RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

10-Year Airbag Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 03:50 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 10-Year Airbag Maintenance

I was flipping my sunshade the other day and happen to notice for no apparent reason the little "warning" on the visor about airbags and airbag safety. On it, it says that the system needs to be checked and maintained 10 years after manufacturing date and the 2 years thereafter.

My question now... I have a '99 and it's past the 10-year production date. I don't have an air bag warning or anything. It goes through the usual diagnostic and the light goes off. So, what then is done at this 10-year period and how much does this maintenance cost? Also, why after this is it then every 2-years? I presume they are only testing and not actually replacing anything?

Best....
Old 03-16-09, 07:51 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess we need to check the safety of airbags. It's like 10yrs interval. But if srs airbag sign flashing when driving or the ignition key on acc or on position, the light doesnot come on, remains or flashes. Lights stays mean driver and front passenger airbags fail. If the light flashes means side airbags and or seat belt pretensioners fail.
Old 03-17-09, 04:58 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default So what is part of it?

Originally Posted by gazi001
I guess we need to check the safety of airbags. It's like 10yrs interval. But if srs airbag sign flashing when driving or the ignition key on acc or on position, the light doesnot come on, remains or flashes. Lights stays mean driver and front passenger airbags fail. If the light flashes means side airbags and or seat belt pretensioners fail.
That was my point, that the system cycles through and no lights stay on, so isn't the system then telling me that all checks are go and good? If so, then what is being done at the dealership and how much does it cost? I can always ask the dealer, but they'll just want me to go in and I'll get hit with $$$ for checking. Maybe I'll be surprised and it's only $50.
Old 03-17-09, 06:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

"Maybe I'll be surprised and it's only $50" hahahaha,now that,is funny!!
Old 03-17-09, 08:50 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Unhappy Just to park

Originally Posted by lexus114
"Maybe I'll be surprised and it's only $50" hahahaha,now that,is funny!!
yeah, $50 to have the pleasure of pulling up to their parking lot.

I just called two dealerships where I live, the service techs had no idea what that was for, but they said if I was concerned, I could bring it in and they'll "check it out." My only thing now is, if they have no idea what the maintenance is, then what are they going to check? See that the airbag light goes out? $50 please...

It does concern me though that there is this "advisory" on the sunshade, yet two Lexus dealers don't know about it. Knock on wood, I don't plan on ever finding out if the airbag works or not...
Old 03-17-09, 09:04 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats right. You pay $50 for parking in their lot.
Old 03-17-09, 12:16 PM
mikeburnet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

means nothing at all. srs 10 yr inspection is the same for hondas as well. unless there is an srs light on then the system is communicating with all components and should work as designed. some people are intent on taking it in, which in turn we will hook to the HDS and check for any stored current or history codes. fee is $80
Old 03-17-09, 12:53 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
yeah, $50 to have the pleasure of pulling up to their parking lot.

I just called two dealerships where I live, the service techs had no idea what that was for, but they said if I was concerned, I could bring it in and they'll "check it out." My only thing now is, if they have no idea what the maintenance is, then what are they going to check? See that the airbag light goes out? $50 please...

It does concern me though that there is this "advisory" on the sunshade, yet two Lexus dealers don't know about it. Knock on wood, I don't plan on ever finding out if the airbag works or not...
do you go to lexus of edison?? off of route 1?
Old 03-17-09, 01:11 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeburnet
means nothing at all. srs 10 yr inspection is the same for hondas as well. unless there is an srs light on then the system is communicating with all components and should work as designed. some people are intent on taking it in, which in turn we will hook to the HDS and check for any stored current or history codes. fee is $80
I've read somewhere NHTSA blew up the first working airbag engineering system that GM and either Eaton or Morton developed after 15 or so years and it still deployed properly.

I wouldn't fret - the airbag inflator is sealed and the propellant - sodium azide and potassium nitrate are safely contained in there.
Old 03-17-09, 05:25 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

I am going to make an educated guess ..

The test/verification can not be destructive ... cant deploy the bag to see if it was in working order

The shop will verify the the warning lights work properly. [A good majority of drivers don't pay attention to the warning lamps].

I seriously doubt that the shop will open each bag cover to visually inspect the bag.

Salim
Old 03-17-09, 06:02 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Have we met?

do you go to lexus of edison?? off of route 1?
have we met ?!?!? How did you know?

I use to go to Warnock up in Livingston (they moved a mile or so down the road now to the next town), but since Edison opened, it's been easier to get to and a little closer.

Why, you know someone there? The two I called were Edison and Warnock.
Old 03-18-09, 06:43 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

have we met ?!?!? How did you know?

I use to go to Warnock up in Livingston (they moved a mile or so down the road now to the next town), but since Edison opened, it's been easier to get to and a little closer.

Why, you know someone there? The two I called were Edison and Warnock.
hahaha,no i dont know you my friend.i just saw the area your in and figured that might be where you go.i am eyeng up a 2004 rx they have on ebay over their.
Old 03-18-09, 06:40 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Rx

hahaha,no i dont know you my friend.i just saw the area your in and figured that might be where you go.i am eyeng up a 2004 rx they have on ebay over their.
Really? Have you seen the vehicle in person yet? Where in PA do you live? If you need someone to go "prelook" at the vehicle, drop me a PM and I'll go take some pictures and see how it is.
Old 03-19-09, 06:26 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Really? Have you seen the vehicle in person yet? Where in PA do you live? If you need someone to go "prelook" at the vehicle, drop me a PM and I'll go take some pictures and see how it is.
hey thanks,i really appreciate that!!. i live west of easton,pa.honestly,i think i`m going to hold on to my old girl for a little while yet.she just runs to good. (now watch my trans.go out tonight!! )
Old 03-19-09, 12:03 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Same here... knock on wood that it runs to 200k with no issues. 115 thus far and okay with no apparent issues.

Quick Reply: 10-Year Airbag Maintenance