RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 v. Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-02, 01:32 PM
dpaul
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 v. Highlander

I assume that the Highlander is built on the same platform as the RX300... I'm new to the Lexus/Toyota world, so if this is not correct---let me know!

If they share the same platform... what is the difference between the two????????
Old 03-31-02, 03:16 PM
Lvangundy

You are correct about them being similar..

Although, the RX300 is based on the camry platform (which gives it a smooth ride.)
Old 04-01-02, 09:15 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Rx vs HL

My understanding is that the HL was built on a slightly larger wheelbase as the result of comments from RX owners. Supposedly the next RX will be built on the same platform as the HL.

The only reason I see today to but an RX over an HL would be the RX can be had with HID. Otherwise they both share the same major flaws if they want to be considered serious non-offroad SUVs.

If you want a minvan that doesn't quite look like a minvan then either of these will work equally well.
Old 04-01-02, 09:28 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

These two vehicles were never meant to be considered serious off-road. If they were, they would have been equipped w/ lockable frt/rear differentials and 4WD low gearing.

Actually IMHO, any "serous" off-road vehcile should be built on a frame instead of an unibody.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-01-02 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-01-02, 10:59 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default It says...

"serious NON-offroad use...."
Old 04-01-02, 11:06 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

Default Re: It says...

Oops. Ah what is "serious" non-offroad use?? Like serious on-road use? That sounds like a dedicated sports car such as a BMW M3/M5 or something.

Originally posted by wwest
"serious NON-offroad use...."
Old 04-01-02, 11:47 AM
blackjack
Driver School Candidate

Don't worry about him, I've only been here a few days and I already know all he does is complain. I have gotten some useful info from him, and for that I thanked him, but the negative to positive ratio is skewed.
Old 04-01-02, 01:01 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The RX and Highlander (-'01and ES300) do use the same platform, the Camry. It's not the newest Camry but the previous generation. The Highlander is suppsed to be a little bigger than the RX, but I don't see it - inside or out.

"serious non-offroad" LOL, oh, that's a stretch.

-nick
Old 04-01-02, 02:02 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Serious Non-offroad

Adopted the term since most folks in the southern parts of the US assume the need for serious AWD capability only applies to off-road.

I could, of course, say lots of good things about any or all of the Lexus line, I have often said that the LS400 is without any doubt the very best luxury car in the marketplace. I have a 92 and I plan to keep it until Lexus builds an LS430 that matches it overall.

But, there are already lot's of folks out there more than willing to blow Lexus' "horn" for them but not so many of us willing to tell it like it truly is, and there are some people out there who will benefit from knowing the truth.

To me it's sorta like the sludge thing, if we don't talk about it, Lexus will never act to correct the problem, but the more we do to get the word out the quicker Lexus will get a fix out, and we will all have better vehicles for it.

So, do I help by blowing their "horn", so they can sell more cars, or do I openly disparage them for the few flaws, serious or no, and thus "encourage", modivate, them to build even better cars?

Last edited by wwest; 04-01-02 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-01-02, 02:16 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

So what is "serious non-off roading"???
Old 04-01-02, 02:36 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default serious non-offroading

jeff92se

Well, the snowstorm we had about ten days ago here in nearby Bellevue would fit. Many cars simply abandoned on the slight incline between 132nd and 148th on Northup, even more sideways with tires screaming and the acrid smell of burning rubber filling the air, even an Audi AWd with three guys helping to push from a level side street, unsuccessfully.

The snow fall was very cold and very dry and the instant someone drove over it it became a very slippery ice pack. Lots of broken cable chains lying here and there on the streets the next day.

