RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How bad are the 99-01 problems REALLY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 09:12 AM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

Man how things change as the vehicles age.

In the first year or two, the board was full of post on wind noise from spoiler and roof slats. Lexus even changed the spoiler.

item #2 was way high.

Salim
Old 03-09-09, 12:37 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom bought a 2001 rx with 111000 on it, when we drove it off the lot the cel came on the maf and all o2 censors had to be replaced. Then before i bought it from her the timing belt skipped a tooth beacause the water pump was leaking
But now that i have it, i just put 5000 miles in 2 weeks and nothing has gone wrong but the trans does scare me though, i dont like the fact that it doesnt want to shift to 4th when its cold

Oh and on long trips the seats seem to get harder.
Old 03-09-09, 06:56 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WhiteLotus, for a vehicle over 8 years old and 100K, it's a crap shoot. Unless you've been doing the maintenance and seeing the progression of the aging of the vehicle, you will be hard pressed to know for sure (even if service records look kosher) how the vehicle is or will behave in foreseeable future.

As for the transmission, it's a bummer and has affected quite a few people, but forum problems will give a false sense of "error" because we're all on here either looking for resolutions to our problems, or just reading other people's problems. ClubLexus is an excellent site and wonderful resource, but all the members combined are probably indicative of maybe 2%???? of the total Lexus populance? It would be hard to get a true number of issues based on just a forum group.

As for me, knock on wood, at 114K my trans is still smooth and doesn't seem to slip or do anything funky. As for what I've had replaced, beyond regular maintenance:

1. all four suspensions because one went bad and the dealer "recommended" I replace all four at 10% discount, so I did it. Still got hit for $1400.

2. the exhaust flex tube went bad around 110K

3. two of six coil packs went bad after 100K

Nothing else besides these three. I've always used premium 91+, Mobil 1 synthetic, and OEM filters all around.
Old 03-10-09, 06:32 AM
whitelotus
Rookie

You make a good point, AlexusAnja. It is very easy to get concerned based on a small group of owners. Reading through the GS boards, I've had NONE of the problems that seem like common complaints, and you would think they are widespread. Actually, no one I know with GS or RX has had any of these problems (except the really minor ones.) Compare that to other vehicles I've owned (an MBZ C320) which seemed to have few complaints on the MB forums and was a total piece of garbage.
Old 03-11-09, 04:49 PM
Blu J
Driver School Candidate

I have asked various service advisers at my dealership about transmission problems on 99 to 03 models. All of them replied that they never heard about this issue and where puzzled as to where I am getting this information. Either they were hiding something from me or only small % of RXs out there are affected. I have 2001 RX300 and knock on the wood it is going strong. My friend has 2000 RX300 with 200K and not a single problem with it. Over the weekend I checked latest Lemonaid. Phil Edmonston, author of Lemonaid, says that the first generation of RX has less problems overall than the second generation and gives it above average rating. He says that the second generation suffers a lot from the sludge problem in the engine. Also, he says that the first generation had better quality control than the second. You may want to check this book for your reference.
Old 03-11-09, 04:58 PM
whitelotus
Rookie

Interesting... I've gotten the same reply from three different service advisors, two that work for Lexus and one that works for an independent Toyota/Lexus shop. All of them have said they've seen perhaps a handful of transmission problems since the cars came out, but all claim they were vehicles that were never maintained properly. I just wasn't sure if that was the standard party line for the dealers... though the independent shop has no reason to defend them.
Old 03-11-09, 05:11 PM
Blu J
Driver School Candidate

There is no a perfect used vehicle. Lexus overall is one of the best brands out there. Make sure that the vehicle you buy has been properly maintained at the dealership because if the worst come to life Lexus may cover the cost of the rebuild transmission. There is such thing as an expected life of a part. Transmission should last until 250K. If you have the proof that it has been properly maintained you can take the manufacturer to a small claims court if they refuse to extend the courtesy warranty on it. I have done it before with my previous car (not a Lexus) and was successful in the court. I am not a big fan of used vehicles because you do not really know how the previous owner had treated it. If I have the choice, I would rather buy the cheapest brand new car in the market then getting a used one. Oh, I forgot to mention that you should put aside around $2000 for unexpected repairs if you are buying a used car.
Old 03-12-09, 06:30 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu J
I have asked various service advisers at my dealership about transmission problems on 99 to 03 models. All of them replied that they never heard about this issue and where puzzled as to where I am getting this information. Either they were hiding something from me or only small % of RXs out there are affected. I have 2001 RX300 and knock on the wood it is going strong. My friend has 2000 RX300 with 200K and not a single problem with it. Over the weekend I checked latest Lemonaid. Phil Edmonston, author of Lemonaid, says that the first generation of RX has less problems overall than the second generation and gives it above average rating. He says that the second generation suffers a lot from the sludge problem in the engine. Also, he says that the first generation had better quality control than the second. You may want to check this book for your reference.
that kind of maintains what i said on this board a few weeks ago, re;the 2nd generation rx looking almost cheaply built compared to ours.
Old 04-25-09, 01:17 PM
mzarkowsky
Driver School Candidate

