RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 RX 300 wouldnt start this morning....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 08:15 AM
rxmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2002 RX 300 wouldnt start this morning....

Truck has been running fine other than a slight hesitation while cruising every now and then. Drove it last night and everything seemed fine. I got up this morning to go to work and its just spinning over and not cranking. Not really sure how to check fuel pressure and spark on this vehicle. Truck has roughtly 92K miles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rxmom; 07-07-09 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 08:36 AM
salimshah

Received 1,062 Likes on 957 Posts

Little more explanation is needed ..

spinning NOT cranking is causing confusion ... starter spins and cranks the engine. So is the starter spinning freely?

Once the engine in cranked (turned) the spark and fuel + air make it catch and then the starter is not needed. [assuming the timing is some what correct]

IN between there is engine imobilizer that will not allow the spark. So I would suggest using another key to eliminate that.

FOr spark you can remove the engine cover (3 allen nuts and "L" signia) and remove a coil pack and pull out a plug. You can then check the spark. Checking timing is going to be hard and plug #1 is on the firewall side (closest to the passenger edge).

Tell us more about milage (timing belt), amount of gas in the tank, smell of exhaust (should get faint unburnt gas).

You can hold the gas pedal down to compensate for a bad idle control.

Besides that check on TPS (throttle position sensor) and IACV (idle air control valve).

Salim
Old 07-07-09, 08:57 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

salim,sounds like it`s disabling itself through the engine disablement system.rxmom,do you have another key? if so try it.
Old 07-07-09, 08:59 AM
rxmom
Driver School Candidate

sorry, its not cranking. Motor is simply turning over. Timing belt has not been replaced that I know of. We bought the truck with 62k miles. There's a 1/2 tank of gas in it now. I thought about it later that maybe we should try the other key(black key). The screw backed out of it, so we just kept it together and started using the grey key
Old 07-07-09, 09:52 AM
salimshah

"sorry, its not cranking. Motor is simply turning over"

I am still lost ... the problem is due to two words .. cranking (act of engine being turned under force ... main shaft spinning and piston moving by starter motor ... crank handles are thing of the past). Motor this can either stand for starter motor and in slang can mean engine as well.

starter motor spinning by itself? [high pitch sound as the motor is under no load] .. problem with solenoid/bendix.

engine being cranked [is being turned by the starter motor]? Normal start up sound grrr-grr (pistons moving up and down) with puffs of exhaust... imobilizer, spark, air-fuel, timing.

Salim
Old 07-07-09, 10:14 AM
rxmom
Driver School Candidate

LOL, sorry, the engine is cranking, but not starting
Old 07-07-09, 10:31 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rxmom
LOL, sorry, the engine is cranking, but not starting
Just check your security light when you insert the key. As long as it stops flashing the ECU is reading the key and it should start. If this is the case I would expect the IACV. Work the gas pedal as you try to start it. If this works you need to clean or replace the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). If procedure is needed just search this site for cleaning directions.
Timing belt is due to be changed at 90k but in reality will go much more. I don't expect it. Also spark is rarely a start problem with the RX. Plugs have individual coils and if one fails you usually still start but just run rough.

Last edited by mikey00; 07-07-09 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 10:56 AM
salimshah

^^ Correct for high voltage generation. The cam position sensor can be bad or giving wrong information, which may be causing spark at the wrong time for all cylinders.

So if the other key does not help and fiddling with the gas pedal does not help, it might be time to have the beast hooked up to diagnostic port. Without this, we will be shooting in the dark.

Salim
Old 07-07-09, 11:54 AM
rxmom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll try the other key when I get home and go from there
Old 07-07-09, 12:50 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thought that comes to my mind was once my car wouldnt continuously run, it would start but immediately die unless i kept my foot on the gas, turned out it was the MAF sensor, i think your best bet is to go "rent" a diagnostic tool from autozone and give us the codes so we can accurately do an internet diagnosis
Old 07-07-09, 01:37 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

You know the Battery could be in a real sub state maybe less than 10 volts. this could cause the no start condition.....
Old 07-07-09, 02:57 PM
rxmom
Driver School Candidate

I can get it to run as long as my foot is on the throttle. Sounds like the iac failed or needs cleaning. Where is this located? Thanks for all the help
Old 07-07-09, 03:01 PM
salimshah

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...x300-diys.html

see #3

Salim
Old 07-08-09, 06:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rxmom
I can get it to run as long as my foot is on the throttle. Sounds like the iac failed or needs cleaning. Where is this located? Thanks for all the help
BINGO!! IAC VALVE! (boy was I off on that one)
Old 07-10-09, 02:23 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IAC valve normally give you the symptom before they completely give out. I am surprised yours just died without warning. The iac valve on the first gen is a known problem.

Quick Reply: 2002 RX 300 wouldnt start this morning....