RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

90,000 mile service - overdue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 05:40 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90,000 mile service - overdue

Hey guys, so the 90,000 mile service has now become a 101K mile service and I really need to get to it. Since it's almost there, I will also do the plugs. This is what I have planned, please let me know if you think I'm forgetting something, since I'll have half of the engine out anyways

Timing belt
Water pump
Drive belts
Cabin filter
Spark plugs (Denso SK20R11)
Engine air filter
Brembo vented rotors and Akebono pads(front)
I usually do transmission fluid changes with the third oil change. Should I worry about replacing other fluids? (t-case, brake, coolant, power steering?)

How about thermostat and fuel filter?

Thank you y'all
Old 04-21-09, 06:47 PM
salimshah

Received 1,097 Likes on 987 Posts

Some of the stuff you list are not needed like waterpump.
Some items you list should depend on wear like brake pads & water-pump.
Some items depend on prior service history like transmission fluid.

I would call the dealership for a list of recommended service items. Also look at prior history to figure out what needs to be done.

Salim
Old 04-21-09, 07:14 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Hope you didn't leave the oil and filter for the extra 11,000 miles
Old 04-21-09, 10:18 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

I wouldnt bother with the fuel filter, and I doubt if you need to do the thermostat. Suggest Toyota Red antifreeze is quite expensive but it will last for at least three to five years.
Old 04-21-09, 11:00 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
I wouldnt bother with the fuel filter, and I doubt if you need to do the thermostat. Suggest Toyota Red antifreeze is quite expensive but it will last for at least three to five years.
Hi Thomas- I am curious as to whether you or anyone else has ever actually had the red antifreeze "tested". The reason I asked is because when I did all the work on my DIL's RX at 97k mi. I changed the coolant. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance and usually changed the regular (green) Ethylene Glycol every 2 years. The original red coolant that was in the DIL's 99RX was absolutely like new at 97k mi. and 8 yrs. (was built in June, '98, that is even the date cast onto the W/P that I just changed 2 mo. ago) There was not the faintest trace of sediment even. When I replaced the W/P the inside & outside looked new! I have pictures to prove it. I was so impressed with the red coolant I replaced the ELL pink in my wifes '02 Camry at 3 yrs with the red and have it waiting to put in my F-150 when I change that.
Old 04-22-09, 03:06 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gomer1
Should I worry about replacing other fluids? (t-case, brake, coolant, power steering?)
I think you should have been changing the brake fluid every two years. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air. Some auto makers say every year, but that is probably overkill. Lexus recommends changing every two years.

It's not as clear with coolant because you have the Toyota Red (what it came with) and the Toyota Pink (premixed, long-life). Testing only checks freeze-level, not the retention of anti-corrosion and other additives. I'd say 2-3 year intervals on the Toyota Red, and I don't know if you have used Toyota Pink in the past.

I'd do the power steering fluid (which uses ATF, not power steering fluid) when the color gets dark. Mine got dark pretty early in its life.
Old 04-22-09, 06:42 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

No Code58 I have never tested any product. Just seems everyone says it is the best for Toyota products...I rely on friends like you for that kind of knowledge. As for testing I do have a kit for testing its cooling ability, but I think that just is for boiling and freezing.
Old 04-22-09, 07:03 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I`m going to run my TB,and Plugs to 120,000 miles before I change them out.
Old 04-29-09, 03:55 PM
POMAHTuKRX
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys!
On the same topic ::
1. why don't need replace water pump? usually when you replace t-belt you replace water pump?
2. if anyone does transmission flush when they replace transmission oil; or is it a good idea at all?
3. whats the average price for replacing t-belt? I was quoted $300 in house job.

thanks a lot
Old 04-29-09, 07:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by POMAHTuKRX
Hey Guys!
On the same topic ::
1. why don't need replace water pump? usually when you replace t-belt you replace water pump?
2. if anyone does transmission flush when they replace transmission oil; or is it a good idea at all?
3. whats the average price for replacing t-belt? I was quoted $300 in house job.

thanks a lot
Welcome to the Club.

1. You don't have to, the water pump can run longer. It really is going to depend if you plan on keeping your vehicle a long time or not. I went ahead and did it at the same time.

2. You really don't need a transmission flush. There is only one time that I did this and I had a lot of silvery/pinkish material in the fluid and I had it flushed at that time, because I felt that drain and fill wouldn't get this stuff out quick enough and I was just visiting the U.S. at the time from Mexico (actually was in Florida).

3. $300 is not a bad price, it just depends on the place you go to. Of course you also want the accessory belts changed out at the same time, too.
Old 04-30-09, 03:42 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though the water pump can be considered as "not needed" you can save on the labor costs by changing it with the timing belt. I flushed my transmission and changed the transmission filter after, I was told that if the filter was changed with a aftermarket "paper filter" instead of the metal screen filter that the flush could do more damage than good, i.e. the filter will desintigrate. And $300 is a good price. I had a mechanic around the corner from me do the same job for $200.
Old 05-01-09, 12:37 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
No Code58 I have never tested any product. Just seems everyone says it is the best for Toyota products...I rely on friends like you for that kind of knowledge. As for testing I do have a kit for testing its cooling ability, but I think that just is for boiling and freezing.
Thomas- Yeh, the testing I was referring to is the strip testing. I have never personally done it because until recent time, anti-freeze was too cheap. From what I understand from the diesel guys that I worked with, as well as the rep from the coolant reprocessing firm that did our reconditioning, they NEVER change the coolant in diesel trucks (anyone can do anything they want to), they use the test strips and add whatever it is deficient in. It doesn't actually wear out any more than water does, but it loses the anti corrosive additive and whatever additives are add when it is formulated. The nature of coolant is that is corrosive, hence the adding of the anti-corrosive. I always thought that anti-freeze BECAME corrosive, they said not true, corrosive by nature and as long as it is tested and additives replaced as needed, no reason to change it. Cheaper to check (test strips) and add than to change since diesels take a different coolant than regular engines.
Old 06-05-09, 04:47 AM
Gomer1
Driver

So, since I'll be doing the water pump, I'm guessing I will need to add antifreeze (since i don't want to use the one that'll come out). I have no idea what my mechanic has been adding there, probably the cheapest red stuff available. What should I fill it with?

-Thank you
Old 06-05-09, 04:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Gomer1
So, since I'll be doing the water pump, I'm guessing I will need to add antifreeze (since i don't want to use the one that'll come out). I have no idea what my mechanic has been adding there, probably the cheapest red stuff available. What should I fill it with?

-Thank you
Toyota Red Coolant.
Old 06-05-09, 06:52 AM
Gomer1
Driver

Thanks Lexmex. About how much should I buy? I hear this stuff is expensive.

Quick Reply: 90,000 mile service - overdue