RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door Speaker Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-02, 08:47 AM
Goncookoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 of 3

side note... man you can only post messages at intervals of 60 secs? lucky i got only 3 pics... man itd suck if i had like 10 or more... that means id have to do this for at least 10 min!

[IMG]C:\WINNT\Profiles\pwang.MATHWORKS\Desktop\uti6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-11-02, 08:48 AM
Goncookoo

3 of 3

waited 60 seconds more...

[IMG]C:\WINNT\Profiles\pwang.MATHWORKS\Desktop\uti7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-11-02, 09:56 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

the pics arnt comming up, why not. lol wait longer than 60secs next time maybe, lol
Old 04-12-02, 02:33 PM
Goncookoo

dude! that is the weirdest thing!

the images didnt show up either on my computer.

well i just noticed that I erased the images from the folder i had them in. so i undeleted my trash and put them back into the folder, and POOF! the images reappear in this newsgroup!

what? are the images somehow tied to my HD? thats impossible. isnt it? how the hell do you map a link to my HD? arent there security issues....

so how do i put an image on the newsgroup if i want it to stay? im using the IMG button. am i doing it wrong?

goncookoo

oooo i just saw the attach file thing on the bottom... humm ill do that! but it still amazes me that they have a link onto my HD or something... im not sure how they are doing it but it kind of freaks me out.
Attached Thumbnails Door Speaker Removal?-uti1.jpg  
Old 04-12-02, 02:34 PM
Goncookoo

carp the 60 second thing again!
Attached Thumbnails Door Speaker Removal?-uti6.jpg  
Old 04-12-02, 02:34 PM
Goncookoo

last one
Attached Thumbnails Door Speaker Removal?-uti7.jpg  
Old 04-12-02, 05:44 PM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

uhhh.. wow.. thats a lotta anchor points. Now I'm hesitant that this is an easy do-it-yourselfer job.

Prying on that panel with the window switches make me especially queasy.

How about the tweeters? Does the little grill pop out or do you have to dig under the dash(god help me if thats the case)?

Also, is it the same for the rear doors?

At this point it would be prudent to just invest in a service manual.

... Sigh... still awaiting delivery of the clear corners and bulbs...
Old 04-12-02, 05:46 PM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

Also, is that first image reversed? I could swear thats the passenger side door on the left side. Maybe a Japanese version of the Silversport?
Old 04-12-02, 07:37 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

That looks like a japanese version of the RX altogether. It even has the cloth
Old 04-12-02, 10:20 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

yeah.....it's japanese. i found them on a site a while back ago......unfortunately i found them after taking 3 hours to remove mine. i'm still looking for the rest of the pics i had of the rear and the sub.
Old 04-13-02, 10:30 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

max, the tweeters just pop up. not the metel grill but the whole little triangle piece pops up and off. then there is a clip to disconnect the wire harness from the tweeter. its so funny you asked this, bc just yesterday i tried this and it workrd. i have pics so ill try posting them soon
Old 04-13-02, 12:11 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

good news everyone, i have just recently (5minutes ago) successfully taken off both passenger front and reay door panels. wow was it fun, oh specail thanks to shonuff. he provided me with pics and descriptions, very nice guy. anyway yea so i took pics also, but get this. in another forum ive read that the speakers are 6 1/4 up front and 4'' in rears, well they are not. i measured the speakers and whole openings (took pics as well with ruler) and the fronts are just 6'' and the rears (get ready for this, really good news) are 5 1/4. yeahh so i can put in a much better speaker with more power handling than a 4''. ok guys hope that helped.
Old 04-14-02, 11:21 AM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

DJSprinkles,

If you could post or email those pics of the tweeters and how they pop off that would be sweet.

Those are 3/4 inch tweeters right? Anybody had good experience with aftermarket drop-ins?
Old 04-14-02, 06:20 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

maxlex, sorry but im goin in the middle of this week to get my pics developed. then im not sure when ill be home to scan them. im not sure about the size of those. certainly didnt look powerful at all. about ur question of drop in's i want to replace all stock speakers but concerned about the adapters, i dont want to cut them.does crutchfield or anywhere else make adapters for the lex
Old 04-15-02, 05:11 AM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, havent been here for while...

I too wanted to change the speakers. I got a box and an amp and the bass is great. But the stock speakers are not up to par.
This info is just for the front speakers...

You dont really have to take the whole door panel off. just remove the bottom clips and you can lift the bottom of the panel. There is enough space to get under there and remove the speaker.
Uses 3 10 mm ( i think, cannot remember 100%) bolts to secure speaker mount to door.

The bad news is Lexus made a custom mount for the speakers (01 model at least). You cannot just buy and plug and play a speaker. You have to custom mount it in either the door, or cut up the OEM speaker casing and mount it in there.

Also the speaker you use is important. I tried out a few speakers and they just did not sound right. I went back to OEM for now. IF you use a speaker with its own tweeters the sound just doesnt come out right. At least for me. I suppose what is better is to replace the mid with a mid and the tweet with a tweet. Dont replace the mid with a set of speakers that have their own tweets. The ones I had were Sonys and they had 2 tweets on them. I wasnt getting enough mid from that setup. So when I have time I am going to try a component speaker system and see how that goes. But that gets more complex as it has its own crossover deal and you have to think about the OEM amp with its own cross over...
Anyone else finish the swap? What did you use for the front speakers and how did it sound?

I had the car tinted too, all around. Little tiny bubbles are OK, they will evaporate and disappear. I wondered the same thing too about the bubbles. After a week they were all gone.

"the images didnt show up either on my computer.

well i just noticed that I erased the images from the folder i had them in. so i undeleted my trash and put them back into the folder, and POOF! the images reappear in this newsgroup!

what? are the images somehow tied to my HD? thats impossible. isnt it? how the hell do you map a link to my HD? arent there security issues.... "

You see them on your computer because you have them linked to your HD. In essence the computer is looking at the links as if your HD is a server. We couldnt see them because we are not connected to your computer..You see them, we dont. You have to upload them to a real server for all of us to see them.

Quick Reply: Door Speaker Removal?