RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

ABS Sensor problem?? - 99 RX300 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 04:11 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

If you are a diy guy the axle can be had for less than $100, however the labor is the challenge. I have replaced my left drive axle. (not for ABS) And it does come with the sensor ring.
Old 04-12-09, 09:54 AM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a tooth in the sensor ring break off...my symptoms were similar, abs engaging at slow speeds when braking. the sensors were ok, the ring was not... i remember the day it broke.. i drove it several weeks that way. i was told you can disengage the abs if you want and drive it without. i decided that the abs was desirable and opted to repair the problem.

and yep had to replace the whole axle on the right rear. had the dealer do it ( i am a tool & die maker but not a car repairperson, lol) it cost about $900. my rx300 is a 2003.
Old 04-12-09, 01:14 PM
salimshah

Received 1,053 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by andres-eh2
The car in question is actually mine. And the issue is really odd. Almost hard to explain but let me give it another shot.

Let say im about to pull into a parking spot and turn the wheel all the way to the lock position, i get feedback from the brake pedal and it feels like the ABS kicking in. The ABS light does not flash and the ABS doesnt kick in otherwise unless it's actually doing its job.

I think im going to replace the sensor and take it from there. What else could it be?
Nothing to do with brakes directly, but at the full turn ... lock position ... your steering pump goes somewhat berserk as it develops full pressure and relief valves get into action. This may influence the engine load and also the vacuum.

A similar condition happens when the a/c compressor kicks in and out and you feel it in the brake pedal.

Salim
Old 08-16-13, 09:45 AM
NEORX30GUY
Driver School Candidate

I'm not an expert on ABS but I find it hard to believe the ring would go bad, most things that work like this pick up via inductance a pulse from the teeth on the ring, that's how the ABS would calculate wheel motion... We will see I have an ABS light on right now on my RX...
Old 08-16-13, 07:02 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

They break way too easy on this car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tone-ring.html
Old 08-17-13, 09:16 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing that I have noticed is that everyone with the broken ring complained about ABS activation (pulses in pedal). NEORX30GUY is just complaining about his ABS light being on. He may get lucky and have a different issue.
Old 08-19-13, 10:06 PM
metah2004
Driver School Candidate

your rear sensors has rust build up causing the ABS sensor to be back out a little bit you need to remove the censor and clean the rust and reinstall and you will be good to go
Old 08-19-13, 10:07 PM
metah2004
Driver School Candidate

Also the tone ring I rear being cracked will give you same problem
Old 08-26-13, 04:04 PM
NEORX30GUY
Driver School Candidate

Angry ABS Light on...2.0

Well I haven't gotten to trouble shooting my ABS light, I appreciate all the input I just did the front brakes with new rotor's they were worn..Unrelated to ABS light...

Current setback..I got hit head-on & RX may be totaled...Not because of the damage but because of cost....If totaled I will probably buy it back from INS & do most of the repairs myself...

The RX is one rugged SUV...I fared much better than the Chevy Lumina that hit me...Just some bumper & minor (to me) headlight damage & transaxle cooling lines...

The Lumina had both airbags go off & the front end got creamed.. It was towed, I drove away!
Old 08-26-13, 05:22 PM
salimshah

Received 1,053 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by NEORX30GUY
Well I haven't gotten to trouble shooting my ABS light, I appreciate all the input I just did the front brakes with new rotor's they were worn..Unrelated to ABS light...

Current setback..I got hit head-on & RX may be totaled...Not because of the damage but because of cost....If totaled I will probably buy it back from INS & do most of the repairs myself...

The RX is one rugged SUV...I fared much better than the Chevy Lumina that hit me...Just some bumper & minor (to me) headlight damage & transaxle cooling lines...

The Lumina had both airbags go off & the front end got creamed.. It was towed, I drove away!

There is the ring, sensor and wires. Any unintended action (mistake) can lead to ABS failure.

I hope no one got hurt during the accident.

Salim
Old 12-05-13, 09:12 AM
syracuse
Driver School Candidate

Default if ABS ring's is broken will those simptoms will be constant or time to time?

Originally Posted by mikey00
It's almost always the sensor ring that's bad. Which, unfortunately, is part of the axle.
Looks like i have similar problem but it not happens all the time i press the brake.
As I guess if ring is broken something like this may happens all the time, and if sensor is malfunction it maybe (i hope) more like sensor problem.

What do you think?

I will make appointment with dealer and will see what they say.
As always fear that mechanic will way it more to repair then it really needed.
relapse ring for 1000$ ++ and then you need to relapse sensors too.

Maybe I just meet bad mechanics like in PepBoys, but last time in local Lexus dealership with new manager it were soud like "pepboys" not Lexus.

Thank you for help.