RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 07:16 PM
Privacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air conditioning

does anyone Else's Radiator fans run on High with the a/c like 90% of the time when its only 80 degrees outside? mine seem to run on that loud High mode allot..I think the guy who did my a/c recharge screwed up the amount..i get cold air..but those radiator fans never used to run on high that much. Also Maybe its just me but my freaking Chrysler Town and country from 12 years ago has colder A/c Then this thing ever has. 48 degrees on the Van and 59 -65 Degrees on this SUV coming out of the vents.
when it gets above 90 degrees outside, the car barely keeps itself cool enough to tolerate. better then nothing
but how cold is YOUR air coming out of your vents? on the highest setting and recirc setting?
Old 05-28-09, 01:08 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pbeaugrand
does anyone Else's Radiator fans run on High with the a/c like 90% of the time when its only 80 degrees outside? mine seem to run on that loud High mode allot..I think the guy who did my a/c recharge screwed up the amount..i get cold air..but those radiator fans never used to run on high that much. Also Maybe its just me but my freaking Chrysler Town and country from 12 years ago has colder A/c Then this thing ever has. 48 degrees on the Van and 59 -65 Degrees on this SUV coming out of the vents.
when it gets above 90 degrees outside, the car barely keeps itself cool enough to tolerate. better then nothing
but how cold is YOUR air coming out of your vents? on the highest setting and recirc setting?
59-65 degrees coming out of the vents? Does the guy that did your air check the vent temp? That isn't borderline, that's RIDICULOUS! I'd be on his doorstep in the morning. When do you check the vent temp? With it idleing? To be honest, a mechanic isn't going to do this, but the temp should be checked at the vents on the open road, unless you've got a huge fan to train on the condenser. That is not right, unless you checked the vent temp idleing on a hot day in the sun.
By the way, why did you have it charged. My DIL's 99RX with 130k mi. has never been charged and is PLENTY cold.
Old 05-28-09, 06:26 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

That`s definitely not working right!! I would not use it until it gets straightened out.
Old 05-28-09, 07:49 AM
Privacy
Rookie

it was about 92F outside that day and it was me driving around with a thermometer on the vent.
why did I have it charged?...well some idiot at autozone thought he would help me out by putting some more charge into the system..ended up overfilling the entire thing while Im in the bathroom..i come out the air from my system is hot and the compressor wont kick In, im shouting why did you touch anything?? he runs inside, grabs another guy who says just let out the excess and it will kick in again, he used a gauge at least to release it, it was only a psi gauge though..he brought it down to 50 psi and the compressor kicked in and my air got cold but still not ice cold though since I have owned this car the air has never been ice cold like my mini van, moral of the story..never ever even for 5 minutes leave your car at some idiot shop where guys think they will *help* you, i ripped that guy a new one that day.

dont get me wrong, at 59 degrees the air that comes out is much colder then the outside air when its 92 F outside with the sun out.

its just not what I expect from a luxury car let alone a decent built car.

what *psi* should it be at?
i know real shops dont use that and know the exact amount at 650 but unless I shell out $200 for our local a/c shop, im out of luck, maybe still to much freon in the system?
Old 05-28-09, 11:26 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

The car or the manufacturer wasn't responsible for this so how is it anything to do with what you expect or don't expect from a Lexus?

Get the car fixed properly. You can try presenting the bill to autozone.
Old 05-28-09, 11:29 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Pbeaugrand, you do use your recirc. button on those hot days dont you?? Believe me,that will make a difference.
Old 05-28-09, 12:07 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
you do use your recirc. button on those hot days dont you??
I keep my setting on automatic and it automatically switches to recirculate when the computer thinks it need to.
Old 05-28-09, 03:16 PM
Privacy
Rookie

mine does the same, always on re circ.

the car NEVER had ice cold air...
i know other lexus's do..im just saying mine does not..and if this is properly working then Im disappointed by my luxury car when it comes to cooling
even before this incident..never ice cold.
so yes I blame the car as of right now
if your telling me the air out of your vents is under 59 degrees F then Yes its my car and I need to fix it
if not, then the car just doesn't have great AC, no big deal.
Old 05-28-09, 03:24 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

mine does the same, always on re circ.
Then I'd saying something is wrong. Mine is rarely on recirculate; never after driving a while.
Old 05-28-09, 05:41 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

I've never had a problem with my RX300's air conditioning blowing ice cold air - and dehumidified too (down here in NC, that as important as being cold). There's nothing wrong with Lexus's (Toyota's) air condition design or parts. Maybe yours has a problem. Only an experienced auto A/C shop can accurately determine the cause. More often than not it's NOT low refrigerant.
Old 05-29-09, 01:19 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

it was about 92F outside that day and it was me driving around with a thermometer on the vent.
why did I have it charged?...well some idiot at autozone thought he would help me out by putting some more charge into the system..ended up overfilling the entire thing while Im in the bathroom..i come out the air from my system is hot and the compressor wont kick In, im shouting why did you touch anything?? he runs inside, grabs another guy who says just let out the excess and it will kick in again, he used a gauge at least to release it, it was only a psi gauge though..he brought it down to 50 psi and the compressor kicked in and my air got cold but still not ice cold though since I have owned this car the air has never been ice cold like my mini van, moral of the story..never ever even for 5 minutes leave your car at some idiot shop where guys think they will *help* you, i ripped that guy a new one that day.

dont get me wrong, at 59 degrees the air that comes out is much colder then the outside air when its 92 F outside with the sun out.

what *psi* should it be at?
i know real shops dont use that and know the exact amount at 650 but unless I shell out $200 for our local a/c shop, im out of luck, maybe still to much freon in the system?
I think I'd let AZ take care of this one- they messed it up, they should fix it. I have added to my own vehicles (distant past) and others but I did A/C charging and when cars had a sight glass you could use that to add without messing things up. I believe Lexus still uses a sight glass- you could check that as a gauge as to whether it has too little. PSI can be used as a general gauge to tell you if it is somewhere in the ball park. I have a gauge like a tire gauge that is for A/C as it goes to 100 lbs or more. In my experience, STATIC pressure on an A/C system is APROXIMATELY outside ambient air temp, give or take 5 lbs.. Refrigerant expands and contracts in direct relationship to temp. I did body work (and all related work) for over 30 yrs. and when peoples cars get wrecked they want to get all they can for free, not realizing (or caring) that what they got for free was all on the technicians back because we were on strict commission. In self defense, when I got a front end hit that had not punctured the system, I always checked the pressure on the system before I evacuated and noted the pressure. If a customer tried to say after picking his car up that his A/C wasn't working properly and it was ice cold before the accident, I knew he was lying because his static pressure was only 35 when I evacuated and the outside air temp was 75. That's what I used the "quicky" gauge for. Looks like a tire gauge but made for A/C.