RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

car will start but shut off right away...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 01:32 PM
jenntab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car will start but shut off right away...HELP

i have a 2002 RX 300. Sometimes when i start the car...maybe about 2 seconds later the engine shuts off, all the lights and radio stays on. Anyone know what might be wrong? When this does happen, I'll start the car and pump on the gas at the sametime and it'll stay on but i shouldn't have to do that. Please help.
Old 05-06-09, 01:44 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) needs cleaning. You can search on IACV for lots of discussion. Here is one cleaning procedure:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html
Old 05-07-09, 03:23 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's right jenntab you have to clean the IACV.
Old 05-07-09, 01:44 PM
jenntab
Driver School Candidate

thank you. i'm a girl and don't know jack about cars. same thing happened to my cousins car and he also said it was the IACV. he had to get it replaced though and spent $500-600.
Old 05-08-09, 01:08 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jenntab
thank you. i'm a girl and don't know jack about cars. same thing happened to my cousins car and he also said it was the IACV. he had to get it replaced though and spent $500-600.
Where are you in Ca. Jenn? It seldom needs to be replaced, just cleaned. I have one from my DIL's 99RX that I cleaned and it worked fine, but I ended up replacing it because the car was going to WA. state for an extended period because of a medical crisis and I didn't want my DIL to have problems that far from home and being alone. If you lived close I would do it for you gratis. Good Luck in whatever your decision is.

Last edited by code58; 05-11-09 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-10-09, 12:19 AM
rfakinbile
Rookie

If you're interested doing it yourself let's know and we give you the directions. There's a thread with pictures on this forum if you search.
Its a simple process if you're interested.
Old 05-10-09, 12:31 AM
salimshah

Received 1,086 Likes on 977 Posts

She said "don't know jack about cars"

The procedure is simple and straight forward but there are some details which need due consideration.

One needs longer reach and the screws are a pain to undo the first time.

My conclusion is, this is not a job for novice.

Salim
Old 05-16-09, 08:23 AM
anthonyerc
Driver School Candidate

ya my first guess was the O2 sensor...
Old 05-16-09, 10:58 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 319 Likes on 277 Posts

I had this same problem at about 70,000 miles in my 99 RX300. First they replaced the MAF, then the IACV (for a total cost of nearly $1200). When that didn't fix it they said it was the throttle position sensor (which they put in for free when I asked for my $1200 back). That cured the problem and it's been fine since (as far as fuel system is concerned).
Old 05-18-09, 07:19 PM
Monttirw
Driver School Candidate

I Have a 2001 RX300 and I've been having the same problem and was so glad to see your message. I plan to take mine to the dealership armed with this information. I just hated to go in blind. Any idae of the cost to clean it or if folks at Jiffy Lube can do the job correctly? I'm a girl without tools
Old 05-18-09, 07:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Monttirw
I Have a 2001 RX300 and I've been having the same problem and was so glad to see your message. I plan to take mine to the dealership armed with this information. I just hated to go in blind. Any idae of the cost to clean it or if folks at Jiffy Lube can do the job correctly? I'm a girl without tools
Welcome to the Club.

I wouldn't take it to Jiffy Lube to do the IACV, but if you don't want to DIY (and I can understand that as there are a few items I don't touch directly on my own RX300), printing out the IACV clean up thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html and showing it to a mechanic should help. There are not parts involved, just the labor cost of the mechanic, but I don't think when I have done this it takes me any longer than about 15-20 minutes max (faster if I really want to) to do this if I have the right tools, but those screws on the IACV itself are a major pain to take off even for me the first time I did it.
Old 05-18-09, 09:21 PM
salimshah

There is a higher probability that the dealer would replace the item, instead of cleaning it. They certainly dont need the information. If they plan to replace or change the sensor, they should charge you 1/2 hr labor.

I still think, instead of jiffy lube, people should know a mechanic ,,,, just like people need doctors, the vehicle will need to be seen by a mechanic. For me it is DIY or the dealer.

Salim
Old 05-18-09, 11:28 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Monttirw- I make the same offer that I made to Jenntab- if you lived close enough in So. Cal. I would do it for free for you. No, I'm not some devient guy- been married for 47 yrs. tomorrow. I just like to help people who can't help themselves. I would do the same for a guy. The decision is yours, that is if you live in So. Cal.
Old 05-19-09, 07:30 AM
salimshah

Code58, you are indeed a nice human being to offer help to others.

As you pointed out there are safety issues the other must consider, but let me remind you that your personal safety should not be overlooked. Just like others should think twice before asking some one to come over, so should you.

The next item is liability. Accidents happen and when they do, who gets to foot the repair bill, becomes an issue. Some of the markup at shops is to cover for such incidents.

Last of all, I feel bit ashamed in bringing to the surface, some of the bad scenarios. We certainly can not improve our society (or the world) with the "wont help, due to ..." attitude. I and my members of family have been helped by strangers and have done our share of helping people in need.

All I am saying, is be aware.

Salim
Old 05-19-09, 01:11 PM
Monttirw
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know of a Lexus mechanic in Southern California, Inland Empire area? Corona or Rancho Cucamonga

Last edited by Monttirw; 05-19-09 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: car will start but shut off right away...HELP