RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door Speaker Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02, 02:47 PM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Door Speaker Removal?

I've been a lurker here for a few months and I just recently purchased a '01 certified preowned RX with all the goodies. The stereo is ok but I'd like to upgrade the stock speakers.

How tough is it to replace the door speakers?

Do you have to take off the entire inside door panel or do the grills pop out somehow?

I was trying to pry on them a little but there was little give and I didn't want to break anything. I also tried to search back on this question but couldn't find anything but the speaker sizes.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks...

P.S. I just had the front windows tinted out to match the back and the car looks a lot tighter now.
Old 04-09-02, 02:10 PM
Goncookoo

Ive never welcomed anyone to this newsgroup (family) before, so here goes...

Welcome to our newsgroup MAXLEX!

Now that thats done... I TOO need to get into the door and take a look at my speakers! Im hearing funny crackling noises, buzzing sounds, and occasional sound outages (front passenger and rear drivers).

Maybe somethings loose or I blew it out. But I dont think I did. I dont think ive ever put the base over 3 and listened to really loud music, so I dont think it was my fault. When I listen to NPR at a bass level of 2 (is that too high for NPR ???) I get the blown out speaker buzz sometimes.

I brought it to the lexus dealer ship twice and they said they cant hear it and it never buzzes when its at the dealer! Damn temperamental car...

Sorry to be a little off topic, but do you guys think its a loose wire or did I blow it out? I know if I turn the volume up to some music heavy with base, I do hear the buzz. Would this warrant a trip to the dealer for a new set of speakers or is it normal for a 3 year old car? anyone else having stock speaker problems.

goncookoo
Old 04-10-02, 05:21 AM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the greeting...

While it seems that people here either don't know how to remove the speakers or don't want to reply I can tell you that based on what you mentioned it seems that you may have amplifier or head units problems. If all speakers are having the the same symptom, then its most likely not them.

For example I have some annoying rattles in the front driver doors that sound like they are coming from the speakers, but after pressing on various trim pieces found that its just vibration based.

I would suggest that you take it to the dealer if you can easily replicate the problem as it will probably only get worse as time goes on.

On a side note, I'm enjoying having a new car to play around with as I've fallen out of love with my other car(Maxima). Its a shame there are not more customization options for this truck but hopefully the proliferation of the Highlander will improve that.

Have a good one,

Maxlex
Old 04-10-02, 10:05 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

hey.....if you got an e-mail addy let me know and i'll send you a pic of where all the screws and fastners are on the door panels.

i'm too lazy to post the pic....only condition is you have to post the pics on this thread once you get them.
Old 04-10-02, 10:11 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

shonuff, im intereted too in seeing pics of all the screws and how to remove the door panels. please email me, at djredex@aol.com
Old 04-10-02, 12:36 PM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

Default Email...

Shonuff,

That'd be great if you could email me those pics.... send em to: jayborke@comcast.net

When I buy some new speakers and install them I'll post some digital cam pics of the whole process.

I just ordered Clear corners and Silvervision bulbs for them so that'll be my first installation project. Should be fun. Anybody want pics of that installation?

Later!
Old 04-10-02, 01:12 PM
Goncookoo

I'd like pics of the process.

If I cant get my speakers fixed I might as well get a new system...

goncookoo@aol.com is my email address.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 04-10-02, 01:28 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

maxlex, id like pics of that install too, send to djredex@aol.com
Old 04-10-02, 01:33 PM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

DJ Sprinkles,

You got it...though I probably won't have the time to do the install on the clear corners until next week.... plus the blubs are coming from England so who knows how long that'll take.

On another side note: Who has experience with window tinting? Is it normal for there to be small bubbles initially? The install guy said these would come out over time and that the tint just needs time to 'heal'.
Old 04-10-02, 01:54 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I had tinting done ao another vechicle and was told the same thing about small bubbles I had. Mine did go away. They were little bubbles of water that eventually evaporated.

-nick
Old 04-10-02, 01:54 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

max, i dont know about that window tintin, sounds like that guys was bull****tin u, truthfully if there are any bubbles in it, it prob looks real nasty, ew i hate when cars look like that. please dont ride around with a lexus with bubbly tint, lol
Old 04-10-02, 02:18 PM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... Well the guy that did the tint is 2 blocks from my house. I'm gonna take the car over to him tomorrow to have the tint checked out.

If he wants anymore business from me he'd better make sure this tint is perfect. He's trying to sell my wife a cell phone and me some speakers. Not to make excuses for him, but that mirror tint does look tough to work with.
Old 04-10-02, 09:13 PM
PlanetAudioRX
Rookie

I had my friend install my speakers for me, I had noticed that the stock ones would get scratchy. Specifically the little tweeters in the front. Those are scrathy even on like 1. The bass is a joke. Turn it past like 2 and the panels vibrate. I suggest getting any subs that arent stock.
Old 04-11-02, 05:38 AM
nevio
Driver School Candidate

I would like also pics , how to remove door panels.

nevio_t@hotmail.com
Old 04-11-02, 08:45 AM
Goncookoo

at the request of SHONUFF... here are the pics...

1 of 3

[IMG]C:\WINNT\Profiles\pwang.MATHWORKS\Desktop\uti1.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Door Speaker Removal?