RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Someone hit my rx300 with a carriage!! GRRR :O

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 07:48 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone hit my rx300 with a carriage!! GRRR :O

I am so mad. If you have some time, read below you may get a kick out of it lol...

Let me start by saying this has been one of the worst days in a long time. This morning i completely bombed a midterm exam for one of my classes. I came home and decided to work on my car, which was turned out well until i sliced off the top of my finger with a razor blade. I went to the accident room and had 2 stitches put in.

Came home and went back to work on the car. I managed to retro rx330 light up "LEXUS" scuff plates onto my rx300 which look really neat!

After it was completed, i took a shower and decided to go out with my girlfriend to get some ice-cream. On the way, my hand started bleeding again so we stopped off at CVS to get some heavy-duty band-aids.

This is where the day got even WORSE.

Just as i pulled up to one of the parking places at CVS and turned the ignition off, i heard this "crunch". I looked to my right, and saw this lady running a shopping cart over with her car. But she didn't stop, she just kept on pushing it, right into the side of my car!!!

I felt the impact, the whole car shook. In my head all i could think about was, "maybe there's no damage!!!??". I stepped out and looked at the passenger side- my heart dropped. The pass door bottom molding was scraped. Not just in the clear, but it went into the plastic...

The lady stopped and got out of her car. She kept saying, "It's not my fault the carriage was there." I was like, "Yeah it is lady!!!".

I told her "I'm not paying for this" And she just stared at me like i had two heads. I told her it was her fault, and i asked what she was going to do about it. I told her i'd be fine if she just gave me a $100 bill but she insisted she wanted to go through her insurance. It was clear she had no idea what to do, so I told her to hold on and i called the police.

The officer arrived along with the lady's husband a few minutes after. Would you believe it, the lady's husband was friends with the cop! The cop basically told me to screw, that he couldn't write an accident report because her car didn't hit mine, the carriage did, and that it was property damage. He took my info and the lady's and gave me a "call number"?? He said i should take it up with MY insurance and that the lady was clear and free. I said, why should i take it up with my insurance, pay a $500 deductible for a $200 paint job, and have MY rates go up- when the broad hit MY car with the carriage?? It made no sense to me but the cop insisted there was nothing i could do. He told me i should go talk to manager of CVS, that it was his problem the carriage was left out there.

I talked to the manager of CVS and he agreed with me, that the lady was responsible. You don't just go ram carriages into other people's cars and get away with it!

He took all my info and i gave him this "call #" and the lady's info i gathered before the cop got there. He said he'd give me a call back tomorrow after he spoke with someone higher up than he is.

All i know is that i shouldn't have to pay a dime for these repairs. And to be honest, i don't think CVS should be responsible either! But as long as i get payed i don't care...

I hope CVS goes after the lady for the money. honestly...

Anyone have any input? lol sorry about venting... i do feel better now though.

Oh, and as soon as this was over, (1 hr later...) i had to bring my girlfriend home since she had a test to study for. No ice-cream- and i forgot the damn band aids...
Old 03-05-09, 08:15 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

here's the damage:

first, the finger...

and the car

Old 03-05-09, 09:21 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default that sux!

...you should just take her to small claims court....each party can only represent themselves (no attorneys are permitted) and you can not appeal the decision.

You should be able to win...especially since it sounds like you were parked, and your GF was a witness.

But on the positive side.....let's see those LED scuff plates!!
Old 03-05-09, 09:39 PM
DigitalEye
Driver School Candidate

No problem (well figuratively), just call her insurance co. and tell them that their client damaged your car. She's liable and she's insured. CVS has nothing to do with it (they've got more money and lawyers that you do anyhow).
Old 03-05-09, 09:46 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

I thought about small claims court, but it'll cost me hours and $100 in fees just to get her there... If there was more damage i would consider it in a heartbeat. I'm 19, and a college student; not sure if i should take the risk:/

and i posted pics of the scuff plates in another thread

I'm hoping CVS will do the suing maybe. Their lawyers and money might be influencing than my 19yr old self

and how would i find out which insurance company she has? How would i go about doing this?
Old 03-06-09, 12:31 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

definitely go through her insurance company.if you dont get any satisfaction,call your company,tell them what happened,and they will battle her insurance for you. pretty cool huh?
Old 03-06-09, 06:11 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Ask CVS to pull the security tapes....More than likely it was taped.
Old 03-06-09, 08:02 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.... I feel your pain.

I would be really mad if the cop had told me something like that in your situation.

What if the woman hit and tree and the tree landed on your hood? Is the
cop going to blame it on the tree for being there?

