RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine start button

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 07:26 PM
Krayziedxc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine start button

i always want to try this in the rx300, only reason why is because i have been thur 6 broken key remote and its really irritating me. anyways do i need to bypass this before i do this? or can i just install it direct.
Old 06-15-09, 08:52 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn`t recommend doing this.
Old 06-15-09, 09:30 AM
salimshah

Received 1,062 Likes on 957 Posts

The ignition key has more function than the energizing the starter ...

Significantly:
Steering lock
Test cycle for dash lamps.
Priming up of fuel delivery when the key is engaged.
Getting in to various settings with ignition key inserted (sequence of events).
Park-ignition iterlock as well as you can not accidentally remove key.
Accessory position
Cut out all the acc during start to prevent voltage spike from alternator.
Imobilizer sensor near ignition key .. needs key near it and not in your pocket.

Solve the above and then you can put in the push button.

Salim
Old 06-15-09, 01:15 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The ignition key has more function than the energizing the starter ...

Significantly:
Steering lock
Test cycle for dash lamps.
Priming up of fuel delivery when the key is engaged.
Getting in to various settings with ignition key inserted (sequence of events).
Park-ignition iterlock as well as you can not accidentally remove key.
Accessory position
Cut out all the acc during start to prevent voltage spike from alternator.
Imobilizer sensor near ignition key .. needs key near it and not in your pocket.

Solve the above and then you can put in the push button.

Salim
Salim (and Lexus 1144)- I believe what he was saying is he wanted to get rid of the stress on the key of twisting to start. He would still use the key for ignition and the other things you mentioned. Just trying to keep from having to buy housings. With a "start' button installed, he would get rid of the major destroyer of the remote housings. He would have to deal with the acc. that are fed with the key in ignition position that are cut out in start position but that could probably be done with one or more relays, if necessary, triggered by the start button.

Last edited by code58; 06-15-09 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-15-09, 04:41 PM
Krayziedxc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
Salim (and Lexus 1144)- I believe what he was saying is he wanted to get rid of the stress on the key of twisting to start. He would still use the key for ignition and the other things you mentioned. Just trying to keep from having to buy housings. With a "start' button installed, he would get rid of the major destroyer of the remote housings. He would have to deal with the acc. that are fed with the key in ignition position that are cut out in start position but that could probably be done with one or more relays, if necessary, triggered by the start button.
you got it. im still using the key but i want to use the button also,and yes im using a relay
Old 06-15-09, 05:21 PM
salimshah

imho; the most stressful condition is when the steering lock cog is stuck and the other is when you insert or remove the key ... the back pressure in start is very little.

It boils down to style and preference, so what ever makes you happy.

Salim
Old 06-15-09, 05:37 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So you still would insert the key into the dash, but have a secondary button also on the dash that you would press instead of twist the key? Sounds interestingly interesting to me. I LIKE IT !!! Factory push-button is best, but this would be a good alternative. Although, I don't think saves any time, probably uses a few extra seconds more time as you'd still have fumble to find the hole, insert the key, then look for the button to push. Whereas right now, once you insert the key, you twist.

Anyway, I LIKE IT... so do it and send some pics here.
Old 06-15-09, 06:27 PM
Krayziedxc
Driver School Candidate

so no need to bypass..alright..well thanks..i just need it cuz im going thur 6 new housing lexus keys and that the dumbest remote housing have ever made
Old 06-15-09, 11:39 PM
salimshah

You still need to mimic the conditions ... ign-key in run position .. when button pressed to start, you not only energize the starter BUT also disconnect all the connections that would have been disconnected when the key is moved to start. Not a trivial task, but can be done. Lot of people would shy away from cutting into harness.

I would suggest lap - 2 twist minimum, wind a thin strand of wire over the lap, solder and then shrink tubing.

@@@@@@@@ shrink tubing
###vvvv#### #is fodder [spaces are chomped] v is up/down thin wire winding.
====~~~==== = is the insulated wire. ~ is the 2 twist (minimum) lap joint
###^^^#### wire winding coming around
@@@@@@@@ solder not shown.

My shell cracked as the key was dropped. Once cracked, it can not handle the torque of just unlocking the door.

Good luck.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-16-09 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-15-09, 11:57 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Krayziedxc
you got it. im still using the key but i want to use the button also,and yes im using a relay
I've seen it done, believe it or not, as a very cleverly designed security device. I won't go into how it was done, but it was clever. After 6 key housings, I'd have to say you're a little bit hard on the remote key, but I don't blame you for wanting to find a solution to that, that's crazy!
If you have any reason to have interest in doubling as a security device, I'll PM you the details.

Last edited by code58; 06-16-09 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-16-09, 12:06 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
So you still would insert the key into the dash, but have a secondary button also on the dash that you would press instead of twist the key? Sounds interestingly interesting to me. I LIKE IT !!! Factory push-button is best, but this would be a good alternative. Although, I don't think saves any time, probably uses a few extra seconds more time as you'd still have fumble to find the hole, insert the key, then look for the button to push. Whereas right now, once you insert the key, you twist.

Anyway, I LIKE IT... so do it and send some pics here.
After replacing 6 broken key housings from, the stress of the twist to start is what he was trying to find an answer for, not the novelty of a push button start.
Old 06-16-09, 04:54 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Like a giant

Originally Posted by code58
After replacing 6 broken key housings from, the stress of the twist to start is what he was trying to find an answer for, not the novelty of a push button start.
hem... if this person went through 6 housings, then I'm thinking they're either very rough with things, have huge hands, or is built like Andre the Giant. So, with a button then, wouldn't they end up breaking the button?