RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

'03 RX300 brake rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 04:55 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default '03 RX300 brake rotor question

We bought our RX new spring of '03 and it's been one of the best cars I've ever owned. But I've already had the rotors turned once and now it feels like (less noticeable in humid weather) one of the rear rotors, probably right side needs it again. It doesn't come through the steering wheel like a front rotor would. The car just turned 60,000 miles and without abusive driving this seems unusual to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this???
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-09, 06:19 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

very unusual, I have 164k miles and I have the original rotors on the rear. They are not vented like the fronts, but I have never turned them. They are very thin, and wonder if turning them might have made them very susceptable early failure. I will tell you that the rear pads wore out first before the fronts....
Old 06-01-09, 06:54 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

I've had my front rotors turned twice, 96,000 miles and again at 120,000 miles, because of shimmying on braking (warped rotors). I think Lexus rotors are like BMW rotors - they are designed for long life (like the pads) and should probably be changed when the pads are changed (in my case, the first pad change was at 96,000 miles).

Last edited by sktn77a; 06-01-09 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-01-09, 07:55 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I subscribe to the theory that warped rotors are commonly caused by excessive/uneven lug-nut tightening. Once the rotors are machined down, warping is more likely.

Even Lexus dealers can't be counted on to torque the lug-nuts to the 76 ft-lb specification. Many tire stores don't even have a torque wrench available! Costco tire stores are an exception.
Old 06-01-09, 09:18 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had to change the rotors (front/rear) at around 90k, I could have turned them, but decided on getting new ones. It's def. weird that they would need to be turned again that quickly, but then again we don't know your driving style...
Old 06-01-09, 09:22 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Though dont trust Costco either, I have seen them not use torque wrench. And I have seen them use air gun to tighten lugs also, than go thru the motion of torque wrench. Hopefully the air gun wasnt set to highest setting.
Old 06-01-09, 10:39 AM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

Brake shops want customers to drive out and feel very pleased and thus they opt for turning the rotors (they make money on that too). Unfortunately for the owners, the rotors become more susceptible to future warping.

Other than grooves that get get if the pads are not replaced at the right time.

The warping happens due to:
1. Improper force due to incorrect torquing of wheel lugs.
2. How the metal of the rotors respond to heat stress (un-even expansion) and more so when hot rotors get splashed with cold(er) water (uneven contraction). [This factor gets lot worse as the metal is shaved off].

Some of the things you can help and some you cant. I have been doing my own pad replacement and have not had a need to turn or replace the rotors [I will opt to replace than turn but I have enough miles to justify a replacement].

Even if the rotors can be turned twice, I would suggest getting a new rotor.

Salim
Old 06-02-09, 12:37 PM
john0123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does it mean to turn a rotor?
Old 06-02-09, 12:54 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by john0123
What does it mean to turn a rotor?
The rotor is removed and placed on lathe machine. "turning" is the actual term, where the lathe machine spins the rotor and cutting tool remove material off the rotor and makes it smooth. The procedure is done on both sides and any uneveness is removed. After installation, when the brake is applied the pads contact the smooth surface and even braking is achieved.

It is much easier to think of a warped rotor (not smooth) .. when the brake is applied the pads make contact with the sticking out surface and make no contact for the valleys. Due to spining rotors you get brake and no brake .. which you feel as pulsations. The front wheels due to steering linkages has mechanical coupling and you feel the pulsation through the steering wheel. [also the contact/braking pressure and the surface area is more .... making the front end brake pulsations more noticeable].

Salim
Old 06-02-09, 01:17 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

See this thread I did when I turned my rotors in Mexico,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ng-rotors.html
Old 07-29-09, 10:39 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know the price of new rotors?? Opinions on Lexus vs aftermarket??
I have a 2002 RX with 157,000 miles on it. Rotors are just now starting to vibrate the steering wheel while driving. May have them turned vs replacing if possible depending on cost. We do 90% highway driving.
Old 07-29-09, 10:49 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by colenzae
I have a 2002 RX with 157,000 miles on it. Rotors are just now starting to vibrate the steering wheel while driving. May have them turned vs replacing if possible depending on cost. We do 90% highway driving.
I sold the RX300 I had when I started this link and took delivery on my new RX450h so I didn't have anything done. It's very rare that it's needed with the few miles I had on mine, it was abnormal to say the least. If you've never had your rotors turned, then that would be a very acceptable way to go and much less expensive. Unless you know your mechanic well, I'd use a Lexus store to turn them. They are very high quality rotors manufactured to Lexus standards and you don't want to remove more than is necessary. And do new pads all around at the same time (that will be the cheap part).

Good luck
Old 07-29-09, 11:10 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I have Autozone rotors on front & back and they have been fine.

The Brembo blanks are a good deal too. I think you can get them from Tirerack.
Old 07-30-09, 04:23 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colenzae
i replaced mine with ones made by centric, they were 65 bucks and had a non rust coating on all non-friction parts, seem to work just fine

also just fyi, I went about 215k miles on the original rotors for the front, the rear rotors are still going at 228k miles
Old 07-31-09, 07:21 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
i replaced mine with ones made by centric, they were 65 bucks and had a non rust coating on all non-friction parts, seem to work just fine

also just fyi, I went about 215k miles on the original rotors for the front, the rear rotors are still going at 228k miles
Same here I bought the Centric Rotors for the front and rear on my '99 RX300, I thought that the black coating was a great idea.

Quick Reply: '03 RX300 brake rotor question