RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Check Engine Light :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09, 10:23 PM
jishan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light :(

Hey guys i got a weird problem with my car... Its a long story so bare with me lol. One day i was driving and all of a sudden my Check Engine Light comes on. I don't know the reason but there are many variables. I don't know any place who checks the code from the diagnostics anywhere in Toronto, Canada (for cheap or free) if anyone knows please tell me. I had to change my battery because it was getting old and it wouldn't start my car(longer story) and after I reinstalled my new battery the light went off. It was like the best thing that happened to this car. Unfortunately after a long drive in the highway 401 it went on again. My car is acting kind of funny, the transmission is fine other than the transmission lag most Rx300 owners have... But its transmitting on the right time but when i am stopped at the light my rpm is kind of high around 1000 RPM usually it used to stay at 500 when i am at D(drive)...Previously i had another problem with my car jerking and the rpm going up and down while i was in D and in a stop light but that somehow got fixed... I don't know what could be the problem can someone please direct me to the right direction. I heard i have to clean my MAF do you think that might help?

Thanks guys I can always rely on the users of CL for good advice
Old 03-20-09, 10:26 PM
jishan
Driver School Candidate

O i forgot to mention i had to get my rear exhaust manifold re soldered because it had cracks on it. Do you think that could be the reason too? The mechanic said its better if he just re soldered it instead of buying a new rear exhaust manifold :S. Do you think that was wise?
Old 03-21-09, 12:26 AM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the states we have Autozone where we can get free scans or rent for free the scanner. Do you have Autozone up there? Any other auto stores that have that? I would call and ask from yellow pages or Google; finding out the specific codes numbers is the first step.

It's not recommended to drive extended on the check engine light too, since you do not have a scanner you can disconnect your battery for fifteen minutes thus resetting the codes.

Also clean out your MAF sensor; and your intake filter too. The staggering leads me to believe it is something to do with A/F, could be also an A/F heater sensor like mine but I did not have any staggering/kicking only loss of power or maybe he did not properly weld your exhaust manifold. Are you sure no leaks?

Originally Posted by Lexmexico
mass air flow sensor- Take the the MAF just behind where the air box is. See if the thin piece of wire is covered in black. On one side you should be able to see red. Carefully clean this with brake dust cleaner or carburator cleaner as others have mentioned (I have found no difference). It should be red when done. Then take out the EFI fuse in the fuse box, I believe it is yellow, but is definitely fuse no. #13. Do this with the engine off and the key out of the ignition. Hold the fuse out for about 30 seconds and then reinsert. This will blank the transmission memory and erase the check engine light. Car drives really nice afterward.
Good thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ted-print.html

Best of luck and let us know if you find the specific codes #'s
Old 03-21-09, 06:44 AM
vanguy
Rookie

I would just buy a OBE II code reader like an Actron. It cost around $60 on Amazon or ask a friend that might have one already. Once you get the code, you can check on this site or Google it to find out what it means. There are many DIY instructions of some of the more common problem like cleaning MAF sensors.
Old 03-21-09, 08:05 AM
jishan
Driver School Candidate

hey guys thanks for the response I found a place that does free diagnostics at aamco. I will get this checked out and reply with the codes hopefully. Lets just pray I just have to fix my MAF and be done with.
Old 03-21-09, 04:02 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jishan
hey guys thanks for the response I found a place that does free diagnostics at aamco. I will get this checked out and reply with the codes hopefully. Lets just pray I just have to fix my MAF and be done with.
Jishan- good that you found that Ammco would do it for free, but I don't think I would have them do any work. Sorry, but more people have been sc@#wed by brake and oil change places pretending to be real mechanics than you could ever shake a stick at! Good Luck!
Old 03-21-09, 04:59 PM
vanguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by code58
Jishan- good that you found that Ammco would do it for free, but I don't think I would have them do any work. Sorry, but more people have been sc@#wed by brake and oil change places pretending to be real mechanics than you could ever shake a stick at! Good Luck!
I agree, these companies do nothing for free. They are going to tell you that you need to replace this and that and the real cause could just be a loose gas cap. Buy the OBD reader and you can be sure that you are not being ripped.
Old 03-21-09, 05:59 PM
jishan
Driver School Candidate