I owned a large BMW specialty repair shop in New York and sold it years ago. I now own an RX300, Acura NSX and a Mercedes Benz 380SL. I have worked in the automotive business for over 40 years and will give you one of the observations I have made about transmission problems in Japanese and German cars.

Japanese and German engineers design transmissions based on their own cultures driving habits. This is of course logical and engineers are very logical. The single driving habit that Japanese and German drivers NEVER do is to back out of a driveway or space and throw the trans selector from reverse to drive without coming to a full stop between shifts. For some reason Americans do this as a matter of course and do it almost instinctively, unaware they are even doing it. This single lackadaisical action inherent in many of us is the root cause for many premature transmission failures.
I have replaced many transmissions for people and I have observed that many of them share this poor driving technique. Of course this is not the only cause of failure but one that significantly adds to them in my opinion.
My RX300 has 138K, the 380SL has 341K and neither has had a trans failure.
So although it may not be a cure all, if you start to think about coming to a full stop between shifts in any car you may save yourself big dollars in the future.
The failures happen because there are huge thrust loads that are placed on the trans when shifted straight from reverse to drive. This is an event that the Japanese and German engineers haven't designed for until recently because they weren't aware that this was part of American driving culture.

The next time your in a car as the driver or passenger observe the driving habit I've mentioned above. I'd be willing to bet that far more will be of the habit than not.

Last edited by mzarkowsky; 04-25-09 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-25-09, 04:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mzarkowsky
I owned a large BMW specialty repair shop in New york and sold it years ago. I now own an Rx300, Acura NSX and a Mercedes Benz 380SL. I have worked in the automotive business for over 40 years and will give you one of the observations I have made about transmission problems in Japanese and German cars.

Japanese and German engineers design transmissions bases on their own cultures driving habits. This is of course logical and engineers are very logical. The single driving habit that Japanese and German drivers NEVER do is to back out of a driveway or space and throw the trans selector from reverse to drive without coming to a full stop between shifts. For some reason Americans do this as a matter of course and do it almost instinctively, unaware they are even doing it. This single lackadaisical action inherent in many of us is the root cause for many premature transmission failures.
I have replaced many transmissions for people and I have observed that many of them share this poor driving technique. Of course this is not the only cause of failure but one that significantly adds to them in my opinion.
My RX300 has 138K, the 380SL has 341K and neither has had a trans failure.
So although it may not be a cure all if you start to think about coming to a full stop between shifts in any car you may save yourself big dollars in the future.
The failures happen because there are huge thrust loads that are placed on the trans when shifted straight from reverse to drive. this is an event that the Japanese and German engineers haven't designed for until recently because they weren't aware that this was part of American driving culture.

The next time your in a car as the driver or passenger observe the driving habit I've mentioned above. I'd be willing to bet that far more will be of the habit than not.
I actually come to a full stop.

Before when I had a car, instead of my RX300, I used to do as you mentioned Americans typically do. However, the weight of the RX300 compared to a car is different, and when going in reverse it has more momentum and I have always had the urge to stop before putting it in gear to Drive.
Old 04-25-09, 04:55 PM
mzarkowsky
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to say Thank You to Lexmex for his dedication to this site. Although I don't post much I do come to this site first for research on the RX300. The site has helped me diagnose the cracked front exhaust manifold problem and order a discounted replacement and gaskets saving me well over $1000 verses a dealer repair.
Keep up the good work and Thank You for your dedication. I was the president of the BWW Car Club of America New York Chapter for 12 years and know how thankless a job it can be. You are a good man Lexmex and appreciated silently by many.
Old 04-25-09, 05:11 PM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

Lexmex contributions are very well appreciated here. Not only technical contributions but also keeping the culture and maintaining the decorum [this is the hardest part as people sit behind computers and exercise very little constraint.

When ever I taught any one to drive, first thing I tell them is to look at the instrument cluster lamps before you crank the engine. The next thing is I tell them is to test the most vital part of the vehicle, the brakes, 2 times. Once when stationary, by engaging reverse and then in motion when you bring the vehicle to halt at the end of the reverse.

Salim