RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

clunking sound while driving in straight line

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 06:42 PM
opal10969
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking sound while driving in straight line

All of a sudden, as I pulled back onto the road yesterday, my 1999 RX300 started to make a clunking sound. The sound sped up as I accelerated, and slowed as I braked. It doesn't make a sound as I turn a corner (my first thought was a CV joint, having had that problem with a previous vehicle). I'm very nervous to drive it now, especially with my two year old in the vehicle, and especially nervous to take it on the highways and have to travel at highway speed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we just experienced what we thought was an alignment problem with our motorhome - but turned out to be a big rock stuck in between the dual tires - thank goodness - so I checked all my tires for any obvious rocks that might have gotten stuck - and saw nothing) Is this a strut issue? Or suspension? I hope this is something obvious to someone else!
Old 07-19-09, 11:00 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by opal10969
All of a sudden, as I pulled back onto the road yesterday, my 1999 RX300 started to make a clunking sound. The sound sped up as I accelerated, and slowed as I braked. It doesn't make a sound as I turn a corner (my first thought was a CV joint, having had that problem with a previous vehicle). I'm very nervous to drive it now, especially with my two year old in the vehicle, and especially nervous to take it on the highways and have to travel at highway speed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we just experienced what we thought was an alignment problem with our motorhome - but turned out to be a big rock stuck in between the dual tires - thank goodness - so I checked all my tires for any obvious rocks that might have gotten stuck - and saw nothing) Is this a strut issue? Or suspension? I hope this is something obvious to someone else!
I would say the first thing you need to do is jack it up and put it on jack stands so you can check ALL the joints. You didn't say whether it is FWD or AWD. A lot more joints to go bad if it's AWD. You should be able to feel it in the joint just by turning the shafts. If necessary to run it to check it, make SURE you have it securely on 4 stands if it is AWD. The CV joints are pretty tough buggers, but if they've never been changed, I wouldn't be surprised if something hasn't broken in one of them. That would be my 1st guess. Good Luck!
Old 07-20-09, 04:56 AM
opal10969
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks very much for your input! I'll get my husband right on it! It's an AWD unfortunately(?), as I don't think we have enough jacks. I hope it's not too big a job.

p.s. if it is a joint that's clunking, is it still okay to drive it? Is the worst case that it will do more 'wear damage' to the joint? as opposed to fall apart in the middle of driving!
Old 07-20-09, 06:45 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by opal10969
Thanks very much for your input! I'll get my husband right on it! It's an AWD unfortunately(?), as I don't think we have enough jacks. I hope it's not too big a job.

p.s. if it is a joint that's clunking, is it still okay to drive it? Is the worst case that it will do more 'wear damage' to the joint? as opposed to fall apart in the middle of driving!
Unless the sound is coming from the engine or tranny, the diagnosis of CV joint is probably correct. Worst case scenario ??? If it's the CV joint, it's worn metal parts are not playing happily. There is a finite number of times it will continue to rotate under the stress of pulling and slowing your car. The real fun happens (not) when you reach that finite number. Time to see your favorite mechanic. I hope you have one you can trust.

Let us know what you found out.

PS, I kept thinking this was familiar. You said it's AWD. I had a friend once that got some rope wrapped around the drive shaft and the rotation and flopping drove him nuts till he took it in. Then everyone got a good laugh. It's probably not that but stranger things have happened. And his car was not a Lexus.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-20-09 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-20-09, 08:11 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

If the joint is that bad, it could also put strain on the transaxle. Until you get it diagnosed I would not drive it.
Old 07-20-09, 08:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Here's some other possibilities for clunks and rattles, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ease-help.html
Old 07-20-09, 12:35 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thomas1
If the joint is that bad, it could also put strain on the transaxle. Until you get it diagnosed I would not drive it.
I agree with Cruiter and Lenore. When CV joints begin to make noises, they're PROBABLY not long for this world. The potential damage if it actually breaks isn't worth it. CV joints are pretty stout parts and when they begin to make noise it GENERALLY means they are bone dry of grease. I would check that 1st (because it's easy) and if you don't find a problem there, go ahead and explore Lexmex's link to try and find what the problem is. If you've ever seen a u-joint or CV joint come apart (break) at about 60MPH, you'll understand why I feel that is the 1st. place to check. It's not a pretty sight!
If it is a CV joint, the cure will simply be a rebuilt assembly, readily obtainable.
Old 07-20-09, 12:50 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

PS, I kept thinking this was familiar. You said it's AWD. I had a friend once that got some rope wrapped around the drive shaft and the rotation and flopping drove him nuts till he took it in. Then everyone got a good laugh. It's probably not that but stranger things have happened. And his car was not a Lexus.
One of the tricks (dirty) that guys have played on guys is to take a long zip-tie and tie it around the drive shaft of a vehicle and very lightly tape the end to the DS. when the person takes off, there will be no noise til you reach enough speed for the centrifugal force to break the end of the zip-tie loose from the tape. Won't hurt anything, but it'll sure scare the B'jesus out of 'em. Better yet, tie a small nut on the end of the zip-tie.
Old 07-20-09, 03:41 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

"I had a friend once that got some rope wrapped around the drive shaft and the rotation and flopping drove him nuts till he took it in. Then everyone got a good laugh. It's probably not that but stranger things have happened. And his car was not a Lexus."

Rope is a minor issue compared to a mattress.

Old 07-20-09, 04:46 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
"I had a friend once that got some rope wrapped around the drive shaft and the rotation and flopping drove him nuts till he took it in. Then everyone got a good laugh. It's probably not that but stranger things have happened. And his car was not a Lexus."

Rope is a minor issue compared to a mattress.

I quit, I know when I've been had. No way I can top that
Old 07-20-09, 05:18 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
+1 thomas, you don't want to damage the transaxle, major bucks to repair!
Old 07-20-09, 05:20 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

A friend sent me those a while back. It is the internet so take it for what it's worth, but they look real enough to me, but the story supposedly is:

This guy ran over a mattress and decided to keep going. The ensuing jumble finally whipped around enough to put a tear in the gas tank,

the subsequent lack of fuel is what finally brought this vehicle to its knees.

It had still managed to drive 30 more miles decently with a 60 lb. tangle wrapped around the driveshaft.

This guy complained that the vehicle had a "shimmy" when driving at high speeds.

This is what the dealership found.............

Last edited by carguy07; 07-21-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 07:34 AM
Pescao
Driver School Candidate

This guy needs a 8.0 earthquake to feel it!!!
Old 07-21-09, 11:15 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I quit, I know when I've been had. No way I can top that
Cruiter- No way anyone can top that!!!
It's truly scarey to think of being on the same road with Mr.& Mrs. Oblivion.
Old 07-21-09, 11:21 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carguy07
A friend sent me those a while back. It is the internet so take it for what it's worth, but they look real enough to me, but the story to me supposedly is:

This guy ran over a mattress and decided to keep going. The ensuing jumble finally whipped around enough to put a tear in the gas tank,

the subsequent lack of fuel is what finally brought this vehicle to its knees.

It had still managed to drive 30 more miles decently with a 60 lb. tangle wrapped around the driveshaft.

This guy complained that the vehicle had a "shimmy" when driving at high speeds.

This is what the dealership found.............
Guess there's no point in me trying the zip-tie trick on that guy!

That thing is a P.U. truck, and I still don't see how it ever managed to pull that. HOW MANY beers would it take to ignore that? Way too many!

Last edited by code58; 07-21-09 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: clunking sound while driving in straight line