RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 rx ignition lock cylinder and new keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 05:58 PM
mikeburnet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 99 rx ignition lock cylinder and new keys

ok i have a 99 rx. my wife inserted my mother in laws key into the ignition by accident and now the normal key wont turn. which apparently is a big ordeal. tried all the fixes none worked. ok so now i have a new lock cylinder with 2 keys coming tomorrow. my questions are:

1. how do i install this cylinder? anyone have pics? or scans from the service manual?
2. the keys are just precut master shells. i only have one key now. do i just swap the buttons into the new? do i have to program or will it start/remote work since the electronics are original. i have a different rx key (not for this vehicle) can i take the electronic buttons out and put into the new shell and program to work? if so, how?

any help is much appreciated
mike
Old 03-12-09, 07:49 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

The key itself is dumb. The electronics is inside the shell, that operated the remote lock, unlock, panic and electronic id (imobilizer).

I would have strongly urged you to have a locksmith fix the tumbler (or equiv) in the ignition key and keep it the same as all other cylinders (doors & hatch)

Now if you change the cylinder, you need to change the driver-side, passenger side, hatch [I dont recall glove-comp lock], so that one key can operate them all.

You can take the electronics from one key-shell to the other.

Caution: Do not rely on the remote to operate the door lock, as the security system will lock out remote, if some one nearby unlock their RX. [This was done to prevent people with scanner/trasnmitter to keep trying to unlock the RX]

Salim
Old 03-13-09, 04:44 AM
mikeburnet
Driver School Candidate

well im 80 miles from a lexus dealer and no locksmith in town will touch it. so thats why im replacing it. the ignition kit was $185 v. $650 for the whole lock set (doors,hatch glove box and ignition) and since the electronics will unlock the doors ill just keep the old key in the wifes purse or on my keyring to get into the door if the remote fails.

but still can i overwrite an existing other rx remote electronics to work on my rx and swap into my new shell?
Old 03-13-09, 07:19 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeburnet
ok i have a 99 rx. my wife inserted my mother in laws key into the ignition by accident and now the normal key wont turn. which apparently is a big ordeal. tried all the fixes none worked. ok so now i have a new lock cylinder with 2 keys coming tomorrow. my questions are:

1. how do i install this cylinder? anyone have pics? or scans from the service manual?
2. the keys are just precut master shells. i only have one key now. do i just swap the buttons into the new? do i have to program or will it start/remote work since the electronics are original. i have a different rx key (not for this vehicle) can i take the electronic buttons out and put into the new shell and program to work? if so, how?

any help is much appreciated
mike
I know you said you already tried all the fixes. Is it safe to assume you did a search on this and read about all the tapping on the key etc.? Not being able to operate the cylinder after inserting the wrong key is a very common problem on the RX and many have been able to fix it.
Old 03-13-09, 07:20 AM
mikeburnet
Driver School Candidate

yeah i searched first so this is the last resort
Old 03-13-09, 09:14 AM
salimshah

Are you not simply moving your electronic module from the old key to the new key?

Or are you getting a new module and want it registered to the cpu of your RX.

For the first, it is a simple swap .. no learning/teaching.

For the second you will have to search. I think the instructions were posted some where.

Salim
ps: The two key solution is not very dependable. I dont want to jinx it but some how the Murphy's law take over.
Old 03-13-09, 10:12 AM
mikeburnet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Are you not simply moving your electronic module from the old key to the new key?

Or are you getting a new module and want it registered to the cpu of your RX.

For the first, it is a simple swap .. no learning/teaching.

For the second you will have to search. I think the instructions were posted some where.

