RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help! Transmission Failure symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 10:02 AM
jgaynor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again thanks to all who replied.

I had the dealer do a drain and refill. For the moment transmission performance has improved.

At one point I asked what they would charge me to drop the pan, clean it and replace the filter. I was informed "there is no filter".

The first (younger) service writer began talking about a transmission flush and the more senior rep told me "we don't even have the machine that does that" . The dealers printed service brochure states that they do and goes on at length about the wonder of the magical transmission solvents they use

The same brochure has a dealer recommended transmission fluid flush and replace at 30K, 60k and Lexus' factory recommended 90K.

At any rate I appreciate the advice and suggestions.

Regards,

Jim
Old 05-24-09, 10:24 AM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

Jim:

There is a "screen" which is a filter of sort.

As far as advice, we have gone over and over the Lexus recommended and people suggest here.

Salim
Old 05-24-09, 10:55 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

I have been through this so many times with my local Lexus dealer. They said the same thing....No filter.

After showing them the parts list for this transmission they said: "Oh! You mean the strainer!?"

Strainer, filter...Who cares! I does the same dang thing!
Old 05-24-09, 02:39 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by jgaynor
The first (younger) service writer began talking about a transmission flush and the more senior rep told me "we don't even have the machine that does that" . The dealers printed service brochure states that they do and goes on at length about the wonder of the magical transmission solvents they use

The same brochure has a dealer recommended transmission fluid flush and replace at 30K, 60k and Lexus' factory recommended 90K.
Sounds like a 2+ year old brochure. My dealer had the same equipment and waxed eloquently about its virtues......... 2 years ago! Now their story is "we don't flush - it dislodges particulate matter that destroys the transmission!"
Old 07-06-09, 03:00 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

sorry for the hijack but i didn't want to start yet another transmission thread....

we have a 2000 rx3000. about 47k mi on the odo.

yesterday i found it very reluctant to go into 4th gear (yes the overdrive button is not engaged). i would accelerate to traffic speeds, then lift or hold steady, but it won't shift into 4th... about 2-3 seconds would pass before it would give a slight lurch and into 4th gear it goes.

later, i ended up in a dead end road with a cul-de-sac/turaround, which i used to go back the way i came. i was going around at a low speed, holding steady at around 10mph in 2nd, and then suddenly it lurches into 1st and i'm lunging for the curb. i had to lift, but i had pedestrians scattering

the weather was really hot (for us) yesterday... 93'F on the display.

... am i in trouble?
Old 07-06-09, 05:35 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
sorry for the hijack but i didn't want to start yet another transmission thread....

yesterday i found it very reluctant to go into 4th gear (yes the overdrive button is not engaged). i would accelerate to traffic speeds, then lift or hold steady, but it won't shift into 4th... about 2-3 seconds would pass before it would give a slight lurch and into 4th gear it goes.

later, i ended up in a dead end road with a cul-de-sac/turaround, which i used to go back the way i came. i was going around at a low speed, holding steady at around 10mph in 2nd, and then suddenly it lurches into 1st and i'm lunging for the curb. i had to lift, but i had pedestrians scattering

... am i in trouble?
Wow a 2000 with only 47K miles! Sounds like it's just your weekend car. I wouldn't expect a trans failure at such low mileage but anything is possible. A check engine light is the most common cause of a RX not shifting into OD. Is yours on? Although when you mention the additional problems you are having it sounds like a trans begining to fail. First check your fluid. Is it up to the full line, is it brown or does it smell burnt?
Old 07-07-09, 05:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T

... am i in trouble?
Agree with mikey00 to check the fluid level and consistency. Even at the same level, as the fluid ages, the consistency can be affected to the point that the fluid may feel like it is lower than it actually is. One of the reasons I like to use Amsoil ATF (some others I know use Redline or Royal Purple without issue) over Toyota Type IV.

I'd disconnect the battery first and then drive normally for about 15 minutes with no heavy acceleration. If you can get out on the highway, even better for about half the time or more.

I can tell you that I have had a similar problem that I also attribute partially to the hot weather we have had down here in Florida. I was down in the Keys two times last week, Islamorada, and on my first return trip I got a code (P0125 and P1153 (that's bank 2 sensor 1 on the front of the engine block). I cleared the codes and then the vehicle ran smooth with great gas mileage in the 20s all the way home (like 60 miles). Next day, I have issues driving up to Coral Gables which is only like 5 to 6 miles up the road and also get a light, though this time only P1153.

One of the things I also noticed was a kind of slow rise into the next gear, though it would happen, and my tranny has less than 10K miles since we fixed it in Dec. 2007, but the fluid is just fine.

I topped off with some Chevron 93 to get a full tank, but before I did I tossed a bottle of Redline Fuel System Cleaner in there and cleaned the IACV sensor. I had some rough idle issues when I went about 1/2 mile to the Post Office (about 10 blocks), and then it dissipated and no issue, even when I went down to the Keys and back again.

However, I got the same light yesterday, but it was very, very hot, like over 100. Having been in the Tampa area last year around this time, I can recall having certain issues on very hot days (and I have a modified intake/exhaust). I might figure that the high humidity, especially in the Florida Keys, could have tripped something.

The other day I was driving my girlfriend's 99 Expedition a short drive and she also wound up having a similar issue with some hesitation and I got a pending A/F sensor code for her vehicle. For her truck, I seemed to have a bit better experience with the Lucas Fuel injector cleaner and also the Lubro Moly Jectron cleaner. Redline seems to do well, but the other ones appear to handle the Ford a bit better. Have not had any issues with her truck at all since.

Last edited by Lexmex; 07-08-09 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 07:40 PM
LexFather

Amsoil Tranny fluid is your friend...I put it in my mothers RX and the tranny shifts brand new now.....
Old 07-08-09, 06:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Amsoil Tranny fluid is your friend...I put it in my mothers RX and the tranny shifts brand new now.....
My GOD MAN!!!! 45,000 posts! how come I never see you around?? Any way re; the Amsoil trans fluid. I tried the Amsoil once and my trans shifted worse ( I think I have a special needs RX) So I tried this Wolfs Head full Synthetic fluid that covers a lot of applications.This stuff really works for me,has a horrible smell,but my trans has never shifted better!
Old 07-08-09, 11:54 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
My GOD MAN!!!! 45,000 posts! how come I never see you around?? Any way re; the Amsoil trans fluid. I tried the Amsoil once and my trans shifted worse ( I think I have a special needs RX) So I tried this Wolfs Head full Synthetic fluid that covers a lot of applications.This stuff really works for me,has a horrible smell,but my trans has never shifted better!
Lexus- It's kinda like hot dogs, you don't want'a ask what they make that stuff out of.
Old 07-09-09, 06:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Lexus- It's kinda like hot dogs, you don't want'a ask what they make that stuff out of.
hahahaha!! ^^^^^