RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oil Usage Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 12:58 PM
Daniella
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use synthetic oil. Although for emergency purposes had to put 10-w30 in yesterday just to get something in. I travel alot with my car and was on the road.
Old 05-15-09, 01:51 PM
Daniella
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use synthetic.
Old 05-15-09, 01:58 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oil could be leaked and burned. Auto-RX worked to slow my leak. It is a natural cleaner that works to disolves deposit that might build up on the piston seals.
Old 05-15-09, 11:10 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

What speed do you drive at ... cruise rpm instead of mph would be better.

A few months back, a fellow CL member from Saudi Arabia had a thread on burning oil at high cruising rpm.

Salim
Old 05-15-09, 11:16 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniella
I had an auto tech look at the front valve cover, ect. No gelling. So..now what?
No gelling. No smoke. No leakage. Where is the oil going?
Daniella- To bad you didn't take your camera and take a picture when he had the valve cover off and post it. He did actually take the cover off and inspect the valve area didn't he? Don't mean to bring insult to this whole picture it wouldn't be the first time "an auto tech" was asked to do something that he didn't understand fully and therefore wasn't done correctly. That kind of oil consumption is ABNORMAL at that # of miles and there should be a reason for it. The car hasn't ever been overheated has it? What brand of Syn. oil do you use? (it CAN make a difference) How long (miles) have you had the car? Of all things, synthetic should have kept this from happening. If you could answer these questions it would help us help you. Rear main seal was mentioned, it is a possibility, although that much oil out the rear main seal should cover the bottom of the car in open road driving.

Sorry D, I went back and saw that you are the original owner. What was the last time the PCV valve was replaced? (positive crankcase valve, on the passenger side on the rear valve cover)

Last edited by code58; 05-15-09 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-16-09, 05:09 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

4-5 quarts A MONTH is very very excessive and for you to see no signs of leaking or burn off is every strange. I have an Integra that is starting to burn oil and it loses only about two quarts between oil changes and I see visible blue smoke easily.

If there is no gelling (according to mechanic), there is not leak, and there is no burnoff, and we're talking 4-5 quarts, not 1 quart of oil, then it's quite a strange situation indeed. Even if it's leaking or going to the places where other's have described, you'd see some adverse affect by now.

Is this your first time seeing this, or it has been going on a while now? Who changes your oil? Maybe you have a case of incorrect fill up and slow burn off, so you think you're losing more than you are?
Old 05-16-09, 10:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Boergy
HY!

In europe some engines with this problem. The piston rings are stiff (sorry no other word) and the funktion is off. Make a oil-change with filter and gives 15min before the change, the Engine Cleaner from Liqui Moly into the oil. He cleans the fixed piston rings and the other oil dirt in the engine and the oil consumtion goes to normal.

greets

Tom
I love this stuff, I have been using this Liqui Moly product since I lived in Mexico. You can get it at Napa Auto Parts.
Old 05-16-09, 10:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniella
I had an auto tech look at the front valve cover, ect. No gelling. So..now what?
No gelling. No smoke. No leakage. Where is the oil going?
Salimshah mentioned compression, and I'd put my finger on that.

If you are not getting any check engine lights, then that's a sure sign.

The piston rings can get worn down after a while. I experienced the same thing when I was in Mexico, but I was very religious there about changing my oil often and didn't experience consumption since I have started using Castrol 0W30 oil, but I did notice I bit of a loss of power over time, particularly in my last year there, but it was ever so slight.

I used another product from Liqui Moly (it goes under Lubro Moly in the U.S.) at Napa Auto Parts, called Motor Oil Saver. It's only around $5 USD, and I found that stopped a good part of the issue and my compression felt up to speed after using it. A similar product would be Bar's Engine Oil Stop Leak or their Rear Main Seal Repair product, and I have seen those at most auto parts stores. Those can help regenerate the piston rings and improve compression. I have a hunch the oil is going right here into the combustion, and it would not be necessarily enough to trigger a check engine light.

My girlfriend's Ford Expedition loves to chug oil and I used the Motor Oil Saver product and the oil consumption issue has apparently stopped. In addition, I also switched her over to Castrol 0W30.