Salim
ps: The two key solution is not very dependable. I dont want to jinx it but some how the Murphy's law take over.
purchased car, 1 master key.
new lock cylinder kit 2 master shells

found same gen rx master key, not programmed to my vehicle. want to use the electronics in my 2nd master shell and program to my rx. make sense now?? can this be done and how?
Old 03-13-09, 02:10 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

found same gen rx master key, not programmed to my vehicle. want to use the electronics in my 2nd master shell and program to my rx. make sense now?? can this be done and how?
1. Install the lock cylinder.
2. Take the electronics from the master that came with the car and put in the master shell that came with the lock cylinder. You now have one master that will start the car and unlock the doors and hatch with remote. Only problem is it won't fit the lock cylinder on doors, hatch or glove box. So you will have to rely on the remote or your back up key to do this.
3. Next take the electronics from the RX key that is not programed to your RX and put it in the second key that came with the lock cylinder. This key will fit the ignition but wont start the car or open the doors until programmed. You need a working master to program this key which you have from step 2. Programming is a 2 step process. You must first program the key to start the car and then program the remote. Use the directions here to program the key:
http://www.toy-lex.com/programming11.html

You should now have 2 masters that will start the car and open the doors/hatch with the remote. Plus you have your old key now (without electronics) for backup just in case you need to open the doors, hatch or glove box manually. You could even cut down the head on this one and make it into a wallet key.

Last edited by mikey00; 03-13-09 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-13-09, 02:35 PM
salimshah

When you brake it down like this it does make sense

Keep in mind that you need the key(s) in ignition in succession, so get the ignition and keys matched up.

Salim
Old 03-13-09, 05:39 PM
mikeburnet
Driver School Candidate

ok lock cylinder installed. had to drill the thing out cause it wouldnt turn to acc position. grrrr anyway all is well with 1 key. i have yet to try and program the 2nd cause im afraid it will lock up the ignition again since the electronics are for a different rx.
Old 03-13-09, 07:17 PM
salimshah

Mismatch in the id should not mess you up.

The remote features will not respond and your RX will not start. My understanding is that the starter would respond, but the engine will not catch.

You are almost there.

Salim
Old 03-14-09, 06:33 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

ok lock cylinder installed. had to drill the thing out cause it wouldnt turn to acc position. grrrr anyway all is well with 1 key. i have yet to try and program the 2nd cause im afraid it will lock up the ignition again since the electronics are for a different rx.
Salim's understanding is correct, the starter will engage, engine will crank over but just won't start with wrong key electronics and correct key cut. Remember, it wasn't the electronics that initially locked up the ignition when your wife inserted a wrong key. It was the fact that the key was cut for another car and the lock cylinder wafers got mechanically messed up. All you have to do now is follow the key programming instructions as if it were a new key.
I hope it goes into programming mode for you without a hitch. There have been other posters who couldn't get into programming mode for some reason, even though they had correct procedure, master key, etc.
Just make sure you always keep that old key around that will still manually unlock your doors. You do have a car that is prone to door lock actuator problems.
Old 03-14-09, 11:39 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similiar problem around end of 2006. One of my friend drove my truck and parked in my driveway and took out the ignition key on acc position. He tried to lock the car by remote several times but didnot lock. He came to me and told me that something wrong with the truck and didnot lock the doors. But he don't know what he done for me. I tried to put the key in the ignition cylnder but didnot move to on or off. I tried to move the steering and key and nothing works about 3/4 hours early morning. Finaly I towed the truck 2000 AWD to Manhattan Lexus. They charged the following prices:
1. Replace ignition swich and recoded lock cylnder : $ 540.76
2.Parts # 89073-48020 Cylnder set, Lock W : $ 259.24
Tax : $ 67.00
Total --------------------
$ 867.00
It was total rip off.
Old 03-14-09, 12:13 PM
mikeburnet
Driver School Candidate

ok so i now have 2 keys that will start the rx but i cannot get the 2nd remote programmed per the instructions posted above. in step 2 which key do i insert? either or the one with the remote not programmed? on step 3 this is the door switch lock button correct? on step 8 which key buttons do i press? the one already programmed or the one needing programmed?
on my hondas all i do is insert working key, turn to "on" pos hit lock, turn off and repeat 4 times till lock cylinder cycles then hit lock on 1-3 others then lock on the one in ignition again and its done for 4 keys haha. immobilizer id can be done by the parts dept (if cut from master 02 older) or computer only (03+ or any non master cut)
Old 03-14-09, 01:39 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Step 2: key that starts car w/electronics that need programming
Step 3: door lock switch
Step 8: key that starts car w/electronics that need programming

Quick Reply: 99 rx ignition lock cylinder and new keys