RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

That darned Nav

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-02, 06:22 AM
abnsvn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That darned Nav

My '02 Nav system is awesome, but when the wife and I are traveling anywhere and get lost, I want her to map out the correct destination on the fly. Unfortunately, the darned system will not let us enter any destination and limits functionality when the car is moving.

I understand that the driver should not try to manipulate the DVD system because it is dangerous. But most families taking a trip has the passenger manipulate it. And I would never do that (just like women don't ever put on eyeliner while driving!), but it sure ticks me off that we pay for a system that is designed to tell us how and when to use it. I guess it thinks that we are too dumb to know not how to use it.

Does anyone know how to bypass or fix this and let us operate the DVD Nav on the fly? If you do, you will have my eternal gratitude.:d
Old 03-22-02, 07:48 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default See !!

You shoulda saved some money and bought a portable.
Old 03-22-02, 07:50 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Sorry I don't know how to change that feature...

but I have to agree with you... it can be hard having to stop first when you want to navigate around and lost. Especially when getting lost in a bad neighborhood at night, personally I wouldn't want to stop first to use the nav to get me out of there... that would be stupid...

Anyways, I think the reason why Lexus disable that is to reduce accidents... Some people may actually use the nav to navigate at times when its not safe, --- so less accidents... means better vehicle image and brand...
Old 03-22-02, 01:22 PM
abnsvn
Driver School Candidate

Default navigation-less!!

I agree with you on the night thing. My wife and I were lost the other night and I had to pull over to set up the Nav. When I looked up, I realized that stopping in that neighborhood might not have been the wisest thing! I kept going looking for a safe place to stop. After 15 minutes or so, I figured out where I was.

That darned nav seems more like eye-candy sometimes!