A few months ago, I was shopping at Lowe's at night. As I was leaving the
store, I dropped the receipt on the ground, I turned around and went to pick
it up. My hand slipped and the shopping car slipped. It started to roll down
the curb/ramp for about 20 feet and ended on on a minivan's door. The bang
was quite loud.

It absolutely my falut. The couple in the minivan came out and I began to
apologize. Fortunately, there was no damage.... not even a scratch. The
minivan had lower cladding like the RX300, but unpainted... so it was quite
durabel. Still, I went to my car and got the flashlight so I could make sure
there was no damage. The couple were nice and told me not to worry about
it. I left them my phone number anyway.

These days, not eveybody take responsibility for their own actions and that's
just sad. Last year, my own mother's car was hit by a speeding car and the
front right fender had several scratches. Guess what the other driver did?
He/she didn't even stop. He/she took off by running a redlight. It happened
too fast and my mother wasn't able to get the license plate.

Last edited by sarah; 03-06-09 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-06-09, 08:15 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

sarah, that was a really nice thing you did making sure with the couple in the minivan. I wish the people in my situation were as nice...

Someone from CVS called me today and told me they have all the info on me and the other lady, along with the info from the police. They said if i faxed them two estimates for the damage, they would take the average and cut me a check.

I feel REALLY bad that CVS will be loosing here, but i'm sure they are going to go after the lady's insurance co or what not. The damage can't be more than $100 anyways... They'll just need to repaint that one cladding, no biggie. And i've got a good shop. I guess them dishing out $100 to keep a happy customer (and family) isn't so much of a loss. I'm sure they have their own insurance anyways.

I have to say one thing from all of this, CVS has been NOTHING but sincere and helpful in this matter. They have been very quick to return my calls, and have been just so nice. I thought they'd give me the run around, but they've been very good in helping me, even though it's not their fault in the first place. I mean theoretically it is their carriage that was in the parking lot, and they are responsible for their own "equipment", but still i can't help but feel the lady should go down for this. What a good company, that's all i can say.

I hope CVS goes after the lady's insurance or something. That lady thought she was getting away with nothing, it really made me mad. I was left there with a scraped up car and she got away with it...

I will keep you updated
Old 03-06-09, 09:19 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cduluk

I hope CVS goes after the lady's insurance or something. That lady thought she was getting away with nothing, it really made me mad. I was left there with a scraped up car and she got away with it...

unfortunately, there is very little chance that CVS or its insurance carrier will
go after the lady. It just doesn't make any financial sense for them to do
so. It will also make no financial sense for you to take her to your local
small claims court.

Don't worry... someday the lady will get a taste of her own medicine!
Old 03-06-09, 09:29 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

I feel your pain. The way I look at it, Karma. What goes around, comes around.
"she just kept on pushing it, right into the side of my car!!!", why was she pushing the cart anyways? Was it snowing? She couldn't get out of the car to move it out of the way?

Good thing you were in the car. I think had you not been in the car, she would of left and "hit and run".
Old 03-07-09, 09:57 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

Well, it was dark out and i guess she didn't see it?? I saw it, but i guess from her angle she must have missed it. She said she thought it was the sound of "crinkling snow"- meaning she thought she was driving over a small pile of snow or something.

Seriously, this lady wasn't very bright lol.

I am SO glad i was still in the car when this happened. If not, she probably wouldn't have even known there was damage. At first i didn't see the damage until i brushed some of the salt off my car...

I'm just greatful that CVS is helping me out. I'll be sure to write them a nice letter or something after this is all over showing my appreciation for their help.
Old 03-09-09, 07:06 AM
Rx300Mat
Rookie

damn dude that is a wicked story glad that someone is paying for it although i agree with u the lady should have paid thru insurance not cvs but at least ur getting it fixed. "**** Happens"!
Old 03-09-09, 11:53 AM
Oivey2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shopping Cart

I am a Claims Adjuster for an insurance company and I agree with you 100% that the lady's insurance company would/should pay; however, it sounds like CVS is stepping up to the plate and handling the situation given the circumstances and I'm glad it's working out for you. Look on the bright side...you could have been standing outside the car, got the cart knocked into you and you would wind up in the emergency room again! Hey...what's the thread to the LED lighted scuffplates? Was it hard to do?
Old 03-09-09, 08:23 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Yeahh, if CVS told me to take a hike, i would have pursued it more with the lady, but as long as i get the money to fix it, doesn't matter from who...

Here's the link to the scuff plates They came out good.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ions-pics.html