RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Used Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 05:30 AM
buckeye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Struts?

First and foremost, a big Thank You to all of you. The information on this forum is nothing short completely amazing .. and I for one am extremely grateful.

As for my question .. I've got a 99 RX300 (2WD) with just sky of 150K .. plan on keeping it as long as it will have me. Ride is getting pretty bumpy, and certainly "creaks" over bumps. I've tackled plenty of DIYs on both it, my wife's GX. I'd like to replace the struts - and save some cash as well. I'd rather not buy new, unless this adventure doesn't work....

I called some local junk yards and found a set of used front strut assemblies (the entire package) for $150. Trying to get the rears as well. I'm going today to take a look - dealer claims car has 51K miles. I'd like to use the best from my existing struts and the new (used) - also using the hose idea to improve ride and longevity.

Any thoughts on this - as well as what to perhaps look out for?

Thanks again!
Old 03-18-09, 06:21 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Worth a try, but most of the time the noises are from the Upper Strut mounts....items 11,12,14

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 03-18-09, 06:42 AM
buckeye
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Thomas - I assumed that's where the noise was coming from as well. Worst case - I'd replace these with new products.

More concerned about the ride as of late. Not a "roller coaster" type ride yet, but definately not as firm as 100K miles ago. Perhaps the less-old struts may help.

I searched online for new parts .. as a plan B. In doing so, I noticed that the KYB GR-2s are best priced on eBay when bought as part of a set (either set of fronts/rears or all 4). Individual pieces however, are a mixed bag depending on shipping. I looked at all of the advice from our forums, and found Rockauto.com to be most comprehensive as far as information and overall value - but it looked like Summitracing.com was priced better (with the backorders to prove it).

Not to change the subject of my original post, nor to solicit advertising from anyone - but of these three, which is more reliable and worthwhile (eBay, Rockauto or Summit)?

Thanks again .. very much appreciated!
Old 03-18-09, 08:45 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

If you're diligent, you can find these struts new on the web for $100 each. Given the labor involved and the risk of junkyard parts, I'd spend the extra $50 and get new struts with a warranty. The creaking noises more frequently come from the mounts/mount bearings - they are about another $50-$60 each. But I definitely wouldn't put used strut mounts on a car.

It sounds like you're going to do the work yourself, so you won't have to pay for labor, but you don't want to do it twice (?!)
Old 03-18-09, 12:06 PM
buckeye
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Keith.

True .. in fact I did find the GR-2s for just shy of $100 each on the net - and will go that route if this diabolical scheme of mine doesn't pan out. But:

- The $150 option included the entire strut assembly for both the L/R front (mounts, boots, struts, springs .. the whole enchilada (twice).
- The Used Car Parts shop I bought from offers me a 30 day warrantee on the parts as well. If they don't work - I can remove and return.

So really, all I'm out is the time, and some sweat - which isn't entirely terrible.

On a side note - I'll be using LexMex's tubing solution on the bottom of the spring. Went to The Home Depot to investigate my options. You can buy 10 ft of (5/8" i.d. ; 7/8" o.d.) clear vinyl braided tubing for about $18 (its in the plumbing / irrigation aisle). A very viable solution I'm sure - but I wanted to look for an alternative to the clear plastic tubing. I found that a pre-packaged Rubber Discharge Hose may just do the trick .. and more inexpensively I might add (6 foot package was $6 at Home Depot). And .. its black. I'll buy this again when I do the rear struts.
Old 03-18-09, 03:52 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The problem with your approach is that in order to install the LexMex tubing you will need to rent/borrow/steal a spring compressor, then remove and reinstall the springs. Greatly complicates what could be an easy install if in fact the strut assemblies you are buying are complete, intact, and in good condition.
Old 03-18-09, 07:43 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi buckeye , It's not a good idea to install used struts. Think twice for comfort.
Old 03-19-09, 04:50 AM
buckeye
Driver School Candidate

As for the tools - certainly a must! Over time, I've used my home improvement projects as an excuse to build my toolbox. Although I work for somewhat a competitor, I've found myself at Harbor Freight quite a bit (shhh don't tell). They have a several spring compressor sets - one of which is identical to the set Lexmex used in his example for about $10. That, a good air compressor and some deep impact sockets (metric and SAE), breaker bars ... and of course some tubing ... and I'm ready to go. More than comfort - in my opinion - is safety, so I'll be sure to be careful.

I may not have been clear before - so I'll try better this time:

- I've purchased a complete set of front struts (entire assembly . .soup to nuts)
- For each side, I'll be using the best parts from both my exisiting strut assembly, and the purchased assembly to eventually have 1 optimum set .. and one junk set. The optimum set will get installed - the junk set, well - I may keep my eye out for a bargain on pieces and build an even better set with new parts.

For $150 I get a complete set of struts that have 90,000 mile LESS than my existing set. I figure its worth a try. And I'll get to play with my tools some more too.

Another side note (sorry): One of the DIY threads was a solution to our door actuator problem. I found a different solution to that as well .. found it about 6 months ago on another forum site (different model too). If anyone is interested, I'll post a thread and a link about it. Basically - remove the plastic door actuator assembly from the door, and (VERY) carefully open it up. I used a utility knife to cut the existing seams so as to separate the top from the bottom. Inside, you'll see the culprit - its actually a hobby motor. You can buy 5 brand new hobby motors for $5 on eBay made by the same manufacturor as ours in the door actuator. Once replaced (I also used a cotton swap to clean the inside and applied dilectic grease for lubrication and better contact), put the assembly back together - use some plastic epoxy to seal it shut .. and PRESTO - working door. Thought I'd mention it.

Anyhow - on to the struts
Old 03-19-09, 05:10 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

A spring compressor for $10? Recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

Please post a thread and link re: your door lock actuator solution.
Old 03-19-09, 06:05 AM
buckeye
Driver School Candidate

Sure thing ..

First, here's the spring compressor: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...do?itemid=3980

Next, here's the actuator link:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...placement.html
Old 03-19-09, 06:23 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Those spring compressors work fine, just be careful to tighten them equally when doing compressing the spring, and dont use an air tool...for tightening, too fast and the spring may pop on you. I have used those many times (8) and had no problem.