RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need help on brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 01:05 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Midas will rip u off. sorry but that is the truth.
Old 06-02-09, 04:57 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 312 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
Midas will rip u off. sorry but that is the truth.
They will?
Old 06-02-09, 08:18 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I must correct, from my experience they have, and at several locations. I find that a good independent would give you better service.
Old 06-03-09, 09:06 AM
athanedar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had detail talk with lexus service advisor to find out whether all the service which she has recommended is required or not. What caught my attention is she said brake pads are completely worn out due to which there is metal to metal friction and hence the sound. But I cant understand how come all of sudden the brake pads are worn out completely? Didnt had any problems till last week and suddenly it started giving noise.
I have not driven the vehicle much after the sound started coming. May be 20 miles. So the caliper seizing should be very less. Do rotor go bad if the car is driven for that much distance without pads? I was thinking whether just changing the brake pads will help me?
Old 06-03-09, 10:31 AM
salimshah

Received 1,053 Likes on 951 Posts

Once the pad is gone, you get metal to metal and that cuts a groove in the rotor ... see discussion on rotor turning.

A good shop [including dealership] will insist that you have the rotors turned, once the surface is marred.

If the groove is superficial (not deep) then you can get away by replacing the pads. Unfortunately you can have chipping in the pads, less effective braking and noise/shudder if the groove is more than superficial [this is why a reputable shop will insist on turning the rotors ... which in view is the right call .. once the surface is marred]. They dont want to do a half assed job, and have an unhappy customer.

If I was to fix it myself, I would run my nail across the rotor (need to have the wheel off .. and remember the rotor has two faces). If I dont feel a cut groove, then it is OK to just replace the pads. For visual, you can take an emry paper and polish the rotor surface.

I really think you need to find a mechanic that will do the needed repair.

Salim
Old 06-03-09, 11:17 AM
athanedar
Driver School Candidate

thanks salim .. yes i am getting the brakes repaired from mechanic. Will also keep in mind about the rotor groove. If the groove is deep enough then I will get that also turned / replaced.
Old 10-07-09, 03:03 PM
MarkG2000
Rookie

Also looking to do my rear pads. Went to Rockauto..$45+$9 ship. For the hell of it I went to my local Lexus. They use Toyota Parts...Retail $95 but discounted to $80. Went to the website discounttoyotaparts...$51.96. The question is....is the discount toyota part/pads the same as what's already on the car? They're blue...because if they are the same I'll buy it from them.
Went to a local parts store and they have Akebono for $55 and they come in TWO parts with the lub. The shim needs a dab...for what reason? Why two parts when the toyota has just one. Also...someone told me that with ceramic pads the rotor surface should NOT be smooth...needs a rough surface. Is this correct?

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-07-09, 04:06 PM
salimshah

Received 1,053 Likes on 951 Posts

There is a difference between smooth ans slick. You need full flat contact surface between the pad and disc.

Salim
Old 10-07-09, 06:25 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkG2000
The question is....is the discount toyota part/pads the same as what's already on the car? They're blue.
I got my replacement front and rear brake pads from irontoad.com, a Lexus dealer, and they were both painted light blue. Two Lexus mechanics said the rears are always blue, but they had never seen blue-painted front Lexus pads. The markings on the pads are the same as the old ones, so I'm guessing that Lexus/Toyota is switching the painted color of the front pads.
Old 10-09-09, 11:35 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
My 2 cents ...

Buy aftermarket pads but stick with OEM for the rest. Clean and rebuild using the parts you removed, buy salvaged parts or buy OEM. Short term cheapest solutions at times dont work well in the long run. Example, the aftermarket caliper may have the same outside dimensions, but the volume needed to move the pad may be different ... which may throw off the proportionating valve. If you are in a pinch then it is a different matter.

Good luck.

Salim
i second this, brake pads eh...whatever, but for the calipers definately go OEM, i got front rotors by centric and they work just fine but from what i understand that in itself is somewhat of a gamble as i have heard fo people buyin aftermarket rotors and it not fitting exactly right, ive just been lucky as hell, havent i ryan?
Old 10-09-09, 12:55 PM
AkebonoDC
Driver School Candidate

First , maybe I missed it but I didn't see why they suggested that you replace all the calipers.That is almost unbelievable.I have been in the brake business for 20 years and can't remember seeing a situation that required all calipers replaced.Please tell me why you need to replace all calipers.
I agree with the above.Aftermarket pads and rotors will be fine.I understand that all your pads could have been worn to the point the you rotors need replaced.BUT you should look at them and make sure for yourself.The quote was ridiculous.That is extremely too high for replacing all calipers( which I doubt is required )Brakes are not black magic.Once you get you hands on them you will find that it is very straight forward.
Old 10-09-09, 01:20 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing i can think of logically that would screw up the calipers is crazy excessive heat that messed up the rubber boot but even that is hard to imagine, for me anyway