hey guys thanks for the advice. I was planing to go there and just get it checked I would never let them fix anything lol. I have a good mechanic that does my car repairs but the only problem is he doesn't have a OBD reader. That is why i want to go to AMMCO but do you think the free diagnostics is a scam? because i don't want them to make me fix it there. Will they let me go after the diagnostics?
Old 03-21-09, 07:03 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys thanks for the advice. I was planing to go there and just get it checked I would never let them fix anything lol. I have a good mechanic that does my car repairs but the only problem is he doesn't have a OBD reader. That is why i want to go to AMMCO but do you think the free diagnostics is a scam? because i don't want them to make me fix it there. Will they let me go after the diagnostics?
They should be able to let you go, or else you can report them for false advertising. Anyways your mechanic does not have a code scanner? He should really get one if he wants any business.
Old 03-22-09, 12:24 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowmix52
They should be able to let you go, or else you can report them for false advertising. Anyways your mechanic does not have a code scanner? He should really get one if he wants any business.
Jishan- I agree with meowmix. I personally don't see how he operates without a scanner. I have a scanner (an AutoXray 6000- a $700. scanner and I don't have a shop and am retired (just don't draw a paycheck anymore)) LOL I would agree about getting a scanner. A usable one can be had so cheap now and with so much help on forums and on online OBD sites, it's worth it even if you don't do your own work, just to keep the mechanic honest. I would let AMMCO do the free code check, but use it as a guide, I wouldn't put 100% trust in it. Education is freedom, you have control rather than trusting what someone says that may not have the pure intentions that you do. Sad but true.
Old 03-22-09, 07:57 AM
vanguy
Rookie

A "mechanic" without an OBD reader is like a carpenter without a saw or hammer. Unless he specializes in antique cars, something is amiss here.
Old 03-23-09, 09:34 PM
jishan
Driver School Candidate

hey guys sorry for the late response but i got the code its P0171... from the looks of it its a famous code in the RX300 world lol. Well the mechanic did have the scanner so i didn't need to go to AMMCO(thank god), I told him right away when I heard P0171 to check the MAF n clean it he insisted that its something else and not the MAF...So he said something about a leak in the exuast system in Bank 1 or Bank 2 ( i forgot) well it was after the engine area. He found a problem saying that the donut bushing or something that connects the catholic converter got to old and was creating leaks. So he changed that for 75$... The light seemed to have gone away and did not return from a whole day of driving in the highway and local road. But do you guys think i should still get that MAF cleaned up or was the mechanic right? :S Or should I just wait and see if it returns. And plus a strange thing happend after he fixed everything the brake lights got fused and after driving around the city at the end of the day my car would not change gear from Park so the shifter is stuck in Park... I had to do the manual shift thing. Is this because of the brake lights?

thanks guys for your quick replies
Old 03-24-09, 01:19 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

hey guys sorry for the late response but i got the code its P0171... from the looks of it its a famous code in the RX300 world lol. Well the mechanic did have the scanner so i didn't need to go to AMMCO(thank god), I told him right away when I heard P0171 to check the MAF n clean it he insisted that its something else and not the MAF...So he said something about a leak in the exuast system in Bank 1 or Bank 2 ( i forgot) well it was after the engine area. He found a problem saying that the donut bushing or something that connects the catholic converter got to old and was creating leaks. So he changed that for 75$... The light seemed to have gone away and did not return from a whole day of driving in the highway and local road. But do you guys think i should still get that MAF cleaned up or was the mechanic right? :S Or should I just wait and see if it returns. And plus a strange thing happend after he fixed everything the brake lights got fused and after driving around the city at the end of the day my car would not change gear from Park so the shifter is stuck in Park... I had to do the manual shift thing. Is this because of the brake lights?

thanks guys for your quick replies
Probably. I would check the brake lights first to see if they work. If they don't, check the fuse. If that is OK then check the brake switch, with a DVM set on continuity. You'll need to unplug it for that check. Good luck!
Old 03-24-09, 07:54 AM
jishan
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the tips code58 I will try fixing it today. And what about the error code P0171? do you think i should just leave the MAF until the check engine light comes on again?
Old 03-25-09, 01:37 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

thanks for the tips code58 I will try fixing it today. And what about the error code P0171? do you think i should just leave the MAF until the check engine light comes on again?
Jishan- I'm not a betting man but if I were I'd bet the light comes back on. It takes a few pending codes before it set a CEL. I would just wait and see what happens, but if it comes back on it is easy to clean. Just use electronic cleaner, but be very careful with it, it is very fragile. Just spray it clean, don't use any thing to actually contact it. You realize the P0171 is lean on bank 1 which is the rear bank. Are you sure there are no vacuum lines loose? I would check very carefully for vacuum leaks on the rear bank.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light :(