Or pop up to Seattle sometime in the middle of winter and we'll go snow-skiing or make a trip over to Yakima, if the DOT has cleared the pass enough for it to be open.
Old 04-01-02, 02:54 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

Default Re: serious non-offroading

jeff92se

Well, the snowstorm we had about ten days ago here in nearby Bellevue would fit. Many cars simply abandoned on the slight incline between 132nd and 148th on Northup, even more sideways with tires screaming and the acrid smell of burning rubber filling the air, even an Audi AWd with three guys helping to push from a level side street, unsuccessfully.
I saw a bunch of stranded vehicles also. But upon futher investigation, they were not abandoned because they weren't "able" to move, it was mostly because traffic was a virtual standstill for hours. Thus many just jumped out of their vehicles and hiked it home.

The snow fall was very cold and very dry and the instant someone drove over it it became a very slippery ice pack. Lots of broken cable chains lying here and there on the streets the next day.

Or pop up to Seattle sometime in the middle of winter and we'll go snow-skiing or make a trip over to Yakima, if the DOT has cleared the pass enough for it to be open.
Unless you have studded tires, nothing will help on ice. I grew up in Seattle. Seattle winters ain't crap compared to the rest of the country. For the "pass" driving. I haven't tried out the RX on that stuff yet. But if that stuff gets bad, that's 4wd territory, unless you have cable chains or studded tires.

Using the Northwest weather is really a bad example. Being a native NWster, I can say w/o a doubt, that a FWD car w/ standard tires, will get you anywhere 90% of the time. Add studded tires, and that % goes up to 99%. If you need to get over the pass, add cable chains and that would probably get you though 99% of those "pass" conditions. So certianly the RX300 AWD would be that much easier. But so much is dependent on the tires you have. If you have worn or crap tires, even a VW 4WD vanagon w/ the optional lockable frt/rear differentials won't get you anywhere.

And in all honesty, I can't really justify a change in automaker just because it snows in the Seattle area maybe 1-2 times a year. I mean that nasty snow you talked about was all down by 2-3am and pretty much GONE by the next morning's commute. There "might" have been some side streets snowy but absolutely nothing even normal fwd couldn't handle.

If the conditions got to a point where the RX300 is going to have some trouble, I don't need to be out on the streets anyway. Reason? Because you are more likey to get stuck in traffic than in snow. So will will gladly take the "shortcomings"(if any) of the RX(maybe showing up once a year at the most) and enjoy the great ride/handling/interior room(from the unibody design) for the other 364 days of the year

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-01-02 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-01-02, 04:37 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default 10%

AS it happened my wife and I went out to dinner that very night and didn't discover how bad things were until we walked out of the restuarant. We were in our RX but couldn't really get anywhere due to all of the "stuck" cars, abandoned and otherwise. We finally wound our way home via residential "backroads".

That 10% figure only works if you're home in the nice and cozy and not alreay someplace away from home when things go bad.

"traffic was at a virtual standstill for hours"

And what was it that you suppose caused that?

Actually I had decided that I could live with the RX not being a "REAL" AWD, like you said cable chains work wonders. Then I discovered that NO chains can be used on the RX becuase of the tight, and I do mean TIGHT, suspension clearance to the rear tire thread. And even Lexus admits that chains only on the front can turn into disaster in a big hurry.

And, as I have said before I was surprised at how admirably the RX did that night in the snow. I had upgraded it to 17X8 wheels and wider than OEM michelin XCs but still, some credit must go to the AWD system.

Damn, it gualls me to say that!

No, really, I would like to see Lexus put the Sequoia firmware in the RX and simply eliminate the VC.
Old 04-03-02, 09:29 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

Default Re: 10%

And, as I have said before I was surprised at how admirably the RX did that night in the snow. I had upgraded it to 17X8 wheels and wider than OEM michelin XCs but still, some credit must go to the AWD system.

Damn, it gualls me to say that!
Old 04-03-02, 05:32 PM
dpaul
Driver School Candidate

Interesting stuff... but the thread has gone astray!

What's the difference between the RX300 and the Highlander (interior options, engine options, etc.)?

Quick Reply: RX300 v. Highlander