RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

soon to be RX300 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-02, 06:27 PM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking soon to be RX300 owner

Hello everyone,

My blue vapor nav package should be at the dock today, hopefully will be at the dealer by monday. Can't wait. Just a couple of questions. I asked my salesman what options can be programmed with CBEST, but he had no clue. Can someone tell me what options can be programmed? Also, can someone tell me how to disabled the daytime running lights? I remember reading somewhere that it's only a matter of unplugging a certain relay. Any info much appreciated.
Old 03-14-02, 07:20 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Excellent choice!!

Congratulations andye39s!!
on becoming an owner of the BEST SUV ON THE PLANET - the ultimate personal go-anywhere transportation module with a rugged flair and an unbeatable combination of fun, practicality, utility, performance and luxury!!!!!!!!.....Yes!, there's nothing like it out there and you'll be having nothing but fun with it!!

While you're having a ton of fun with your zippy little fun machine, drivers of other SUVs (such as the Acura MDX also known as a widebody trailer ) will be stressing out trying to control their vehicle

While you're having a ton of fun with your zippy little fun machine on a curvy, winding and narrow mountain twisty, the driver of the MDX....oops, I mean widebody trailer...., will be stressing out trying to keep his vehicle from going over the side

While you're having a ton of fun with your zippy little fun machine parked in a nifty little compact parking spot, finished with all your shopping, you'll be surprised to see the driver of the widebody trailer......you know who I mean .....still circling around and around trying to find a spot that will accomodate his monstrosity

And Finally.....while you're having a ton of fun with your zippy little fun machine, drving along that narrow winding trail that took you to that "oh so special" secluded spot out in the wilderness to look at nature's beauty, you'll be surprised to see the driver of the widebody trailer driving an RX 300!!!!......Yes, he ended up renting an RX 300, because his rig was too wide to get in there

Good luck and have fun with your new toy!!!!!

Last edited by vicpai; 03-14-02 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-14-02, 09:17 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Congratulations on your purchase andye39s. You're not the only vapor blue in the club. I don't have the full list of the c-best on this computer, or I would upload it for you...sorry. A few of the settings include:

1. unlock chime - loudness, or not at all
2. when the auto headlights turn on
3. how long b/f the auto headlights turn off after you've shut your car off
4. one click of the remote for driver's door, and two for the rest. Or just one click for all of them.

There are many others.

If you don't want your DRL's, look under the hood - right behind the radiator - and there is a small box holding the DRL fuses. Take 'em out.

-Nick
Old 03-15-02, 07:29 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default DRLs

On my 01 RX...

The DRL voltage reducing resister is under, mounted on, the plate supporting the battery. You'll have to remove the battery to unplug it.

I personally think DRLs add a measure of safety for all of us and I wouldn't be telling you this but the Lexus DRL circuit is leading to bulb failures so....
Old 03-15-02, 09:14 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Truth

Truth, Justice, and the American way...

Does the truth really HURT that much?

"The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection"

now...

"The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection"

Even Lexus "admits" that perfection is something to be striven for, but never achieved. You cannot move forward with new ideas and new technology without "stumbling" once in awhile.

A well run company with these announced aspirations of "Perfection" simply acknowledges their mistakes, fixes them, and then goes forward to the next "trial".

Last edited by wwest; 03-15-02 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-15-02, 01:24 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

Default Re: Truth

What car company embodies the last statement you made?

Originally posted by wwest
Truth, Justice, and the American way...

Does the truth really HURT that much?

"The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection"

now...

"The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection"

Even Lexus "admits" that perfection is something to be striven for, but never achieved. You cannot move forward with new ideas and new technology without "stumbling" once in awhile.

A well run company with these announced aspirations of "Perfection" simply acknowledges their mistakes, fixes them, and then goes forward to the next "trial".
Old 03-15-02, 03:48 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Talking

Seems to me definitely NOT Lexus...
Old 03-16-02, 07:39 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

willard since you never have anything good to say about lexus why don't you get rid of yours and go back to your rocking chair you old fart
Old 03-16-02, 08:48 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Hey I have a Vapor Blue RX too... I hate it... It is my third RX and I hated them all.. ***** I hate Lexus.... That's why I'm getting another one, because they suck... That's the reason why I have had Lexus's for the last 4yrs. and will continue to buy Lexus cars.. Who agrees???
Old 03-17-02, 02:06 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

LoL i wish i can say the same... but this is my only lexus hehe, if i had the money then yes, i woudl get another lexus =P, trying to get my sis to trade in her car for a is300 heheh... would be sweet.. but yea...

I upgraded from a 91 camry... which was cool until someone wreck it so now i get a lexus =) and i love it even tho theres all the little flaws... if i can i woudn't mind another lexus in the future...
Old 03-17-02, 06:02 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info guys.

I was actually deciding between the X5 and the RX300. The X5, especially the 3.0, is selling like hotcakes. My salesman did not have a production for me until May, for June delivery. It so happened that two became available last week, so he gave me first crack at them. Between me and my friend we bought 7 cars from him in the past 4 years; my friend will be picking up his X5 3.0 next week. Most dealerships around here will not discount much (if any) on 3.0s, but since we've been long customers of his we were able to get close to $2k off. BMW slashed dealer profit margin across the board. Although sticker prices remain the same for the most part, dealer invoice went up. Very slick. On a typically equipped X5, there's about a $4000 margin.

Anyway, one of the two 3.0s that became available arrived so I took it out for a spin. Shockingly about 2/3 or the problems that I read about were all present in that particular car, plus a thing or two I haven't read about! That car had the new for 02 adjustable ride height which seemed to have a mind of its own. So I told him I'll pass on this car. I called my guy twos days later about the other car, and he told me both cars were already sold and delivered. I thought to myself it was better off. How pathetic is it that three years into production and they still couldn't iron out these problems, at least some.

In driving experience, performanc wise, the RX300 is no comparison, even with a non-sport equipped X5. But everything else the Lexus has it beat hands down -- comfort, reliability (yes I've read about the sludge), smoothness and quietness. Oh, the nav on the Lexus is LIGHTYEARS more advanced than the BMW. I have it in my 01 540i6, works well to me for the most part. I didn't originally plan on getting the nav since I have it in my 540, but once I saw the Lexus system in action, I was sold. A quick example is how fast the Lexus nav redraws the screen when changing scale. In my 540, to change scale from say 800ft to say 1 mile, it takes about *20 seconds*, and even longer at higher scale (BTW I have the latest OS update on my nav). In the Lexus it was almost instaneous. The only bad thing about the Lexus nav is getting finger prints all over the screen. Any tips about that?

Thanks for listening. One more question. Does the RX300 take regular or premium fuel?
Old 03-17-02, 09:01 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The recommended fuel for the RX is premium. That's what I always use.

-Nick
Old 03-17-02, 09:06 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

I always try to use Ultra 94... I feel I gives me A little extra boost. But I think that's all in my head....
Old 03-17-02, 03:18 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

ya i use premium also... just that feeling of yes!!! i'm using premium... even tho expensive... gotta feed my car some good stuff =)
Old 03-18-02, 10:26 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

Well he did trade one Rx300 for another RX300, so....... dunno.

I personally think he should have just had the optional viscous limited slip differential installed into the older one.

Originally posted by hleo1
Seems to me definitely NOT Lexus...