RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

'tchk' noise when moving forward after reversing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 02:45 AM
cloud9_63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'tchk' noise when moving forward after reversing

There is a 'tchk' noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when moving forward after reversing for eg. from a parking lot. It is especially loud after extended parking eg. after overnight parking.

Anybody else having this problem?
Old 03-20-02, 02:57 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cloud9: this is known as a problem and there is a service fix for it. Ours does it too, but I decided to let well enough alone and wait for the next model. See your LX dealer for the fix.

How do you like the car overall? We love ours!!

Have you noticed rattly buzzy noises in the upper body on rough roads?

Last edited by parula; 09-30-03 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-21-02, 02:09 PM
cloud9_63
Driver School Candidate

Bob: Thks. The door trim on the driver is rattling occasionally. The dealer decided to change the whole door trim. Apart than this the caar is quiet, oh except the 'tchk' noise and the strut 'thud' sound.

Does the service guy say what is causing the 'tchk' sound?

Does your door lock mechanism does a 'whirrling' sound when you do a central lock at the driver side?
Old 03-21-02, 03:42 PM
parula
Instructor

Cloud9: apparently the problem may be just the pads shifting in the brake assembly as one moves from reverse to forward. I do not have the problem from forward to reverse, oddly. The fix is some different grease and/or some clamps.

Like I said I decided to live with this problem and get other rattly noises in the car body fixed up as this does not appear to be serious and I don't go into reverse much! Since mine still does it this must mean that the dealer hasn't been monitoring the corrections to the vehicle and fixed the problem on their own, so you will need to request the fix I guess.

My door trim rattles a lot too, it is so frustrating, and I had new clips installed last service. I see they seem to have dropped the side skirts from the new ES line, draw your own conclusions.

I have not noticed the whirring noise in the locks but will listen for it and post if I hear it.

Last edited by parula; 09-30-03 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-21-02, 06:19 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Are the brakes the 'tchk' sound you guys are talking about. I have noticed that mine do that, when I go into reverse that making a noise and then again when I go into drive (and apply the breaks). It's as if they are shifting. Doesn't sound normal...too loud.

-Nick
Old 03-23-02, 05:34 AM
parula
Instructor

Nick, it is not normal and there is a tsb for it. They use some differnent grease or something, it's the pads and anormal noise caused by the required brake pad-to-caliper clearances. Conatc me if you need more info.

Last edited by parula; 09-30-03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-23-02, 11:18 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Bob, could you give me more info., I would appreciate it. I'm guessing since it is a TSB I take my RX to the dealer and let them know what the problem is and that it is a TSB.

My Steering wheel is making a whining noise again when I turn it. I can get both done at the same time.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-02, 10:13 AM
rx300
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Can anyone let me know the tsb# too? I have the same problem. Thanks.
Old 04-20-02, 06:27 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LexRX
Are the brakes the 'tchk' sound you guys are talking about. I have noticed that mine do that, when I go into reverse that making a noise and then again when I go into drive (and apply the breaks). It's as if they are shifting. Doesn't sound normal...too loud.

-Nick
In my LS, the "tcsk" sounds more like a "clck" sound and you hear it only when you change car directions, ie from reverse to forward or vice versa, and then apply the brake.

Lexus dealership said that this is "characteristic brake pad movement". In other words, the brake pads have a clearance in fitment with the calipers just enough in size that when it bumps the calipers upon changing direction, the sound is generated.

Of course, since this is a wearable part, Lexus did not replace it and let me live through it as "normal" I don't think so. I bought new Lexus pads and install it myself. Problem fixed. There must have been quite a number of complaints before that the new pads have been revised.
Old 04-25-02, 08:15 PM
Town&Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I think, the grease is about $42(P/N 08887-80609). It's a white grease. Put this grease on the corner of the brake pads, and on the back of the pads. It'll absorb the noise. Next time you have a brake service, ask them to put some on your pads, the noise is normal for Toyota veh.

Last edited by Town&Lexus; 04-29-02 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-28-03, 09:25 AM
parula
Instructor

Even though Lexus had a TSB out on the '99 for this break clop noise, my '03 does it too; I would think they would have fixed it on later models. Appears to just be pads repositioning after forward/reverse/forward motion.

Are others' '02 or 03s experiencing this break pad clop ??
Old 09-28-03, 05:35 PM
destined4
Driver School Candidate

I have the same (clck) noise mentioned in the thread . I brought it up in my 1K miles service with my service writer. When the mechanic test it and heard it, he said it's normal - the brake pads were shifting as it moves forward and reverse, vice versa - nothing to worry about. (?) And that was it and off I go. Since it's not a major problem (I hope) I guess turning up the volume a little is the simple solution for me right now.
Old 09-29-03, 03:52 PM
parula
Instructor

Destined, what car and year? (you might add a signature so we know what you drive.)
Old 09-29-03, 04:10 PM
destined4
Driver School Candidate

Opps. Oh sorry, I knew I forgot to mention something. It's an '04 RX330 Flint Mica w/ NAV.

-LT

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that later.
Old 09-29-03, 04:47 PM
parula
Instructor

dest, no problem, glad to hear you 330's have the same issue!

Quick Reply: 'tchk' noise when moving forward after reversing