RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 LCD Monitor and Housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-02 | 06:53 PM
Kantrax
Driver School Candidate

Default RX300 LCD Monitor and Housing

Has anyone purchased the LCD monitor and housing for the RX300 from the wholesaler Crutchfield.com? The housing is real cool as it replaces the top portion of the factory console and is specially designed to fit the Clarion 6.4" monitor and soon to be available 7" monitor. Anyone have any pictures they can upload for every LCD fanatic to enjoy?

For those of you who are not aware, please go to the following link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...AVCL1T&o=m&a=0
Old 03-28-02 | 09:58 PM
TN3
Rookie

Wow that thing is really cool, glad you posted link. its only 50 bucks, maybe i'll buy it, where does it go exactly?
Old 03-28-02 | 10:00 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Would you loose two cupholders with that setup? Just wondering, doesn't really bother me b/c drinking is NOT allowed in my RX!

-Nick
Old 03-29-02 | 03:52 PM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

i wonder if gray is the same or similar to black donno if i'd be willing to sacrifice the back cupholders. but at least i'd still have the one in the middle of the back bench
-Paul
Old 03-29-02 | 06:28 PM
Kantrax
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone,

Let me try to answer all your questions:

1. Crutchfield are doing a special promotion now. If you buy their 6.4" screen (you have to anyway as the housing is made only to fit their Clarion screens), then they throw in the housing free. The top portion of your factory console is removeable. Simply replace it with theirs. Fitting is simple as apparently the only tool you need is a Philips head screwdriver.

2. Yes, you would loose the two cup holders. Small sacrifice for a cool in-car entertainment system if you ask me.

3. I'm sure the gray version does match. They designed it for the RX300.
Old 03-29-02 | 06:42 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

ok we know its designed for the 6.4 clarion tv, but i think im willing to try and stick a diff brand of tv in there. yea u can get the console for "free" but you have to buy their $300 or so tv. lol i already have two tvs. and i think im gonna try to put the second one in there. hey $50 bucks aint bad if it doesnt work out. let me know what you guys think. should i try it with a different tv?
Old 03-29-02 | 07:55 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Once you have the T.V. and console unit mounted is all there is left to do is wire the T.V. to a power source and then wire a DVD or VCR to the monitor? Would it be easy to hook up a PS too? Also, does it get power from the rear cigarette lighter, or is that lost too

-Nick
Old 03-29-02 | 09:49 PM
Kantrax
Driver School Candidate

I can't remember where exactly but I think I read in another forum that you can find the same Clarion monitors cheaper elsewhere on the Internet. For those who want to buy, I suggest you search around first.

I would have thought that the recess in the housing would fit the Clarion monitors perfectly but any other TV that is similiar in size might fit with some slight DIY modifications to the housing, or if your lucky, with no modifications but an "acceptable" fit. Your guess is as good as mine here.

Yes, once the monitor and housing are fitted, then it's just the wiring from any external source to the monitor (DVD, VCR, video game console, etc). Also, I think the monitor itself takes the power from the inside of the rear outlet.

Last edited by Kantrax; 03-30-02 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-30-02 | 02:47 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

wow pretty nice. Can you use different LCD screens?? and ya i was also wondering can you hook up a dvd player or a ps2 or xbox to it also =) would be cool... too bad it wont be me watching dvds or playing games since i'll be driving lol
Old 03-30-02 | 11:06 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

i have that console installed in my ride right now but with a santeca monitor instead. it's pretty slick, fits well, but not perfect. i have my ps2 and another monitor in front as well. won't have pics of that set up til the front monitor is mounted permanantly, tho...
Old 03-30-02 | 02:02 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by StrmRdr23
i have that console installed in my ride right now but with a santeca monitor instead. it's pretty slick, fits well, but not perfect. i have my ps2 and another monitor in front as well. won't have pics of that set up til the front monitor is mounted permanantly, tho...
cool, lets us know when you're finished w/ pics.

-nick
Old 04-27-02 | 09:03 PM
Kantrax
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys, it's me again. I am happy to say that I just purchased a 7" LCD Monitor and Monitor Housing for my RX300. They look real awesome by the way (I'll post some pictures when I get a chance). Now I'm about to install it myself, however, I'm not sure how these things are usually set up. Should the sound be hardwired directly to the speakers (all four or just the two in the back) or can I somehow drive the sound through the built-in stereo amp? Or are these things usually set up to only be used through headphones (as I constantly see pictures of in advertisements)? My DVD player is a Blaupunkt but it doesn't have a headphone jack so if I use this player, I have to somehow find a way to wire it through the speakers.

Since the last string, has anyone bought these products and had them installed? It's the same one from the Crutchfield website (the VMA7191 monitor plus the RX300 Monitor Housing).

Strmrdr23, how do you have yours set up? Thanks.

Last edited by Kantrax; 04-27-02 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-29-02 | 05:54 AM
RXLover
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Excellent Mods!

I also recently bought the center console. But I bought the Q-logic 6.4 inch LCD monitor with built in TV Tuner, and FM Modulator. Mine has two AV inputs for my DVD player and Playstation. The Monitor fits in the console as if it was made for it.

Kantrax: What I would recommend, is to get an FM modulator ( a digital one sounds better) for your setup. If you are not already fimiliar with the FM Modulator, it hooks up to your radio antenna much like a CD changer would, you then tune to the specified radio station and enjoy the sounds through your factory radio.

I can post pictures if you like.
Old 04-29-02 | 07:38 AM
Kantrax
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestion on the FM modulator. I'll certainly check this out. Seems a sensible way to do it and driving the sound through the factory stereo was the way I hoped it is usually done. How much would a good digital FM modulator cost by the way? Yes, by all means, post the pictures when you get a chance. Thanks.
Old 04-29-02 | 08:59 AM
RXLover
Driver School Candidate

Post FM Modulator

A good Digital FM Modulator is running anywhere from $20 up to $100. Try to find one that blocks out the regular FM Signals when the FM modulator is in use (You get a better reception). Try Ebay there are alot of then last time I looked. I will post the pictures tomorrow when I get to my digital camera.

Quick Reply: RX300 LCD Monitor and Housing