RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Honey like fluid in the intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 05:22 AM
Pescao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honey like fluid in the intake

Guys,

I took apart the air canister and the corrugate hose (split in 2) to clean the AFS and found that the little hose that goes from the engine to the corrugate hose was full of sludge, making the intake looks dirty. I cleaned good, but still a little concern about the honey like sludge that came out of the hose, is there any way to by pass that little hose that comes from the engine? I did replace the PC valve about 2k miles ago.

Is that another PC valve?

Thanks
Old 07-20-09, 06:38 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pescao
Guys,

I took apart the air canister and the corrugate hose (split in 2) to clean the AFS and found that the little hose that goes from the engine to the corrugate hose was full of sludge, making the intake looks dirty. I cleaned good, but still a little concern about the honey like sludge that came out of the hose, is there any way to by pass that little hose that comes from the engine? I did replace the PC valve about 2k miles ago.

Thanks
That's your good 'Captain Morgan' Puerto Rico'n rum vapors. Just scrape into glass, add ice & cola and everything will be fine .

Oh sorry, I was on a holiday . My guess is it's varnish from engine vapors but I could be all wrong.
Old 07-20-09, 08:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Guys,

Thanks
I am not sure 100% of the hoses you are describing, but I think I know what you are referring to as bypass, as I have tried it myself. I have been experimenting with some ideas.

Take a look here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...fications.html

Starting at post 8.

Lately what I have been experimenting is not adding the extended black hosing on to the PCV valve and the other hose running from the top of the engine block. I'll try to take some photos later today to show this. I've been running like that for several months an no issues.
Old 07-20-09, 06:19 PM
Pescao
Driver School Candidate

Lexmex,

Great description of what I'm talking about, I'll give a try tomorrow and will keep you posted about how it works.

Thanks
Old 07-20-09, 07:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Sorry I am back so late. We've been having a lot of rain and nutty thunderstorms.

Here are some photos I took earlier this evening of my current experimentation. I have been running this setup for some months now.

Okay, on the driver's side we have this crankcase vent hose that comes out of the top of the engine block and goes to...absolutely nowhere. Meanwhile, as you saw in the prior thread I mentioned, I have capped off the place where the hose would have gone into (and thus thrown back the vapor and crud (i.e., honey-like substance).

Now, one may ask, well doesn't this allow oil and other stuff to drip somewhere?

I've been asking myself the same question, but thus far after several months of experimentation, I have seen no residue or anything dropping on to the top of the transmission (since I don't have an airbox).

By not having this crud go back into the engine, my throttle body is a lot cleaner, not to mention combustion.
Attached Thumbnails Honey like fluid in the intake-img_0706.jpg   Honey like fluid in the intake-img_0707.jpg   Honey like fluid in the intake-img_0708.jpg  
Old 07-20-09, 07:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now, on the passenger side, I disconnected the hose going between the PCV valve and the intake manifold and again capped off the entry on the intake manifold. Again, no problems here.

However, I should mention that the combustion cycle (when this system is functioning normally) is used to help 'suck' out the vapors, like a pump to be burned in the combustion cycle. By having this thing set up as is, the oil itself might be a little bit fouler than if this system was setup as it came from the factory. I'll accept that and change the oil more often if I have to. Right now, I am using Castrol 0W30 and the longer HP-2009 filter from K&N, and expect perhaps in a few months to do an oil change and we'll see what comes out at that time.
Attached Thumbnails Honey like fluid in the intake-img_0709.jpg   Honey like fluid in the intake-img_0710.jpg  
Old 07-21-09, 03:07 AM
Pescao
Driver School Candidate

Great, I heard that some cars need the crank vent connected to the throttle, seems like ours don't. I'll do some test today and I'll let you know.

Thanks
Old 07-21-09, 10:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Great, I heard that some cars need the crank vent connected to the throttle, seems like ours don't. I'll do some test today and I'll let you know.

Thanks
As long as those holes are capped off (like I did with those rubber pieces), you should be fine. The duct tape should be used behind it to create a tight seal, though you can trim the excess tape off for aesthetic reasons.
Old 07-21-09, 12:31 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiter
that's your good 'captain morgan' puerto rico'n rum vapors. Just scrape into glass, add ice & cola and everything will be fine .

oh sorry, i was on a holiday . My guess is it's varnish from engine vapors but i could be all wrong.
amen brother!!
Old 07-21-09, 05:07 PM
Pescao
Driver School Candidate

Lexmex,

Did the experiment, the idle is a little bit higher now, but very smooth.

Thanks

By the way Cruiter, have you try a Pain killer??? its made out of Captain Morgans, very nice drink but kicks like a horse!!!
Old 07-21-09, 07:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Lexmex,

Did the experiment, the idle is a little bit higher now, but very smooth.

Thanks

By the way Cruiter, have you try a Pain killer??? its made out of Captain Morgans, very nice drink but kicks like a horse!!!
The vehicle should adjust over time. You may need to clean the IACV at some point, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...-write-up.html

I have to do that on occasion and that usually helps the idle.
Old 07-21-09, 07:59 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Ok im confused, mabey i dont know how to read but what is the point of this??
Old 07-22-09, 12:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
Ok im confused, mabey i dont know how to read but what is the point of this??
By doing this, we are not allowing gases, vapors (basically oil crud) to go into the combustion process, allowing for a cleaner burn of air/fuel.

Some people do this using an oil catch tank or having a little air filter on the end of the hose, but I have found the method I have done works just fine.
Old 07-22-09, 05:12 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Returns

Originally Posted by Lexmex
By doing this, we are not allowing gases, vapors (basically oil crud) to go into the combustion process, allowing for a cleaner burn of air/fuel.

Some people do this using an oil catch tank or having a little air filter on the end of the hose, but I have found the method I have done works just fine.
Aren't there environmental implications by not allowing those minute amount of vapors to go back to get "reprocessed" again? I thought these things were basically to lower emissions, so have your emission numbers increased any?

I'm thinking if your vehicle is old enough and your numbers are "just passing" that this bypass might actually bump you into failing numbers...
Old 07-22-09, 06:41 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Here in california they would probably fail you on the visual check....

Quick Reply: Honey like fluid in the intake