RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 RX-300 AWD transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 08:54 AM
Mike Schriber
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 RX-300 AWD transmission troubles

Oh drat!

My wife reported problems with her 2001 RX-300 AWD to me yesterday. She said that the car wouldn't go in reverse yesterday morning and made some clunking sounds. After a few moments it clunked again and started work. It also continued to make some clunks while backing up. After that, it drove fine. Later, it stalled at a stop light (which it's never done before). The transmission acted up again later in the afternoon after sitting for a while. I tried it later last night and it was working fine but it's not going to be driven until I address this.

The car has about 90,000 miles. I recently (1,000 to 3,000 miles ago) drained the transmission fluid, replaced the filter with a Toyota original and refilled with Toyota ATF.

From what I've read, this sounds like the death knell for the transmission. It's been 100% trouble free until now. Anyone care to comment on what steps to take next?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-09, 09:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I really can't help more without seeing it in person. I'd ask if you've changed out, since it is an AWD, your transfer case and rear differential, both take gear fluid, and I've known people with other vehicles that have had issues over time with this.

I'd also check with one observer outside the vehicle while one backs up to see if they can noticed where the clunking is coming from, that's going to help in the diagnosis.
Old 03-06-09, 09:09 AM
Mike Schriber
Driver School Candidate

I have not changed the transfer case or rear diff fluid.

I tried to get some more data last night but of course, the car worked fine. It's going to sit over the weekend and I'll try again Sunday and report back.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-06-09, 09:48 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reverse issue was my first indication that my tranny was going, same as many others if you read through the many transmission threads. My first suggestion would be change the ATF and filter but being that you did this less than 3K ago, I would just check the condition on the dipstick. The reverse issue can sometimes be fixed by just cleaning and swapping the speed sensors. I have read posts by others where it worked for them and it worked for me. Bad news is this is usually a temporary fix. The sensors themselves don't fail. They just get bad readings due to the buildup of mettalic fuzz on them. This metallic fuzz is coming from other failing parts in the trans, most likely the planatary gears as reported by thomas1. The sensor trick worked for me for a while before I finally had to spend $3400 on a trans rebuild. I don't know about the possibility of the transfer case or rear diff fluid causing the problem. I am at 150K and still have original fluid in mine.
You can search on "speed sensors" here and on the other site for some more discussion on them. Here is one with my explanation on how to remove them:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nsmission.html
You could also just search on transmission problems here and on the other site for more info than you will ever want to know. Or google "RX transmission failure".
Old 03-06-09, 02:13 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine failed at about 115K, shortly after a transmission fluid change. Delayed engagement of reverse was my first signal, too.
Old 03-08-09, 03:59 PM
Mike Schriber
Driver School Candidate

Just got back in town and tried the car. Of course, it works fine. The transmission fluid level is fine but it's black. Not a good sign considering it was just changed.

Mike
Old 03-08-09, 04:33 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It obvious something is going on in this trans causing it to turn black so soon and it's not good. I would drop the pan and put in another filter with fresh fluid and see what else you find in there. Also make sure and drain the front diff to get the maximum ATF out. I would then clean the sensors, monitor the fluid condition and see how long it goes.
Old 03-08-09, 11:52 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

mikey00 I don't know about the possibility of the transfer case or rear diff fluid causing the problem. I am at 150K and still have original fluid in mine.
When I thought to check my DIL's rear diff fluid recently on her 99RX it came running out as soon as I got the plug to the last thread because it was a little overfull and it looked BRAND NEW. Needless to say, though some would disagree with me, I screwed the plug back in and went on with other things. I have plenty of rear axle fluid but could not see changing something that looked clear.
Old 03-09-09, 06:49 PM
Mike Schriber
Driver School Candidate

Well well... time flies when you're having fun. It seems I was getting my service visits on this thing mixed up. The transmission drain/fill and filter change was done in May of 2007. That's 22,000 miles ago. Not that long, but way more than 2,000-3,000 miles!

The filter was clogged. That's a bad sign but also the likely source of the problem. It has a new filter, cleaned speed sensors and a fresh fill of Toyota ATF. The fluid is still more red than black but the only way around that is a flush and I'm not even going to try. I guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the feedback!