. Once the rim is out, you'll see the light and it's twist off, twist on. Once done, push the trim back in.

Was this the original bulb? I've found that for some reason, OEM bulbs will always last much longer than replacement bulbs. OEM went until like 60K and then after that, no matter if cheap Walmart bulbs or 2x-life, or Pepboys, all the same, blows out after about one year.

Anyway, once you replace the light, the indicator will go off.
Old 03-02-09, 07:53 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Thanks again. I just peaked at it quickly. Sounds easy enough.
Old 03-02-09, 08:12 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

If the trim has NEVER been removed, it will be tight. If it's been done before, it might even fall right off. I've done them so many times, the cips are going loose, but atleast the trim is not creeking while I drive.

When I say pull starting from middle, I don't mean to start at middle and continue pull from middle and rip it out in one pull. I mean to start at middle, when clips release, then move out a little more and pull again, until you get to ends.

Good luck... may the Force be with you.
Old 03-02-09, 09:56 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Yeah, DIY is ... RIP IT OFF.
That just about says it lol. Just yank, it's just held on with clips.